• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2022 at 8:16 PM, Raze said:

May not be the best pic but here is the first one I think he did. He offered it on the boards a while back and I bought one and now it’s hanging above my desk.

@Red84

image.jpg

Thanks again for the support! There's few things better than knowing someone likes your art enough to display it!

On 8/9/2022 at 9:32 PM, darkstar said:

This thread has been around less than three days and is approaching more views and replies than the mycomicshop selling experience thread that has been around for 11 months and a front page staple since its creation. Just a tremendous cockup for something that should have never even been an issue and then the powers that be decided to double down on their stance when giving the option to pivot and correct their mistake early on. 

I feel like 3rd party groups that are profiting off of the hobby will always just double and triple down. They expect people to get distracted and forget about it. Don't forget and keep holding people accountable.

Legal angle that may not have been brought up yet, for all the people saying why can't CGC just own up to a mistake and unlist these, and maybe refund Black Flag the grading fees, etc.  

There is approximately a 0% chance that Black Flag commissioned this variant without getting an assurance from CGC ahead of time that it would get a Blue Label.  I'm not suggesting grade-buying or specific guarantees of any particular grades like some are also speculating, just, Blue Labels.  Were CGC to back out now and say, "sorry, actually we won't count these as Blue Labels anymore even though we told you we would," they would then be liable to Black Flag.  They'd have to pony up, not just the cost Black Flag paid for the commissioning and the grading, but for Black Flagg's lost profits too (and, as we have seen, these things are selling).   CGC is not going to go that much in the hole on this.  They just won't.   

On 8/9/2022 at 9:44 PM, Axelrod said:

CGC is not going to go that much in the hole on this.  They just won't.   

At this point for CGC it is one hole or the other.. Either way ...

giphy-14.gif.632055ea0e5fb8dd81b05b75d0e1e242.gif

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Edit quote down to section I was actually quoting.

On 8/9/2022 at 9:44 PM, Axelrod said:

Legal angle that may not have been brought up yet, for all the people saying why can't CGC just own up to a mistake and unlist these, and maybe refund Black Flag the grading fees, etc.  

There is approximately a 0% chance that Black Flag commissioned this variant without getting an assurance from CGC ahead of time that it would get a Blue Label.  I'm not suggesting grade-buying or specific guarantees of any particular grades like some are also speculating, just, Blue Labels.  Were CGC to back out now and say, "sorry, actually we won't count these as Blue Labels anymore even though we told you we would," they would then be liable to Black Flag.  They'd have to pony up, not just the cost Black Flag paid for the commissioning and the grading, but for Black Flagg's lost profits too (and, as we have seen, these things are selling).   CGC is not going to go that much in the hole on this.  They just won't.   

They shouldn't of thought it was good idea in the first place. Cgc has gotten too cozy with online retailers and artists.

On 8/9/2022 at 10:44 PM, Axelrod said:

I doubt it. Let's leave out the fact that CGC has a multi-billion dollar company and its legal team behind it, and let's actually assume that there was some sort of tangible agreement upfront, and let's assume that it could actually be enforced... there's still the fact that any kind of threats or "demand" to CGC to make them whole in the situation would - even if they get paid - likely result in them being banned from using CGCs services at all in the future. Pretty sure that in itself would be a death sentence for Black Flag...if this entire situation doesn't do it for them.