• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2022 at 7:58 PM, justafan said:

And what brand is is that exactly?  Because I honestly don't know what shred of integrity behind their brand they have left after everything we've seen in the last 24 hours. 30 books submitted to CGC with 3 different unofficial Acetate covers stapled on by a third party that isn't the publisher or original distributor of the facsimile variant without the the publisher's awareness or approval get somehow authorized to be graded and not only come back all Universal Blue but all come back with at least 1 10.0 for each of the 3 different covers, at least 3 9.9s for each of the 3 different covers (4 9.9s for one of the covers), and at least 5 9.8's for all 3 different covers.  That's 3 10.0 out of a submission of 30 books, 10 9.9's out of 30 books, and 17 9.8's when the original facsimile edition without the acetate covers previously submitted never achieved a single 9.9 or higher?  That's a ratio of 1 in 10 came back a 10.0 on a 30 book submission. 1 in 3 came back a 9.9 on a 30 book submission. and a little more than 1 in 2 got a 9.8.  That is150% success rate for books that had been sitting around for half a year and then just had aftermarket modifications in the form of 2 additional staples, 4 new holes, added to the spine causing additional stress on the original cover spine and interior pages.    That just reeks of a quid pro quo assured manufactured grade distribution, an utter disregard for their own grading standards and disrespect for every CGC submitter and collector relying on a fair and impartial grading company.  An "incorrect choice" is the understatement of the year here.  They've depreciated every 10.0, 9.9, and 9.8 book ever graded prior to this and any thereafter.  At least in the past we could chalk some gift grades and over/under grades to an off day for the grader.  But this...this just looks like systemic fraud.

Oh lord lol

The extreme hyperbole in this post. 

image.png.abfc296079839b3035787f5bc4aaebe1.png

I will remember that when people have a comic they can make money on, but their morals come calling right?  Give me a break. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 8/10/2022 at 10:02 AM, KB81 said:

CGC said that the artist was either involved or did the acetate art, is that correct? 

Yes. It was CGC'S claim that Clayton Crain who did the cover for that Ultimate Fallout reprint also did the Acetate Cover Overlay, which is why they said they allowed it to be attached and considered it to be acceptable as a Blue Label Universal grade.:facepalm:

On 8/10/2022 at 10:07 AM, DrunkWooky said:

Good guy, Chip Gettler donating all his ebay auction to Mission 22, a military charity:

https://youtu.be/olhVNXcK5jw

But, Ebay stated that the item violated the Counterfeit Item Policy. "They received a report regarding its authenticity." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4G7L_Gquv4

Ah so it took reporting them to have it removed.  

(Well I'm off  to report all listings for them now. )

On 8/10/2022 at 10:17 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I wonder if CGC thinks that they've washed their hands of this topic after their last 'official response' that Mike conveyed. That would be Their Typical Modis Operandi. 

FTFY..

On 8/10/2022 at 11:15 AM, Lirion said:

Maybe it's about the grade to some, but I didn't get past the label color to get to the grade based on my example of how I would understand the grading process to be. Seeing such an obvious "flaw" in the addition of the acetate cover and additional staples to me precedes the grade because it should have been flagged right there. You send a book in that has a signature on the cover that was witnessed by CGC and it will be flagged before the grading begins. 

Please note that I do believe that the apparent "pay for grade" is a problem (which is why I added the bit about adding an asterisk next to the grade and note on the label as it being a promotional thing and not an actual grade). With me being a process driven person, the failure at CGC for this book happened before the grading even began at the lack of taking the added cover into consideration. Completely dismissing it is the first point of failure which is why I stand by my opinion that it is not 100% about the grade. While I, like many of the folk here, are going to be questioning every graded book they have and see, they should be questioning label assignment too. I have a Green Label book (Batman Harley Quinn, Alex Ross cover) that is signed by Aaron Sowd. Typical store/con signing...wait in line, say how much I love the art and that I'm a fan, typical 'Thank you. I appreciate hearing that. Have a great rest of your day.' reply and handing my book back to me signed. I decided last year to have it graded to be a wall hanger. Added a sticky note asking that it be graded for the book itself and to count the signature as a "flaw" and give it a blue label (Why? I read stuff on the forums that blue with a lower grade is preferable to a green with a higher grade and being new to all of this I wanted the blue label). It came back as green. I'm bringing this up because while my note was discarded/ignored, the graders saw the "non-cgc witnessed" signature and immediately went green label. Back to the UF4 book...CGC should have, first and foremost saw the cover, realized it wasn't legit from the distributor and flagged it green before any grading occurred. They didn't and thus a failure point before grading even began which is why I am not on board with the 100% grading thing. It's being dismissive of the first and most obvious thing most people see....label color and what it means. I see any label color other than Blue or Yellow and I immediately scrutinize the book and it's grade. I see Blue and I'm not doing much more of anything unless it's trying to determine why a book received that certain grade if it's not really high or really low.

Side note: I have a Spider-Man #1 McFarlane black/silver still in bag that won't ever be graded due to me getting McFarlane's signature at a con many years ago (before COAs and cell phone cameras) and he actually signed it on the bag which he apparently doesn't do anymore. CGC won't grade it in the bag so there's no point (not sending it to the other guy either, same bag reason.) It's in an Ultra Pro magnetic on my wall.

PXL_20220810_151248397.jpg

:banana:The sticky note part is a huge win for this post. :banana:

On 8/10/2022 at 10:28 AM, Beastfeast said:

I'd buy a slabbed 9.8 waffle fry, I think. 

Don't give CGC any ideas. They are already trying to get into enough stupid expansion ideas to start with this kinda crap.. 

On 8/10/2022 at 12:26 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Yes. It was CGC'S claim that Clayton Crain who did the cover for that Ultimate Fallout reprint also did the Acetate Cover Overlay, which is why they said they allowed it to be attached and considered it to be acceptable as a Blue Label Universal grade.:facepalm:

K, thought I read that in here. Thx.

On 8/10/2022 at 11:10 AM, cbalroman said:

Curious on why his was pulled but there a number of raws still up on ebay.  Does ebay only consider Counterfeit if in a CGC case?

Think that it was mentioned that someone reported it and that was why it was removed.  

So all it will take is enough people reporting each listing of these that pop up and ebay will remove them. 

On 8/10/2022 at 9:37 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Might be hard for you to understand, but many do turn down money to preserve their integrity.:baiting:

No they don't :deadhorse: