• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 1:42 PM, mattn792 said:

Why the confusion?  The sellers got had, should we let the sellers pull one over on other buyers?  And then they can do the same?  The cycle has to end somewhere, let it die now.  Now is also probably the best chance to hold CGC and Black Flag accountable for this fraud they've perpetrated.

Agreed, but it seems people are more focused on reporting ebay listings now. But I digest...

On 8/10/2022 at 1:43 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

Can't wait to see the "spec, flipper, influencer" line at the Boston con coming up.  

Talk about a walk of shame 

It's just a line for people who want more than one copy.  Why is that shameful? 

On 8/10/2022 at 11:32 AM, jsilverjanet said:

what are the numbers for the facsimile of UF4, the original book that this is attached to, that might be a good start

Edited to add these are the results for New York Comic Con 2021 exclusive.  I believe someone else has already posted the results for the original variant that is being discussed.  I'd have to imagine this book should have similar grading results to the variant discussed but clearly it doesn't.

Grade Universal Qualified Signature Series Restored
See Detail
  Total
Mint   10.0 0 0 0 0   0
Mint   9.9 0 0 0 0   0
Near Mint/Mint   9.8 1569 0 115 0   1684
Near Mint +   9.6 199 0 12 0   211
Edited by thehumantorch

On 8/10/2022 at 1:59 PM, Barth said:

Am I correct in stating that if you replace the staples on a book, no married cover or pages, it would be a green label?

purple or conserved if you use period staples?

I think that it's either Conserved or Restored, not Qualified.

On 8/10/2022 at 1:57 PM, thehumantorch said:

If that's the case than what's to stop us from taking any lower grade book and attaching a mint acetate cover to game the grading system?

Yea you all have points, I was merely thinking about this due to the double cover cgc cases giving a grade for both covers.

On 8/10/2022 at 10:22 AM, october said:

This just happened. Should I immediately up and quit the message board I've been on since 2004 while simultaneously pizzing on the bonfire I made of my vintage slabs? 

You can try all you want to minimize this, but virtually everyone else recognizes how awful a look this is. I guess it's easier to take shots at board members rather than admitting your personal cash cow is getting uglier by the year. 

I think I was pretty clear yesterday I think this situation was a bad look for everyone involved. :wavingwhiteflag:

On 8/10/2022 at 2:02 PM, ygogolak said:
On 8/10/2022 at 2:00 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

They grade the whole book and nothing but the book.  

Yes, but as far as the cover goes....if you have four covers they use the highest, correct?

If the book has four covers that are all 10.0s, but the book has Brittle Pages, the book is getting a 7.0 or something. 

On 8/10/2022 at 12:05 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

If the book has four covers that are all 10.0s, but the book has Brittle Pages, the book is getting a 7.0 or something. 

A quick aside - this book is a facsimile edition. Admittedly, I don't know anything about the actual book - is it like a real facsimile, like a photocopy of the actual book? I'm not clear on the insides of the book.

On 8/10/2022 at 2:00 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:
On 8/10/2022 at 1:59 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

You're right.  I was just looking at it a minute ago. 

1.thumb.jpg.0f292d7d2e975d7d407964a6b6bbc343.jpg

Expand  

It's working on my phone. Maybe I'm lagging?

I have two laptops in front of me.  One says "this page isn't available".  The other laptop shows me his Instagram page.  Weird. 

1.thumb.jpg.35ca8ed5113266bd86642e31dc6daf8b.jpg

On 8/10/2022 at 11:23 AM, wardevil0 said:

This morning I bought Chik-fil-A on the app while in my car.  When I got to the restaurant, I walked right past the people in line and got my order.  No problem.

Variant covers and convention exclusives often sell out before everyone who wants one gets one.  Very common for SDCC, BotCon, etc.  No problem.

CGC certified a manipulated comic as "blue label universal," and has demonstrated they will provide 1x 10, 3x 9.9, and 6x 9.8 for these items to be ready on the day of sale.  BIG PROBLEM.

If we had 8x 9.8s and 2x 9.6s in a Qualified green label, this would be a non-issue.

The key difference here is chik-fil-a advertises their app and it's free to download and use.  Every chik-fil-A customer has access to the app and can do the same thing.  You can choose not to use the app.  It would be like saying every convention attendee had access to a Black Flag app that they could have been allowed to purchase the con exclusive ahead of the con opening but that also granted them early access to the con to pick up their items without having to wait in line. 

If everyone attending the con who wanted the hideous UF4 acetate bootleg "knew" that they could just make a side deal with Black Flag before the con and could actually get access to the booth before the doors opened (he began selling to the alleged line cutter "influencers" 15 min prior to the doors opening to the public but while a bunch of exhibitors and VIPs were still in line) to buy in bulk, don't you think many would have opted to do that, too?  No, Black Flag and the side-deal hustlers are not off the hook on this one.  BIG PROBLEM for them and any convention promoter and dealer planning to do exclusives in the future.  This should be a valuable lesson to be learned by them.