• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2022 at 11:36 AM, FFB said:

But that was the whole problem with the bootleg books in the first place.  If Marvel gives its approval to a project, then it's an authorized release and is no longer a bootleg.  

I'm not sure what your problem is with this.  Marvel can do whatever they want with their IP.  

I have zero problems aside from wishing Marvel would have specifically addressed the 3 acetate covers. Because without them addressing those 3 specifically, David Gabriel's memo could definitely be taken the way that I was talking about. Just a warning to retailers who choose to do a store variant to not alter the book themselves. But if a top tier Marvel approved artist is working beside a store variant retailer and they want to do something like this, your odds of getting Marvel approval absolutely increase.

But that memo makes zero mention of Blag Flag, the 3 books, Clayton Crain, etc. 

On 8/16/2022 at 11:27 AM, BoognishRises said:

Look how David Gabriel carefully chose to say no "retailer" may make changes after. No mention of an artist/creator. Remember what CGC said? They said the did what they did because it was created BY Clayton Crain. 

David Gabriel's memo might just be a warning to future RETAILERS to not get cute and try this themselves. But I'd bet anything they'd be on board if a well known artist/creator ran it by them first. They'll get the stamp of approval then.

When was the last time Crain worked for Marvel?

There is a reason he's been on a road tour for three years. Marvel now regards him as a retailer.

On 8/16/2022 at 11:08 AM, s-dali said:

This tells me that what happened with BF and Crain is not, and was not, allowed by Marvel at any time. It looks like they are sending out a reminder ("remember") to everyone just in case other retailers are thinking of doing this. Then it looks like they changed the wording in the contracts to make it crystal clear to everyone!! Perhaps they decided to specifically call out acetate covers.

Yeah, I read it as a “here’s a reminder, and I’ll make it real easy to understand for you dum dums out there.”

if they would have written it like that, with emphasis on dum dums, I think I’d be obliged to add every Marvel book to my pull list. 

On 8/16/2022 at 12:40 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Yeah, I read it as a “here’s a reminder, and I’ll make it real easy to understand for you dum dums out there.”

if they would have written it like that, with emphasis on dum dums, I think I’d be obliged to add every Marvel book to my pull list. 

Happy Birthday GIFs | Tenor

image.thumb.png.fe1f2cdc5c1d6c4d1cb7e8f0b439de89.png

If Marvel doesn't approve of this, does that mean CGC is not going to trot out the new label that explains how a green label is now a blue label if an "established" artist does the work?  Or has that horse left the barn with that cha-cha-ching that Black Flag gave CGC.  Just wanted to know if I should tell people to stick their acetate in the mail box or to take their acetate and stick it somewhere else.

Edited by toro

On 8/16/2022 at 2:24 PM, Mike's Rack said:
On 8/16/2022 at 11:48 AM, s-dali said:

Greg Horn does comic book store exclusives and exclusives just for his art store. I'd think some other artists would do it also. 

GREG HORN ART STORE

That would make him an artist and a retailer.  An artist and a retailer is still a retailer.

Yeah, it sure would. I was just giving @shadroch an example of an artist selling his own exclusive covers. Horn is the one I know of. I'd be surprised if he was the only one.