• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2022 at 4:41 PM, Pantodude said:

Oh boy.  Whatever CGC does, i really hope it is not a double-cover type thing.  That should be reserved for the cool manufacturing defect to avoid confusion. 

Ya lol

I at least realize that it was confusing . I saw green label and just assumed. :makepoint:

Simple responses given so far, I guess that I was giving the benefit of the doubt. :cry:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/23/2022 at 10:52 PM, jaybuck43 said:

In reading into what Mike said, I think they kind of did (without coming out and explaining it).  They treated the Acetate as the cover and the cover as "interior pages".  The grade has always been dependent on the cover and spine, not the interior pages.  Once the corners and cover are graded, they then just count the interior pages and make a page color determination.  So a dinged cover gets covered in 3 mil acetate which is going to be perfect or near perfect, and suddenly the corners and spine are perfect and you see a proliferation of high grades.  

What you are talking to is pretty reasonable for near mint and below provided there are no major defects in the interior such as staining tears creases etc

When we cross over into mint 9.9 and gem mint 10.0  the whole book should be pristine..  10.0 is the unicorn.  

Edited by MGH

I kinda gave up on this thread and all of a sudden I see 10 unread pages.  :whatthe:  Glad CGC issued a statement to give the book a qualified label, even if it shouldn't have taken 2 weeks and almost 200 pages to come to the right conclusion.

On 8/22/2022 at 5:13 PM, Buzzetta said:

Good to hear that CGC is doing the right thing especially after reading what the competition did to one of their biggest submitters, Clan McDonald Comics, breaking the chain of custody on 367 books and losing them. 

My god.  I don't read the other boards, but that sounds horrible.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:13 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Personally, I think SS witnesses should be directly employed by CGC.  It’s a chink in the armour of the SS program to permit  those that witness signatures....to also sell those SS books. 

This is my biggest concern with the Signature Series program.  All it takes is one unscrupulous witness and suddenly the validity of everything is brought into question.  I refuse to submit signed books to the other company because of how they give verified sigs a yellow label (yes, it still states 'verified' as opposed to 'witnessed').  I hope we never cross that bridge, but you're right in stating that it is a week point in the system.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:52 AM, jaybuck43 said:

In reading into what Mike said, I think they kind of did (without coming out and explaining it).  They treated the Acetate as the cover and the cover as "interior pages".  The grade has always been dependent on the cover and spine, not the interior pages.  Once the corners and cover are graded, they then just count the interior pages and make a page color determination.  So a dinged cover gets covered in 3 mil acetate which is going to be perfect or near perfect, and suddenly the corners and spine are perfect and you see a proliferation of high grades.  

If you believe that CGC is counting interior pages on modern books then I have an acetate bridge to sell you.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:53 PM, ExNihilo said:

I'm not sure its even being talked about on the other boards (I don't go there either, but I just did a quick scan to see if it was being mentioned and it's possible I might have missed it), it was posted in that vendor's private facebook group. Which seems weird because whenever something happens here there's people from the other forums who can't post about it fast enough

Edited by JC25427N

On 8/23/2022 at 8:53 PM, ExNihilo said:

I kinda gave up on this thread and all of a sudden I see 10 unread pages.  :whatthe:  Glad CGC issued a statement to give the book a qualified label, even if it shouldn't have taken 2 weeks and almost 200 pages to come to the right conclusion.

This is my biggest concern with the Signature Series program.  All it takes is one unscrupulous witness and suddenly the validity of everything is brought into question.  I refuse to submit signed books to the other company because of how they give verified sigs a yellow label (yes, it still states 'verified' as opposed to 'witnessed').  I hope we never cross that bridge, but you're right in stating that it is a week point in the system.

It's a concern of mine as well, but it is an imperfect system overall.

Since CGC seemingly seldom does shows anymore, therefore it's essentially the only way.

Even when they did shows, there were at times I thought there were so many ways to deceive the process as the witness was not present when he should (walked off while he should be witnessing) or leading so many folks in a group that I could have switched up items or added to my pile. 

As long as we trust these folks, we shouldn't doubt them until we find a reason to mistrust them and then we start a thread. And bother CGC Mike some more.

We should send CGC Mike something for all of this.

Maybe a gift basket with an assortment of hot sauces, jams, dried fruit and cheeses.

Of course the gift basket will be wrapped likely in a cellophane which will sort of resemble an acetate covering to protect all the items.

Edited by Monstertruck97

On 8/23/2022 at 4:30 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ah I get it now, I should have posted my 1st post in response to @Beyonder123 as a question.

I took it as a double cover grade at first, but that isn't specifically stated either so it is confusing until we see results. No worries. 

I took it as they'd grade the acetate, grade the book, and come up with a label, but that to me has always even terminology for double covers. I'd tag cgc Mike, but lol

Either it's not clear or wait and see?  :shy:

Since it should be a given that they grade the interior of the book in addition to the cover I took this part of the new guidance as a way of alluding to the inflated grades without actually mentioning it and to try to give a plausible explanation, like we didn’t pay enough attention to the interior of the book.

but now I don’t know.