• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Open discussion off the c2e2 drama. Are influencers destroying the hobby?
3 3

151 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 12:29 PM, pillar81 said:

Aside from the influencers, I think Black Flag and CGC may be setting a dangerous precedent by being allowed to alter a book and sell it and have CGC allow it to be graded. 

???

lol

CGC literally has a special, premium label for altered books.

How CGC grades any particular copy or issue is a different matter.

On 8/10/2022 at 5:33 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I've seen a lot of ridiculous reasons for wanting/buying a book.....and this ranks towards the top.

The people who made this variant......CGC......the people who wanted it.....and the people who actually bought it.

I can't help but think they're all exhausting the world's supply of stupid. 

No, I think a new supply of stupid was found.  That’s what ‘they’ are drilling for now, instead of oil.

C602AD2F-68EE-4A0F-8EF0-C54E25313A07.gif

On 8/10/2022 at 3:35 PM, Ryan. said:

We survived the 90s. We'll be okay.

Yes, the comic market was terrible in 1993, 1994. Gem Mint explains Black Flag marries shiny acetate cover to reprint of UF 4 then get slabbed fast by CGC at 9.8, 9.9, 10.0 Blue labels for max legitimization that the remaining raw copies at C2E2 'could be' 9.8 slabbed also for the flip via WhatNot.

If you have been around and on Instagram and other sites for the last five years or so and have not figured out that certain “influencers” are just part of the game, well they are. 

My suggestion? Don’t watch them or follow them. Then you won’t be affected in any way by them:) win win!

On 8/10/2022 at 11:12 AM, aardvark88 said:

Just a newer version of Wizard mag, Comics Value Monthly (CVM) and Overstreet Monthly hype machine moved to YouTube and IG WhatNot:

You beat me to saying it.....you are correct 110%!  That is where I have been having fun, and why I rarely come on the boards anymore.  My side fun is on "whatnot," however I have fun when I stream and try to educate people not "influence them."  Honestly that is probably why I have been to growing so fast.  Not blowing smoke at them, etc....

On 8/10/2022 at 8:02 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

You beat me to saying it.....you are correct 110%!  That is where I have been having fun, and why I rarely come on the boards anymore.  My side fun is on "whatnot," however I have fun when I stream and try to educate people not "influence them."  Honestly that is probably why I have been to growing so fast.  Not blowing smoke at them, etc....

What’s your whatnot name

On 8/10/2022 at 7:33 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I've seen a lot of ridiculous reasons for wanting/buying a book.....and this ranks towards the top.

The people who made this variant......CGC......the people who wanted it.....and the people who actually bought it.

I can't help but think they're all exhausting the world's supply of stupid. 

AB34F2CB-5A91-4C15-85BE-E7806EC8FC01.jpeg.36941203e24d5f5b10597e01a18c875c.jpeg

-Alexandre Dumas