• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did this ONE slab out of 25 get SO damaged, out of the box from CGC?
3 3

19 posts in this topic

Longtime customer, this is my second complaint. I received a number of books in a large box from CGC today.  25 slabs. I had started pulling them out, looking upon the plasticized/protected goodness, when I realized one slab ...was not just chipped, but it was nearly shattered.

NO OTHER slab is damaged in any way. The box was not beat up other than the corners showing some wear, but nothing else. No indication of any trauma. The slab was about the 4th or 5th one in, so it was away from the corners. And the slabs both in front of, and behind it were untouched.

This is the most-damaged slab I've ever seen (maybe I'm lucky), and it's the most-damaged I've held. 

It makes no sense.  I have a theory, but that will wait.

What are my options here?

2022 Aug damaged case smaller ver.jpg

2022 4087278021 group smaller.jpg

2022 4087278021 solo smaller.jpg

2022 4087278021 side smaller.jpg

2022 4087278021 rear smaller.jpg

Did you check for a bullet hole on the side of the box? Very strange. Only thought is that it wasn't lined up (fitted together) with the surrounding slabs and the box got a good bump or drop.  Thankfully the comic book appears to be OK.

On 8/11/2022 at 12:27 AM, Grendel72 said:

Just email cgc and let them know.  They will slab it for you again. And I forgot to mention earlier, those are some pretty awesome books 

I've now emailed service@CGCcomics.com  *FOUR* times and each time the message has been returned undeliverable by Mimecast.  Guess a  phone call will have to do.

Edited by Sackolantern
too much info

On 8/10/2022 at 11:39 PM, Sackolantern said:

I've now emailed service@CGCcomics.com  *FOUR* times and each time the message has been returned undeliverable by Mimecast.  Guess a  phone call will have to do.

You may have the wrong e-mail address:

submissions@cgccomics.com

You can also try the Ask CGC forum; it's monitored by real CGC support people and they usually respond within a day.

Amazing comics, and please let me know how it goes!

On 8/11/2022 at 1:43 PM, Sackolantern said:

Thanks forthe direction, I will ask over there. As for having the wrong email...well, I'm submitting where they say...

cgc contact.JPG

I understand. The one I provided is the one I've seen support use when responding.

You may already know this, but in case not:

If you decide to do a reholder they will be slicing out the book from the inner well. It looks like your damage is on the outside holder, but they won't just do a swap and you'll have to acknowledge a damage waiver.

I did confirm that if they damage your book during a ReHolder they'll regrade it for free before slabbing!

Edited by KirbyTown

On 8/11/2022 at 2:43 PM, Sackolantern said:

Thanks forthe direction, I will ask over there. As for having the wrong email...well, I'm submitting where they say...

cgc contact.JPG

I have had this problem, too, using the address above.  I had it in my GMail Contacts, used it before with no problem.  Recently won't go through. 

I was trying to get a message over to accounting, so just sent it directly there instead.  Took the lazy way out.  Hope I don't need them in the future.

On 8/12/2022 at 12:38 PM, Courageous Cat said:

simply fill out another submission form under mechanical error. Collectors Comics on YouTube has a decent tutorial he made recently on this

Per MattM CS    "In order to send in MEs, they must first be approved by our customer service team. Please send us an image of each book in question showing the reason for the return AND the certification number of the slab IN THE SAME IMAGE. This will allow our team to process your ME request as quickly as possible. If books are sent in for ME submissions but not approved ahead of time, this could result in reholder fees to your account. "

On 8/19/2022 at 11:39 PM, Sackolantern said:

Thanks, all. I spoke with CGC the other day via phone - it's heading  their way in the AM.

Congrats! Be sure to post results for these outstanding pieces of amazing, they will look great!!

On 8/21/2022 at 12:13 PM, Gaard said:

Just a thought..

If an email address is no longer any good, maybe it should not be on CGC's website.

* This is the 2nd thread I've seen where a customer's emails have been bounced when sending it to this address.

I'm sorry, this makes far too much sense.