• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Good Stuff

18 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2022 at 9:10 PM, KirbyTown said:

I recently helped someone assess their childhood comic book collection which remained untouched for thirty years. This note was found inside the sealed box and the owner was happy to let me share it on the forum. Hope you enjoy:

Dear future (me) -

For a few years, and beginning around '87, your friends and you read and collected comic books.

You began when (friend) interested you in a title called "the X-men" which was very popular and branched out into as many titles as Marvel Comics could get kids to buy.

That got a little childish and you became interested in more 'mature' titles, such as Watchmen, Sandman and Akira.

Many comics you bought purely for investment purposes. Punisher limited series you got for under a quarter each at a toy store, and it is now worth a lot, maybe $14 or so.

The comics with cardboard backings should be worth a little more. Batman, the Killing Joke is 1st print, and should be worth something, as well as 4 Batmans called "A Death in the Family". I bought these for cover price, and they quickly shot up to $100 for the four of them, but are no longer worth that.

I changed the subject of this letter from you to me, whoops.

Captain America 337 should be worth something because he quits in that issue.  Many comics are worth more because something special happened in them.

The bulk of my comics were purchased for very little in the attempt to build up a collection.

I did enjoy reading some of them, and even if I only get about half of what they are worth, I should make some profit.

The bags are supposed to be replaced every few years, but I don't think it makes such a difference.

If you would enjoy finding out about how much these things are worth, buy a price guide, (the most popular now is the Overstreet guide) and judge their condition.

I would urge you to hold onto them. They should keep rising in value, and though they do take up a lot of space, they would be a neat thing to hand down to kids and grandkids.

Please don't take them out to read without first checking their value. Some reallly may be worth quite a bit - who knows.

Store them away from sunlight and in a dry area. Use common sense. Don't handle them roughly. Avoid fires.

8/8/91
(me)

4BE0CF72-FC5D-4FFD-ABFF-962C7C9208FE.thumb.jpeg.164a1404dda05b431ba0e388833c5da8.jpeg

That’s awesome always cool to read things like these. Makes me want to write a note to future me.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:51 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Always fun reading things like this. Thank you for sharing. 

On 8/16/2022 at 12:02 AM, Krismusic said:

That’s awesome always cool to read things like these. Makes me want to write a note to future me.

So glad you enjoyed!

On 8/15/2022 at 9:10 PM, KirbyTown said:

I recently helped someone assess their childhood comic book collection which remained untouched for thirty years. This note was found inside the sealed box and the owner was happy to let me share it on the forum. Hope you enjoy:

Dear future (me) -

For a few years, and beginning around '87, your friends and you read and collected comic books.

You began when (friend) interested you in a title called "the X-men" which was very popular and branched out into as many titles as Marvel Comics could get kids to buy.

That got a little childish and you became interested in more 'mature' titles, such as Watchmen, Sandman and Akira.

Many comics you bought purely for investment purposes. Punisher limited series you got for under a quarter each at a toy store, and it is now worth a lot, maybe $14 or so.

The comics with cardboard backings should be worth a little more. Batman, the Killing Joke is 1st print, and should be worth something, as well as 4 Batmans called "A Death in the Family". I bought these for cover price, and they quickly shot up to $100 for the four of them, but are no longer worth that.

I changed the subject of this letter from you to me, whoops.

Captain America 337 should be worth something because he quits in that issue. Many comics are worth more because something special happened in them.

The bulk of my comics were purchased for very little in the attempt to build up a collection.

I did enjoy reading some of them, and even if I only get about half of what they are worth, I should make some profit.

The bags are supposed to be replaced every few years, but I don't think it makes such a difference.

If you would enjoy finding out about how much these things are worth, buy a price guide, (the most popular now is the Overstreet guide) and judge their condition.

I would urge you to hold onto them. They should keep rising in value, and though they do take up a lot of space, they would be a neat thing to hand down to kids and grandkids.

Please don't take them out to read without first checking their value. Some really may be worth quite a bit - who knows.

Store them away from sunlight and in a dry area. Use common sense. Don't handle them roughly. Avoid fires.

8/8/91
(me)

4BE0CF72-FC5D-4FFD-ABFF-962C7C9208FE.thumb.jpeg.164a1404dda05b431ba0e388833c5da8.jpeg

:applause:

Love it!!!!!!!

On 8/15/2022 at 10:02 PM, Krismusic said:

Four years ago, I wrote emails to myself , spaced out to be delivered  every few months. Just reminders to stay the course and drive thru whatever obstacles life puts in front of me.  I followed the websites instructions and forgot about it. So did they, as none were ever delivered.

On 8/17/2022 at 10:11 AM, shadroch said:

Four years ago, I wrote emails to myself , spaced out to be delivered  every few months. Just reminders to stay the course and drive thru whatever obstacles life puts in front of me.  I followed the websites instructions and forgot about it. So did they, as none were ever delivered.

That sucks that they weren’t delivered but at least u remember having wrote them… 

On 8/16/2022 at 1:02 AM, Krismusic said:

I'm the one who discovered the letter in my comic collection. It was super cool to find, but also made me wish I'd written a letter to my future self that wasn't just about comics.

On 8/17/2022 at 8:03 AM, stephenlev said:

I'm the one who discovered the letter in my comic collection. It was super cool to find, but also made me wish I'd written a letter to my future self that wasn't just about comics.

I'd rather get letters from an older self.  My 1984 self would be telling me to buy X-Men and Teen Titans, while my 2027 self would be telling me to buy MoonKnights, Omega and Skull.

On 8/17/2022 at 11:03 AM, stephenlev said:

Still really cool to see something from your past and to have the foresight to write to yourself in the future..to many of us live a lot on the past but younger versions of ourselves live in the present and hope for the future which is just as great as walking down memory lane…I’ve only come across small notes or doodles that I did way back then

I’ve never needed a letter. When I was younger everyone was buying ECs, I was buying the much cheaper PCH. I discovered LB Cole early. When everyone was buying Timelys, I was scooping up piles of Nedors. While everybody else was buying the big two GA publishers, I was buying FH, MLJ, Ace and other lessor GA publishers. I loved them and even though I was tempted, I rarely sold any. Very happy with my choices and decisions. 

I love it. Also love the restraint to just shuffle those away and not look at them for 30 years. I have never been, probably never will be - able to do that on most things. 

On 8/17/2022 at 11:21 AM, shadroch said:

I'd rather get letters from an older self.  My 1984 self would be telling me to buy X-Men and Teen Titans, while my 2027 self would be telling me to buy MoonKnights, Omega and Skull.

I'd hope the letters to my 1984 self from my 2022 self would be "buy Amazon, Apple, and Microsoft".