• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NJ Art Con August 28th
3 3

230 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2022 at 7:18 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Secaucus is lovely this time of year. You would be surrounded by a marsh called the Meadowlands, that was created when settlers first ground down the hills into gravel mines, and cut down the native cedars. Then, later generations filled in the holes with piles of garbage. On some of the covered up garbage piles, now grassy hills, there are waste gas collectors which gather up the methanol and recycle it as fuel. Throw in a giant sized shopping mall, with an indoor ski slope, that is slowly headed into bankruptcy, along with a town having lots of outlet stores, and a tourist has everything they could want. Now you know why we legalized pot.

Methane not methanol. :)

On 8/20/2022 at 7:55 PM, KirbyCollector said:

The area is poor and the hotel is very bad. I wish Veteri would hold this in a better location, at the very least to allow for the possibility of a fun weekend trip with the wife.

Kathy and flew to NYC for Friday and Saturday and went to the show on Sunday before returning home. She was quite happy with the arrangement. Just a suggestion.

I have gone to every NJ for the last 8 years and I plan on attending this one as well. As for the hotel it was it's a great space for the show, I just wish their was a restaurant or at least a bar at the hotel lobby for socializing before and after.

I'm always shocked more people don't go to the show TBH. If you do go, trust me bring a portfolio of art for sale/trade. Some of the best deals occur between collectors.

I also went to the art show in Columbus last Saturday. It was a great time. Everyone brought art to show off, or trade/sell. I would gladly go again if he were to hold it next summer.

On 8/21/2022 at 6:58 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Or, save a lot of money and find a closer Holiday Inn/Sheriton/Hilton/Motel 6. Personally, I can’t stand driving to and from the City, and I would not take mass transit.

It was far worse when they had it in Northern Jersey.  It took almost three hours sitting in Sunday traffic to get to and over the GW to get to that show.  

On 8/24/2022 at 12:47 AM, Buzzetta said:

It was far worse when they had it in Northern Jersey.  It took almost three hours sitting in Sunday traffic to get to and over the GW to get to that show.  

There was a Hilton right down the road, of course, and some nicer, reasonably priced restaurants, like Amerone’s in Teaneck (at least compared to Manhattan pricing). 

On 8/24/2022 at 5:14 AM, Rick2you2 said:

There was a Hilton right down the road, of course, and some nicer, reasonably priced restaurants, like Amerone’s in Teaneck (at least compared to Manhattan pricing). 

I liked it when it was at the Holiday Inn Express (the one with a part-time comedy club)

Given the topsy-turvy economy as of late, any predictions on pricing? Hold firm, up, or down (not counting the Bros., of course)?

My guess is hold or up, despite the evidence that the economy has met the technical definition of a recession with 2 quarters of GDP contraction just confirmed.

On 8/26/2022 at 7:34 AM, kbmcvay said:

Like always I think it depends on the dealer. Albert and Anthony will probably be willing to make a deal like they always have in my years of dealing with them. Bechara is basically a Donnely Brother with a mustache so his pricing will be firm.

Albert knows his stock, and is good at extracting the last dollar from his inventory, but I agree, he can bend. I have found that Bechara will deal, a little, and so will Anthony (more so, but his stuff is usually cheaper so there isn't much room). 

I'm curious if anyone thinks the impact of the economy will soften prices more than normal. I have my doubts, except, perhaps, for lower grade pieces where a deal might have been made whatever the economy.

Like always I think it depends on the dealer. Albert and Anthony will probably be willing to make a deal like they always have in my years of dealing with them. Bechara is basically a Donnely Brother with a mustache so his pricing will be firm.

Bechara is a trader at heart, he always negotiates. Start with a price 15% lower with the goal of getting 12% off. If you show you know the prices for whatever art or artist you want, and are willing to tolerate some of his drama, you will get there. 

@jaybuck43

lol 

On 8/26/2022 at 9:31 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Bechara is a trader at heart, he always negotiates. Start with a price 15% lower with the goal of getting 12% off. If you show you know the prices for whatever art or artist you want, and are willing to tolerate some of his drama, you will get there. 

I have never had luck with negotiating with bechara... everyone else yes bechara no... 

On 8/26/2022 at 11:55 AM, Unstoppablejayd said:

You must live obnoxiously close to me.. I wonder if our paths have crossed in person before? And if not say hi at the show if you come!

Name? You can email it to me if you prefer.

Edited by Rick2you2