• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NJ Art Con August 28th
3 3

230 posts in this topic

On 9/5/2022 at 11:47 AM, KirbyCollector said:

It is helpful to remember this stale inventory was purchased for, in may cases, peanuts. Carrying pages you paid $25 (or less) for 20 years ago while waiting for that 1 in 10,000 guy to buy it at 40x your original investment is no skin off your teeth.

It isn’t so much high carrying costs as recycling the funds to more profitable uses. If you paid $25 for a page, was that increase for 20 years linear, accelerating, deaccelerating or flat? What about mediocre Silver or Bronze Age pages? Assuming we are not dealing with a hot collectible, does it make sense to hold on if the new hot part of the market is 1990’s art? 

On 9/5/2022 at 12:31 PM, Rick2you2 said:

It isn’t so much high carrying costs as recycling the funds to more profitable uses. If you paid $25 for a page, was that increase for 20 years linear, accelerating, deaccelerating or flat? What about mediocre Silver or Bronze Age pages? Assuming we are not dealing with a hot collectible, does it make sense to hold on if the new hot part of the market is 1990’s art? 

Econ 101: churning for a target percent is what you do in flat markets. in a hot market, even if a particular category is slower than another, you hold on for dear life because rotations happen faster than you can blink at times! any trader that makes it past five years will tell you the death of a traitor is overtrading 🤮

On 9/5/2022 at 12:36 PM, vodou said:

Econ 101: churning for a target percent is what you do in flat markets. in a hot market, even if a particular category is slower than another, you hold on for dear life because rotations happen faster than you can blink at times! any trader that makes it past five years will tell you the death of a traitor is overtrading 🤮

Yeah, the churn isn’t practical.    In theory , whatever.   In practice, the stuff you sell isn’t the same as the stuff you buy.    If you force a sale to chase something else you may well be selling relatively  low to buy relatively  high.    Often more efficient to just hang on and do nothing. 

If you sell something high, sure , you can reinvest proceeds.   But you can’t force it.

Edited by Bronty

On 9/5/2022 at 12:36 PM, vodou said:

But isn’t this assuming that all OA should be treated as a single market? You yourself found that some things shot up and some didn’t, including some where the quality of work as a function of price was inexplicable. If the market price of some pieces barely moves up, because the public isn’t buying, lowering the price makes sense. Will there ever be a growing market for Bomba, the Jungle Boy (even though I like Jack Sparling)? I don’t see that as churning, just pruning. 

On 9/5/2022 at 4:08 PM, Rick2you2 said:

But isn’t this assuming that all OA should be treated as a single market? You yourself found that some things shot up and some didn’t, including some where the quality of work as a function of price was inexplicable. If the market price of some pieces barely moves up, because the public isn’t buying, lowering the price makes sense. Will there ever be a growing market for Bomba, the Jungle Boy (even though I like Jack Sparling)? I don’t see that as churning, just pruning. 

You had to go and bash Bomba ...  :-) 

On 9/5/2022 at 5:08 PM, Rick2you2 said:

But isn’t this assuming that all OA should be treated as a single market

No. As a single asset class yes.

You yourself found that some things shot up and some didn’t, including some where the quality of work as a function of price was inexplicable

Actually all shot up, but not all at the same time or the same rate of increase at the same time.

There is no Snark intended here but to be clear you’ve vastly over paid for Jack Sparling, those you bought Jack Sparling from were very happy to cash out from what they paid in the 90s and 80s (closer to $10 than $100 per piece). Again, not everyone of those sellers is even alive today with us so one’s own lifespan within a market maturation process matters quite a bit too!

I’m not going to say that everybody that bought art the last 10 years has bought badly, but let’s say it’s less goodly than those that bought 20 years ago. you were either there then or you weren’t, and sometimes that’s just the way it is.

Call me crazy but I'm going to go with the idea that after selling for decades guys like Mr Mustache might have learned a thing or two.   

Stuff like Bomba is junk at any price to anybody except like four people.    It doesn't so much matter whether you price it at $200 or $300, its not selling either way.    The price isn't as important as whether or not you have one of the four correct people in front of you.

Discounting it doesn't do anything except get you less when you eventually find someone who actually wants it.

On 9/5/2022 at 5:55 PM, vodou said:

There is no Snark intended here but to be clear you’ve vastly over paid for Jack Sparling, those you bought Jack Sparling from were very happy to cash out from what they paid in the 90s and 80s (closer to $10 than $100 per piece). Again, not everyone of those sellers is even alive today with us so one’s own lifespan within a market maturation process matters quite a bit too!

You’ll be happy to hear, then, that I don’t own any Jack Sparling pieces, and never did. But, if I saw a published Phantom Stranger piece by him for $300, I might skip it, even though I might give it a shot for $150.

Would many of you consider that money wasted? Perhaps, but it wouldn’t be any worse than some of those commissions people buy. To me, it is about having fun—like fake Sugar & Spike covers. I don’t buy for investment, I don’t spend much money on pieces, and would not be broken-hearted if the market crashed—not out of any sense of malice, by the way. When 2032 comes around, I hope you make a fortune, and that’s true for everyone here, except if someone won’t sell me what I want at a price in my comfort zone.

Edited by Rick2you2

On 9/5/2022 at 7:19 PM, Rick2you2 said:

You’ll be happy to hear, then, that I don’t own any Jack Sparling pieces, and never did.

Mmmmmm…we’re you lying then or now because I’ve a pretty good memory and remember you posting a few years ago that you had picked one or more Jack Sparlings. From ComicLink, I believe.

On 9/6/2022 at 12:24 AM, vodou said:

Mmmmmm…we’re you lying then or now because I’ve a pretty good memory and remember you posting a few years ago that you had picked one or more Jack Sparlings. From ComicLink, I believe.

:popcorn:

On 9/5/2022 at 7:24 PM, vodou said:

You confused me there for a few minutes. I spent $600 on one of his “Pin-up Pete” bits of cheesecake from the Korean War era, and I would happily do it again (there have been others for sale). But, it wasn’t from ComicLink. So yes, I do own one, but not what I was looking for. 

Edited by Rick2you2

I’m pretty sure it was on CLink, so you likely bought it from the winner there at a healthy flip markup. So it goes, but back to the point at $600 you did vastly overpay. It is possible the overall market move up the next decade will bail you out of it though.