• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marcus Wai is Awesome and the joy of getting feedback
2 2

69 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2022 at 12:43 PM, MAR1979 said:

I have on good authority that that vile thread which the OP started out nastiness and hatred had more flagged reports by more members than any in the history of these CGC forums

Excellent!  I get that some boardies want to remain anonymous for valid reasons, and don't act like jerks, but this Race/Herbie species of low life didn't come here to talk about art . . . he just wanted to disparage another collector, empowered by the (mistaken) belief that he could be as outrageous as he wanted, with no accountability.  If people want to be contentious, they should at least man up, own their opinions by ID-ing themselves and not hide behind the shield of anonymity.

Edited by The Voord

On 9/12/2022 at 10:42 AM, Heidjer Staecker said:

...start looking at some of the older art on CAF ... and liking/commenting on them.

This actually dovetails with something which occurred to me this weekend.

Everyone understands that the VAST majority of 'comments' on any particular piece are left probably in, say, the first 48 hours after a piece is added to a gallery.
(This excepts Comic Book Royalty-type additions, which will attract comments at a more-or-less steady pace for the whole of their gallery life)

After that, it usually quiets down.

EXCEPT... the 'views' tracker still keeps ticking over, ever growing.

SO... my question is: WHO are these fans who continue to view pages steadily, but are very, very unlikely to leave comments?

A few suggestions:
1) Non-CAF viewers, who, having no CAF account, don't have the ability to comment (probably brought in by Google searches?)
2) Automated processes, (perhaps within CAF but more likely external) i.e. bots whose attention still counts as a CAF view
3) The Cabal, quietly lurking in disciplined fashion; typical.

Now that I look at my list, I don't know if there is much to discuss after all.  :cry:   Will post anyway, in case anyone has anything to add or correct.

On 9/12/2022 at 12:59 PM, thethedew said:

SO... my question is: WHO are these fans who continue to view pages steadily, but are very, very unlikely to leave comments?

While I don't know the answer to this question in general, I do know that the most *viewed* pieces in my collection are my three nude Loki commissions.  Which does not match my most commented or most favorited pieces.

On 9/11/2022 at 5:32 PM, grapeape said:

How seriously do you guys take it when you leave a comment?

CAF isn't a chat forum.  For myself, if the artwork blows my mind I'll leave a short comment.  Otherwise, nice pieces get the "like".   I am happy that the "respond" option is available in the comments portion.

It was said in that earlier thread that's Marcus' comments invite more participation in sharing there, and I agree.  Sharing more artwork is a good thing (even if I have to wade through pages and pages of material I have no interest in).

1) If there's a piece that I absolutely know will generate a lot of comments... and I see that piece soon enough that I'd be an early commenter... I'm more likely to comment, not that I'm commenting just to comment.

But if I'm late to the party, I'm less likely to comment.  Basically, I doubt that I can add any observations or commentary.  No need for me to be the 1000th person to say it's a great piece.

2) I look at older pieces in a CAF gallery (especially if I discover a new gallery).  I'll add a comment... whenever

3) I'm sure there are lots of older pieces that get lots of views but not a proportionate amount of comments. 

Basically, "Jim Lee" might searched constantly but that may not generate a constant stream of comments. 

Look at CAF's most searched terms:

https://www.comicartfans.com/popular-searches.asp

Which has some useful stats.  And as of this writing, "Dean Yeagle" shows up in all 4 stats.  Nice pinup but is there a "Please share your Dean Yeagle art" topic in this forum ??

cafsearch.jpg

Edited by Will_K

On 9/12/2022 at 3:33 PM, SiegeLoki said:

While I don't know the answer to this question in general, I do know that the most *viewed* pieces in my collection are my three nude Loki commissions.  Which does not match my most commented or most favorited pieces.

for a long time the most viewed piece in my gallery was a piece titled BUS by Andy MacDonald. It is a bus. IIRC 2nd most was a MCP Weapon X page by BWS I had up to 900/1000 pieces at one point and Bus was always king of the junkyard. I never figured it out

Bus Comic Art

Edited by Bird

On 9/12/2022 at 5:21 PM, Will_K said:

1) If there's a piece that I absolutely know will generate a lot of comments... and I see that piece soon enough that I'd be an early commenter... I'm more likely to comment. 

But if I'm late to the party, I'm less likely to comment.  Basically, I doubt that I can add any observations or commentary.  No need for me to be the 1000th person to say it's a great piece.

2) I look at older pieces in a CAF gallery (especially if I discover a new gallery).  I'll add a comment... whenever

3) I'm sure there are lots of older pieces that get lots of views but not a proportionate amount of comments. 

Basically, "Jim Lee" might searched constantly but that may not generate a constant stream of comments. 

Look at CAF's most searched terms:

https://www.comicartfans.com/popular-searches.asp

Which has some useful stats.  And as of this writing, "Dean Yeagle" shows up in all 4 stats.  Nice pinup but is there a "Please share your Dean Yeagle art" topic in this forum ??

cafsearch.jpg

What happened in the last 24 hours to make ‘nude’ make the list? hm

I know I really appreciate other collectors leaving comments on my art but I rarely publish any art on CAF anymore. I also used to look at the featured Galleries in the CAF newsletter and leave comments on the pieces I liked. I really don't have time to do that anymore regrettably.

On 9/12/2022 at 5:32 PM, Bird said:

I just went to my CAF, which is much smaller these days. Bus has been passed by BWS Storyteller page 8454 to 8489. :headbang: It wasn't Weapon X, that only has 1989 (shrug)

C’mon everybody..... to the bus!!!!!!!! 

Comments are welcome lol