• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERITAGE November comic and art auction
4 4

367 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2022 at 3:50 PM, artdealer said:

I owned that Starlin Hulk cover back in the late 70s. I had Starlin touch up the right eye as the white-out that was there chipped away. 
My personal opinion is that Hulk cover, is one of the best 3 non Warlock or Captain Marvel covers Starlin drew in that time period. 
That Hulk is brutal!

It's a powerful Hulk cover and how many hulk covers did Starlin do?

Price did not surprise me given Starlin capt marvel pages go from $5-15k

Very solid auction marathon. I watched a few pieces in  particular. The Mignola Triumph and Torment page sold nicely at $9,000 with BP. Theses pages rarely show up and if not now the near future could create serious FOMO as I think this story (1987) ranks with the very best comic and art stories ever created. Case in point the David Mazzuccelli Daredevil #233 Story Page 21 "Born Again" Original Art (1986) $31,200 with BP. Each time these pages come to auction now they fly higher and higher.

A surprise as far as maybe under performing were both Erik Larsen ASM pages. The Amazing Spider-Man #327 Story Page 16 Original Art (1989) sells at $20,400 with BP and The Amazing Spider-Man #332 Story Page 16 Original Art $15,600 with BP. These two pages came up half way through the days auction. At this time the auctioneers traded places and I listened to this guy speed track both pages into Fair Warning...SOLD!!! As a consignor I would have been really angry. The guy was full of coffee I guess  and wanted to get through the lots. It seems the last few auctions people have bid crazy on Larsen ASM (without a care in the world who inked) as one page went for $48K and another just over $50K if I recall correctly. Thought these both would go higher.

Very nice selection of art presented by HA again.

Original Comic Art:Story Page, Mike Mignola and Mark Badger Dr. Strange and Dr. Doom: Triumph and Torment Story Page 12 Original Art (Marvel, 198...

Original Comic Art:Story Page, David Mazzucchelli Daredevil #233 Story Page 21 "Born Again" Original Art (Marvel, 1986)....

Original Comic Art:Story Page, Erik Larsen and Al Gordon The Amazing Spider-Man #327 Story Page 16 Original Art (Marvel, 1989)....

Original Comic Art:Story Page, Erik Larsen and Keith Wilson The Amazing Spider-Man #332 Story Page 16 Original Art (Marvel, 1990)....

On 11/21/2022 at 8:57 AM, delekkerste said:

I guess it was a case of beggars can't be choosers...there's only a trickle of Simonson Thor art in the wild so prices are inherently going to be higher than what you think for what you're getting (I didn't buy either page but thought about going after one of them). 

I unfortunately just missed out on the lot I wanted the most (not going to tip my hand as to what it was for strategic reasons). Not having a sales tax exemption (like dealers) or workaround (like some collectors have set up) is just brutal in this ultra-competitive market. Without the tax, I would have had at least another 1 1/2 bid increments left in me and let's just say that the bidding pattern suggested that this probably would have been enough to topple the winning bidder for this lot. :censored: 

I did at least win two lots. The first was the insane Gene Day Master of Kung Fu #116 DPS with the amazing design/composition. Check it out in the HA archives if you missed it, it's awesome...I get like a Steranko meets M.C. Escher vibe from it (not a literal parallel, just a vibe).

I also won the Antonio Prohias Spy vs. Spy from 1965, which I had foolishly passed on in person at a show in the early-to-mid-2010s and then underbid when it was in the January 2022 Heritage Signature sale. This time I set phasers to kill and took it home (albeit at a record price :cry:). 

Congrats on winning the Gene Day Shang-Chi DPS. Absolutely spectacular piece of art! 

I know some of the higher end pieces at the beginning of the auction may have "underperformed," but it sure looked like prices for mid-range art were really strong.

i was quite happy with the results my 2 consigned pieces brought in. Also was good to see that demand for DC Style Guide pieces by Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez remains quite high. 

a few of his pieces went for comparative bargains during weekly auctions. but the Batgirl and supergirl examples in this auction did very well.

B49DDD4C-B133-41A1-B07B-0E915CAEFA35.png

47EB1DE5-E22E-4027-9618-67173477CC8C.png

On 11/21/2022 at 8:57 AM, delekkerste said:

I did at least win two lots. The first was the insane Gene Day Master of Kung Fu #116 DPS with the amazing design/composition. Check it out in the HA archives if you missed it, it's awesome...I get like a Steranko meets M.C. Escher vibe from it (not a literal parallel, just a vibe).

I sure understand the Escher, but if you give me Steranko I'll counter with an Eisner. I don't follow the market very well, but it looks to me like a real nice piece and well worth the money. Congrats.

On 11/21/2022 at 9:31 AM, hmendryk said:

I sure understand the Escher, but if you give me Steranko I'll counter with an Eisner. I don't follow the market very well, but it looks to me like a real nice piece and well worth the money. Congrats.

Thanks, Harry! The 3-D "Blood of My Blood" and geometric layout just reminded me of Steranko's X-Men #51 splash ("The Devil Had a Daughter!") and some of his S.H.I.E.L.D. work, personally. I can see the Eisner vibe too, though - good catch!

On 11/21/2022 at 9:05 AM, fsumavila said:

Congrats on winning the Gene Day Shang-Chi DPS. Absolutely spectacular piece of art! 

Thanks, Mike! 
I agree with you that the mid-range was overall very strong this auction after a mixed Platinum Session which had some notable underperformers. 

Edited by delekkerste

On 11/21/2022 at 7:44 AM, delekkerste said:

Who in their right mind would pay $25K for a Paul Smith X-Men page...anyone who would do that should be institutionalized. :screwy: 

:wink: 

(no, I didn't buy nor even pursue this particular page...it was two other crazies this time!)

At least three early on... but I dropped out.

On 11/21/2022 at 9:12 AM, fsumavila said:

I know some of the higher end pieces at the beginning of the auction may have "underperformed," but it sure looked like prices for mid-range art were really strong.

i was quite happy with the results my 2 consigned pieces brought in. Also was good to see that demand for DC Style Guide pieces by Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez remains quite high. 

a few of his pieces went for comparative bargains during weekly auctions. but the Batgirl and supergirl examples in this auction did very well.

B49DDD4C-B133-41A1-B07B-0E915CAEFA35.png

47EB1DE5-E22E-4027-9618-67173477CC8C.png

Nice to see Garcia Lopez finally getting the love he deserves.  He's been a fantastic artist for 5 decades.

On 11/21/2022 at 9:03 AM, grapeape said:

A surprise as far as maybe under performing were both Erik Larsen ASM pages. The Amazing Spider-Man #327 Story Page 16 Original Art (1989) sells at $20,400 with BP and The Amazing Spider-Man #332 Story Page 16 Original Art $15,600 with BP. These two pages came up half way through the days auction. At this time the auctioneers traded places and I listened to this guy speed track both pages into Fair Warning...SOLD!!! As a consignor I would have been really angry. The guy was full of coffee I guess  and wanted to get through the lots. It seems the last few auctions people have bid crazy on Larsen ASM (without a care in the world who inked) as one page went for $48K and another just over $50K if I recall correctly. Thought these both would go higher.

I was guiding a buddy of mine, a newbie comic art collector, through the auctions on Friday and I also told him how the auctioneers were going way too fast for each lot. I also told him there would be good looking ladies to watch and they were MIA. That one lady does a great job of milking every last dollar out of pieces for the consigners. I had one piece consigned and was hoping she was the presenter. Oh well. 

Edited by wolvergeek

On 11/21/2022 at 8:03 AM, grapeape said:

Very nice selection of art presented by HA again.

Original Comic Art:Story Page, Erik Larsen and Al Gordon The Amazing Spider-Man #327 Story Page 16 Original Art (Marvel, 1989)....

I think a lot of people, and people interested in these pages, likely assumed they were going to run up above $30k easily in the live portion and just crossed them off their list, or weren't watching because of those assumptions. It happens. Combine that with the speedy auctioneer and people likely had no chance to even say "WTFISGOINGONTHAT'SCHEAP!?!" before they closed and you've got a recipe for a "through the cracks" final hammer.

On 11/21/2022 at 7:57 AM, delekkerste said:

I guess it was a case of beggars can't be choosers...there's only a trickle of Simonson Thor art in the wild so prices are inherently going to be higher than what you think for what you're getting (I didn't buy either page but thought about going after one of them). 

I unfortunately just missed out on the lot I wanted the most (not going to tip my hand as to what it was for strategic reasons). Not having a sales tax exemption (like dealers) or workaround (like some collectors have set up) is just brutal in this ultra-competitive market. Without the tax, I would have had at least another 1 1/2 bid increments left in me and let's just say that the bidding pattern suggested that this probably would have been enough to topple the winning bidder for this lot. :censored: 

I also won the Antonio Prohias Spy vs. Spy from 1965, which I had foolishly passed on in person at a show in the early-to-mid-2010s and then underbid when it was in the January 2022 Heritage Signature sale. This time I set phasers to kill and took it home (albeit at a record price :cry:). 

Congrats on the Gene Day piece.  It was one I considered but then backed off.  Amazing piece!

On 11/21/2022 at 2:47 PM, Heidjer Staecker said:

I'm probably wrong, but given how pricey Jim Lee pieces have been, I would have thought that the Jim Lee Savage Dragon page (filling in for EL on a run) would have gone for more.

I do not think a lot of people who want jim lee art care about him drawing savage dragon...