• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much do you want Stan Lee's signature on your comics?
2 2

44 posts in this topic

I own only one book signed by him (X-Men #8) which was a raw book I had him sign.  Every now and again I will look to see if I can find another I might purchase but being a picky buyer I haven't found one.  There are just so many he signed that he didn't work on or if he did they want stupid money for and many have terrible sig placement.

On 9/18/2022 at 4:41 AM, rfhbv100 said:

Hi all! I live in another country and we just have the wildest cult around Stan Lee and everything connected with him. We sell absolutely random Late Silver Age comics for a huge amount of money simply because Lee wrote the --script for them. And his signatures, especially confirmed ones, cost up to a thousand dollars, or even more, despite the fact that the comic book on which the signature was left is not remarkable at all, and delivery to our country costs $ 40. Once I even saw the sale of "limited'' and an "exclusive" Stan Lee toy with his signature for $2,000. And no one was indignant at the high price, on the contrary, everyone wanted to buy this toy and even began to save money for it.
Every time I tell people in my country, "It's just one of Stan Lee's billions of autographs! It can't be worth that much!" They answered me with something like: "Shut up, "expert", I saw how his autographs were sold on eBay for a thousand dollars!" (I hope you don't need to explain that "buy it now" on eBay is not always correct in terms of prices). Many of us even believe that Lee's signature on absolutely any comic automatically increases its value by 500%. And is it necessary, after all that I said, talk that many collectors in my country want Lee's signature on literally every comic book they have?

So I have a question that I want to ask here, because here are so many cool and experienced collectors: Do you want Stan Lee's signature on every your marvel comic? Do you think his signature is really valuable and rare (lol). Also, I would love to hear if you have a cult around Stan Lee in the US and Canada?

A pristine book without stan lee's scribble is worth a lot more to me than one with the scribble.

I don't want people writing on my comic books. Signatures add nothing to my books and I do have a couple but only because they were gifted to me (they are not sig series and from more modern artists).

Not a big fan of Stan Lee anyway. I think he gets way more credit than he is due- especially when compared to an artist like Jack Kirby. I would not be opposed to owning a seemingly authentic inner splash page Jack Kirby signature if I lucked upon one.

That is not to say those who admire Stan, his signature, or signatures in general are wrong. Just not interested in it. You collect the way you like is always my mantra.

Edited by 01TheDude

Since it hasn't been mentioned (or I didn't see it), it would be good to point out that Stan Lee's signature is one of the most forged/faked/counterfeited signatures in the industry.

People figured out they could scam buyers who "don't like CGC" by signing Stan Lee's name themselves and they do... non-stop... every day.

If CGC didn't witness a legitimate Stan Lee signature, then it's a nice memory for whomever got the signature in person and potentially worthless to everyone else because the same people who fake the signature pretend to have witnessed Stan sign it.

It would only be much more significant to me if I’d met him in person for it.

Otherwise, it’d just be another creator signature for the collection.

On 9/19/2022 at 1:11 PM, F For Fake said:

If I'd had a chance to meet Kirby, I would have loved to have had his signature on the inside splash page, in the indicia. But I never got that chance

Likewise.  That would’ve been even more memorable and significant.

The 1998 Fleer/Skybox Marvel Silver Age Stan Lee pack-inserted autograph trading card is good enough for me. It's a great picture of him and it doesn't damage a vintage comic.

As for comics, I would've only ever wanted his autograph on a comic he actually wrote, but I met him twice and didn't get one of those signed either time, so I must not have wanted that very badly. Instead I got signatures on a Spidey hologram board (that used the 4 holo images from the 30th anniversary covers) and a wall poster. 

Edited by jdandns

I think there's a solid argument to be made that Stan Lee may literally be the most abundant celebrity signature on the planet.  Politicians sign a lot of stuff, but probably not that much.  Back in the '90s Stan Lee gave a talk (part of a tour) at a local university, and then stayed to sign autographs (then the signing was free after the cost of admission).  I was told he stayed until after midnight, often signing multiple items.  It was estimated he may have signed over 1000 items that night in just one small town in the mid-west!  That was before he began setting up constantly at comic shows over the past 20 years.  And if that weren't enough, as stated above, one has to worry over the thousands of forgeries floating around out there as well.  An in-person memory is a great experience by any measure.  But a second-hand acquisition at this point... I'm not so sure... 

I have a few Stan signed books got some signed in person and enjoyed meeting him and getting a picture as well.. great memory. 

On 9/19/2022 at 12:06 PM, rexinnih said:

I was lucky enough to meet Stan a few times at the SDCC growing up and the 2017 Emerald City Comic Con before his passing. Do have a couple of comics signed, inside cover, and also the photo I took with him at the ECCC. More memories for myself. 

For me, that's the only reason to get a signed book. To meet the creator and memorialize the event. (I wish I'd have met Stan and if I had it would have been my Marvel Age I bought back when it came out that I'd have got signed). The signature itself adds no value to me and may ruin the book if placed on the cover.  My only exception is when the signature was put on the book by the creator as a mark of ownership - like with some interior signatures by Carl Barks that are intended to denote his ownership of the book and in that case you're buying the association with the creator not the sig. 

Of course, what is likely the most desirable comic in the world has an unobtrusive signature on the top of the cover - but it is by the OO not a creator, and for me that may well add value just because in some ways certain OOs are just as important to a comic fan like me as the creators.

I can think of one comic I bought solely because of the sig - it was an old 1960s Avengers being sold out of NY and it had a stamp inside with the original owner of the books name - he was my old local comic book store owner. He'd had the book as a kid and sold it. Over the past 50 years or so it had traveled from Oregon to NY and was in great shape.  It finally ended up back with me - a guy who'd known the OO.  I thought that was cool. Much rarer experience than getting a Stan Lee.