• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much do you want Stan Lee's signature on your comics?
2 2

44 posts in this topic

Hi all! I live in another country and we just have the wildest cult around Stan Lee and everything connected with him. We sell absolutely random Late Silver Age comics for a huge amount of money simply because Lee wrote the -script for them. And his signatures, especially confirmed ones, cost up to a thousand dollars, or even more, despite the fact that the comic book on which the signature was left is not remarkable at all, and delivery to our country costs $ 40. Once I even saw the sale of "limited'' and an "exclusive" Stan Lee toy with his signature for $2,000. And no one was indignant at the high price, on the contrary, everyone wanted to buy this toy and even began to save money for it.
Every time I tell people in my country, "It's just one of Stan Lee's billions of autographs! It can't be worth that much!" They answered me with something like: "Shut up, "expert", I saw how his autographs were sold on eBay for a thousand dollars!" (I hope you don't need to explain that "buy it now" on eBay is not always correct in terms of prices). Many of us even believe that Lee's signature on absolutely any comic automatically increases its value by 500%. And is it necessary, after all that I said, talk that many collectors in my country want Lee's signature on literally every comic book they have?

So I have a question that I want to ask here, because here are so many cool and experienced collectors: Do you want Stan Lee's signature on every your marvel comic? Do you think his signature is really valuable and rare (lol). Also, I would love to hear if you have a cult around Stan Lee in the US and Canada?

Never been an autograph/signature kinda guy. I think I have a couple, but it's not because I sought them, they were in the books (unknown by me) when I bought them. I understand a great many people get pleasure from owning sigs, and I'm not knocking that, but personally, I never understood the desire.

Hil.  I have a couple Stan Lee signed books and really appreciate them, b/c they are big keys with which he was involved.  Stan Lee signatures on comics (the ones with which he was involved) in general always fetch a significant premium. Lee signatures on books he had nothing to do with is a different story, but from what I have seen, they too fetch a premium, although less so than on a Silver Age Spidey or Hulk book, for example. 

Some collectors love the sigs on the cover so they can see it (very sensible, since that's probably why they wanted it!).  Others like the fact that the book was signed, so long as it be somewhere that doesn't affect the cover art, like inside or on the back of the book. Others don't care either way so long as they don't pay up for the signature, because they really just want the book.  And still others prefer no signature at all  because they prefer the books as originally issued.  

As for signatures on collectibles in general, I am always surprised when I hear someone doesn't understand the desire for signatures.  In practically every other collectible genre -- from sports jerseys, to records, to cards, to sneakers, to posters, to pictures, and on and on -- signatures are sought after and command a premium, often a significant premium.  So I was never surprised, and in fact always expect, Lee signed books to fetch a premium, whether or not it's my cup of tea.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 9/18/2022 at 5:33 PM, shadroch said:

Stan Lee may have been the Koolest Kat in the whole world and his signature has been known to cure nerdiness in moments. I can't think of a Kooler Kollectible than having a book signed by Stan " The Man".  I've many Stan Lee signed books, several signed by both Stan Lee and Joe Simon and even a print signed by Stan and Joe and their junior partner, Jack Kirby.  As Disney continues to bring Stans creations to the big and small screens, I imagine the cult around him will continue to grow, but as he is  still dead, the autograph opportunities will decrease.

Your country is obviously blessed with  good taste and is ahead of the curve. Just don't use your bitcoins to buy Lees autograph as it is positioned to explode any day now.  If you share the location of this paradise, I might fly in with my mini-hoard and live out my days selling them on your beaches. How is the wifi situation in your country?

This is Russia. But it’s quite difficult to sell here, because you can’t always guess whether this comic will be bought or not. Wifi is quite good:wink:

I don't.

And, in fact, one of the sets I'm trying to build is the McFarlane Hulk run, CGC 9.8 / Todd McFarlane signature series.

It's not much of an exaggeration to say it's harder to find 9.8 McFarlane signed books *without* Lee's signature as well than it is to find purely McFarlane-only signed books.

On 9/18/2022 at 9:16 AM, rfhbv100 said:

This is Russia. But it’s quite difficult to sell here, because you can’t always guess whether this comic will be bought or not. Wifi is quite good:wink:

Should see what Ukrainians have for sale 

On 9/18/2022 at 10:00 AM, marvelcollector said:

Agree, except for the notion of a cult. Depends on your definition I suppose, but there are certainly thousands, maybe millions, of people in the US that are fans of Stan, and quite fond of him.

Ditto.  I should’ve been clearer.  I was more referencing the first questions.

On 9/18/2022 at 4:41 AM, rfhbv100 said:

Hi all! I live in another country and we just have the wildest cult around Stan Lee and everything connected with him. We sell absolutely random Late Silver Age comics for a huge amount of money simply because Lee wrote the --script for them. And his signatures, especially confirmed ones, cost up to a thousand dollars, or even more, despite the fact that the comic book on which the signature was left is not remarkable at all, and delivery to our country costs $ 40. Once I even saw the sale of "limited'' and an "exclusive" Stan Lee toy with his signature for $2,000. And no one was indignant at the high price, on the contrary, everyone wanted to buy this toy and even began to save money for it.
Every time I tell people in my country, "It's just one of Stan Lee's billions of autographs! It can't be worth that much!" They answered me with something like: "Shut up, "expert", I saw how his autographs were sold on eBay for a thousand dollars!" (I hope you don't need to explain that "buy it now" on eBay is not always correct in terms of prices). Many of us even believe that Lee's signature on absolutely any comic automatically increases its value by 500%. And is it necessary, after all that I said, talk that many collectors in my country want Lee's signature on literally every comic book they have?

So I have a question that I want to ask here, because here are so many cool and experienced collectors: Do you want Stan Lee's signature on every your marvel comic? Do you think his signature is really valuable and rare (lol). Also, I would love to hear if you have a cult around Stan Lee in the US and Canada?

Stan Lee signed a lot. His signature is not rare. It's valuable only in the eye's of the collectors that want it. Some believe it ruins the comic book cover

Yes, far from rare (I have over 100 books signed by Stan) but there will always be demand for these books and his signed comic books have increased nicely over the last few years and watching prices of late, not quite slowing down.

All of my collecting friends thought I was crazy to get books signed, but a long time collector and friend who hates signed comics broke down a few months ago and paid handsomely for a signed book because Stan just meant so much to this hobby he felt he needed at least one for his collection.