• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paypal institutes $2500 fine for anyone who promotes "misinformation" and then pulls the rule after massive public backlash.
8 8

401 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2022 at 10:11 AM, jsilverjanet said:

so for those cancelling paypal,

1) what methods of payment will you accept/use for your comic book purchases

2) if a seller only accepts paypal as a form of payment (example here on the boards) will you try to have them take another form of payment

:bump: I apologize for the serious question amongst this madness

On 10/11/2022 at 11:14 AM, jsilverjanet said:

what do all these thing have in common

hm

What?

On 10/11/2022 at 11:16 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I thought most people stopped using paypal here when they started reporting yearly sales above $600

I don’t see how Paypal could be blamed for that. It’s not their rule.

On 10/11/2022 at 11:11 AM, jsilverjanet said:

2) if a seller only accepts paypal as a form of payment (example here on the boards) will you try to have them take another form of payment

I always liked Paypal. It was very convenient.  If I can’t find another method to pay than I will just live without the item. Once they get their priorities straight or house in order than perhaps they can have my business again.

It is funny how some assume that everyone cancelling have dead accounts though.

On 10/11/2022 at 10:51 AM, CAHokie said:

I don’t see how Paypal could be blamed for that. It’s not their rule.

no but i know a lot of people who have stopped using it, heck you see it in sales threads more often now than before

What?

when?

It is funny how some assume that everyone cancelling have dead accounts though.

i think that number is from before, i don't think those are from this change

Once they get their priorities straight or house in order than perhaps they can have my business again.

that seems reasonable and the right approach

I think PP was "selected" to be the test case for how much censorship can be gotten away with.  

Misinformation ..... HAH !!   

Honest people recognize truth when they hear it. 

On 10/11/2022 at 12:10 PM, buttock said:

Mods notified. 

Mom's mortified .

On 10/11/2022 at 12:53 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Oh.  Do people need permission to leave, or something ?

Buttock is actually a good friend. This is a running joke we have between us. :D

On 10/11/2022 at 12:53 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Good catch.

Mod's notified. :wink:

On 10/11/2022 at 12:03 PM, Yorick said:

So if my comic book has an advertisement that is deemed false information, I'm the one that gets fined?  That should be on the publisher!

Nope.

The Paypal rule that they 'mistakenly' added and then removed has to do with something very different, carrying a much greater scope. 

The word "misinformation" has been weaponized over the last 2-3 years and Paypal basically took it upon themselves to fine anyone "at their sole discretion" who happens to deal with Paypal (person or organization) and is involved in "spreading misinformation" in some way that goes against Paypal's own personal, corporate beliefs. Those beliefs would likely be aligned with the mainstream narrative.

So Paypal has stated that they can arbitrarily fine you $2500 should they choose to find you doing the same.

We've all seen the demonetizing happening over the last few years for anyone who disagrees with the mainstream. Google, YouTube, Facebook etc have all done it. Even Paypal themselves have cancelled accounts with several organizations that went against their corporate beliefs (although I think most were restored after public outcry). 

It's my personal belief that if there wasn't a pushback, it would not have been labelled a "mistake" and it would still be instituted. 

I think it was just a 'test' to see if it would work. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/11/2022 at 11:11 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I only take cash or barter. Friends and family was a option though. I either sell one of a kind items or have the lowest price. Not everyone will pay non paypal but someone will. Lots of apps available so if you are the only buying option they will use whatever you demand. I mostly sell in person or consignment. 

I only buy to resell so knowledgeable board members asking fmv aren't a option. If I was buying here I am sure it's mostly reputable sellers who would happily take a check or bank transfer. If I have been buying from them for a decade with no issues we should be good. If I wanted to deal with a new person they could send me the book first or set up a escrow. They would probably sell to a Paypal buyer but I I was the only interested buyer and they needed money they will do whatever. Again lots of non paypal apps. 

On 10/11/2022 at 12:06 PM, Senormac said:

Q.?   Is FICTION misinformation, cuz their ain't no super hero's.  

Can't believe you said that.  There are at least two Batmans in the nearby city.  I've seen them.

That'll be $2500 please.