• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comicmylars vs the late, great John Verzyl
5 5

82 posts in this topic

On 10/20/2022 at 4:01 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I never found that John Verzyl had "reasonable" prices, but he had an inventory of amazing books that could not be found elsewhere, and he was one of the warmest and kindest people I ever met.

Yes, as I stated with the business aspect with John it was yay or nay and zero hard feelings on either side. We then had enjoyable talk about other life stuff.

On 10/20/2022 at 12:57 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I’m sorry you feel every dealer is a sleazebag from the start. That’s a depressing place to be coming from lol.

Many of the best-known dealers probably have some people skills and maybe even some integrity (or at least the ability to feign integrity), otherwise they wouldn't be very successful. However, when it comes to small-time dealers, I've noticed that many of them have personalities that would prevent them from finding any kind of success in the corporate world—which is probably why they're self-employed.

It isn't as easy to get away with things like amateur resto and trimming these days, but the sleazebags have found other tactics; like getting fake sales into GPA to pump up prices, shill bidding on auction items; buying the top-five graded copies of a scarce book and cracking out the top four and sending in the labels so they can sell the fifth-highest-graded copy as the highest-graded copy, only to turn around and slab the erstwhile fourth-highest-graded copy in order to sell THAT one as the highest graded copy, etc.

There are con artists in every hobby and every business, though, so why should comics be an exception? Most people are restrained somewhat by a conscience, but these guys are conscienceless; they're like flesh-eating bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics. You can try to mitigate the damage that they do, but you can never really get rid of them.

On 10/20/2022 at 6:43 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Many of the best-known dealers probably have some people skills and maybe even some integrity (or at least the ability to feign integrity), otherwise they wouldn't be very successful. However, when it comes to small-time dealers, I've noticed that many of them have personalities that would prevent them from finding any kind of success in the corporate world—which is probably why they're self-employed.

It isn't as easy to get away with things like amateur resto and trimming these days, but the sleazebags have found other tactics; like getting fake sales into GPA to pump up prices, shill bidding on auction items; buying the top-five graded copies of a scarce book and cracking out the top four and sending in the labels so they can sell the fifth-highest-graded copy as the highest-graded copy, only to turn around and slab the erstwhile fourth-highest-graded copy in order to sell THAT one as the highest graded copy, etc.

There are con artists in every hobby and every business, though, so why should comics be an exception? Most people are restrained somewhat by a conscience, but these guys are conscienceless; they're like flesh-eating bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics. You can try to mitigate the damage that they do, but you can never really get rid of them.

Who are we talking about here?

On 10/20/2022 at 10:34 PM, MrBedrock said:

Me too. Heck, even when I am talking to myself I am suspicious of my motives.

I'm suspicious of your motives when you have me as a  guest in your home, feed me good food, introduce me to your wonderful friends, chauffeur  me around Houston, and sell or trade me books at fair and reasonable prices.

Twice.

I may never forgive you - unless you come to Manchester.

Twice.

Edited by Flex Mentallo

On 10/21/2022 at 2:29 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Absolutely! Not taking away from other collector/dealers, John's passion for the hobby knew few peers.

Coin tosses with this gentleman ...bartering for that "elusive" reasonable price... was one of my two great joys at SDCC; you know the other.

A toast to my late friend and a rare photo from one of his legendary house calls to Casa del Gato... :cheers:

79372852_Image10-21-22at1_21AM.thumb.jpg.0488c8d6fb43c870f0960b24d12ce557.jpg

I like your shirt! 

John's isn't bad either. 

On 10/21/2022 at 3:13 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

I may never forgive you - unless you come to Manchester.

hm

On 10/20/2022 at 11:29 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Absolutely! Not taking away from other collector/dealers, John's passion for the hobby knew few peers.

Coin tosses with this gentleman ...bartering for that "elusive" reasonable price... was one of my two great joys at SDCC; you know the other.

A toast to my late friend and a rare photo from one of his legendary house calls to Casa del Gato... :cheers:

79372852_Image10-21-22at1_21AM.thumb.jpg.0488c8d6fb43c870f0960b24d12ce557.jpg

:cheers:

On 10/21/2022 at 2:02 AM, blazingbob said:

Wow,  Not sure what to say on this post.

You thought I should've continued dealing with Roter? lol

Don't take it personally, Bob.  It comes with the territory in any business that is fundamentally adverserial, which comic dealing most definitely is.  Then compound that with the fact that so many dealers are under capitalized and seemingly perpetually living hand to mouth and hustling.

I'm no stranger to being on the other side of this.  Most people assume lawyers are sleazebags.  There are a whole lot more negative jokes about lawyers than comic dealers.  Never lost any sleep over it.

On 10/20/2022 at 7:01 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I never found that John Verzyl had "reasonable" prices, but he had an inventory of amazing books that could not be found elsewhere, and he was one of the warmest and kindest people I ever met.

Agree 100%. 

On 10/21/2022 at 10:30 AM, Bookery said:
On 10/21/2022 at 8:06 AM, tth2 said:

It comes with the territory in any business that is fundamentally adverserial, which comic dealing most definitely is. 

Why?  If you go in with an adversarial attitude, then yes, it's probably going to be difficult to make a deal.

I have never thought of dealers, or of getting comics from them, as adversarial in any way, shape or form.

If I were to ever catch myself thinking that way, I would want to correct myself right away.

On 10/20/2022 at 10:13 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

buying the top-five graded copies of a scarce book and cracking out the top four and sending in the labels so they can sell the fifth-highest-graded copy as the highest-graded copy, only to turn around and slab the erstwhile fourth-highest-graded copy in order to sell THAT one as the highest graded copy, etc.

You can "decommission" CGC labels by sending them back in?  :whatthe:   This is basically like wiping their record from existence.  That's crazy.  It should have to be accompanied by an insurance loss certificate or something to that effect to be valid for higher value books.  At the very least CGC should keep the original record and put an * denoting a label withdrawal so that it is known that a copy "once" existed at that grade.  Thankfully (/s), I don't have the cash to chase highest graded key books so this is mainly an academic exercise for me. 

Edited by davet75

On 10/21/2022 at 9:06 AM, Robot Man said:

Man, I've known John for like forever. I met him at the LA Shrine shows back in the late 1970’s. Back when you could buy a Bat #1 for $2K! I have always found his prices a bit, how you say "Aggressive"? But there were very few dealers who had his vast amount of stock and such a positive attitude to the hobby. I could rarely afford much from him but that never stopped us talking books like a couple of geeks. 

My favorite purchase from John was this book. He knew how bad I wanted one and kept it aside for me at one of these shows. Was it "reasonable"? Not really but I felt I got a very fair deal on it and was so appreciative that he thought of me and held it for me. It has certainly proved to be a reasonable price over time!

Still miss seeing him...

Thought you might enjoy seeing this little bit of old comic book history. 

johnverzyl1981a.jpg

johnverzyl1981c.jpg

commarvelmystery82.jpg

Still fondly remember John at NYCC, SDCC, and Wizard Chicago.  My aunt used to live within walking distance of John’s shop on Main Street in Alhambra, CA.  Would park my car near my Aunt’s apartment house and stroll over.  

John will tell these funny and amazing stories of bringing comic books to Jerry Buss, yeah that Jerry Buss, late owner of the Lakers at the Playboy Mansion.

My last purchase from John was Action 252, first Supergirl.  I remember him as a busy super nice guy.

On 10/21/2022 at 3:24 PM, MusterMark said:

I have never thought of dealers, or of getting comics from them, as adversarial in any way, shape or form.

If I were to ever catch myself thinking that way, I would want to correct myself right away.

Agree 100%.  Saying the relationship is adversarial sounds like projection to me.

On 10/21/2022 at 6:45 PM, davet75 said:
On 10/20/2022 at 10:13 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

buying the top-five graded copies of a scarce book and cracking out the top four and sending in the labels so they can sell the fifth-highest-graded copy as the highest-graded copy, only to turn around and slab the erstwhile fourth-highest-graded copy in order to sell THAT one as the highest graded copy, etc.

You can "decommission" CGC labels by sending them back in?  :whatthe:   This is basically like wiping their record from existence.  That's crazy.  It should have to be accompanied by an insurance loss certificate or something to that effect to be valid for higher value books.  At the very least CGC should keep the original record and put an * denoting a label withdrawal so that it is known that a copy "once" existed at that grade.  Thankfully (/s), I don't have the cash to chase highest graded key books so this is mainly an academic exercise for me. 

There is a boardie that has a website that you can always go onto to look at CGC grades over history, so in that manner, there is a sort of original record that is maintained, showing all grades that existed at a given point(s) in the past. Someone with a better memory than me can share the pertinent boardie / link.

On 10/21/2022 at 3:57 PM, BitterOldMan said:

Still fondly remember John at NYCC, SDCC, and Wizard Chicago.  My aunt used to live within walking distance of John’s shop on Main Street in Alhambra, CA.  Would park my car near my Aunt’s apartment house and stroll over.  

John will tell these funny and amazing stories of bringing comic books to Jerry Buss, yeah that Jerry Buss, late owner of the Lakers at the Playboy Mansion.

My last purchase from John was Action 252, first Supergirl.  I remember him as a busy super nice guy.

I used to frequent his shop in Alhambra all the time. Always loads of new collections to go through. John was a fountain of knowledge and sometimes pulled out incredible books even though he knew I couldn’t buy just to share them with me. 

Like had been said, his prices were often a bit “aggressive”. But I had an angle. There were days and times when John wasn’t there and Nan was running the store. I often made some fair offers and she took them.

I learned long ago in the junk business that often when a husband and wife are involved, the wife has a hard time turning down cash…:devil: