• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clear Backing Boards

21 posts in this topic

I’ve seen THESE at shows.

My thoughts:
1) They are nice for the convenience of not having to take the book out of the bag to see the BC.

2) They are fairly strong/rigid, and fit mylite 2s.

3) They are expensive. 

Thoughts? :popcorn:

On 10/21/2022 at 4:21 PM, djpinkpanther67 said:

I’ve seen THESE at shows.

My thoughts:
1) They are nice for the convenience of not having to take the book out of the bag to see the BC.

2) They are fairly strong/rigid, and fit mylite 2s.

3) They are expensive. 

Thoughts? :popcorn:

Put one on both sides of the comic for extra protection :idea:

On 10/21/2022 at 4:33 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Put one on both sides of the comic for extra protection :idea:

Another reason why you’re a…

sigh, nevermind 

I've always liked the idea of clear boards, but the price difference is daunting. And some of the past versions were pretty cheap-looking, although I think more recent ones have been nicer. Still, cost makes it unrealistic to go ham on these with any significant volume of books. Nice for a few display choices, or when the BC is significant, though.

On 10/21/2022 at 8:09 PM, joeypost said:

Dave Kapelka used very sturdy ones on all his big dollar books in the past. I have a bunch of them somewhere and I think they look great with the book, especially in a mylite. 

Are these archival safe? 

I think these clear boards would be amazing for modern books that have those wrap around covers…

On 10/22/2022 at 2:20 PM, aardvark88 said:

Don't think backing is archival like mylar. Can 'slab it yourself' for about $20 per comic and type out your own grading standard label:

Yeah I saw those awhile ago but was always worried about the archival material since they don’t really say much about that…

I was going to buy one of these, but the lcs guy dropped it and couldn't find it again. :shiftyeyes: doh! :facepalm:

Long story short. Many years ago I emailed all the major companies about producing a clear backing board. 
I either got no response or its too expensive no thanks. Its seems they are almost there now. But cost is still
daunting. Maybe in a few years it will come down enough to be utilized it would immensely help dealers especially
for high cost raw books.

I really like them. I only have a few, for my "best" books. Clear board, mylar, top loader, and voila, homemade slab!