• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attempting to collect DC Showcase 1-104 in 9.0 or better!
7 7

341 posts in this topic

As impressive as the final number for this Showcase 4 CGC 9.6 was, rumblings over in the Heritage thread in the Golden Age forum, alluding to it may have been sold privately over the past year for $1.5 million!

If so, that would amount to a MASSIVE $750,000 LOSS! Considering Heritage gets 20% from the buyer side ($150,000 minus from the $900K) AND the seller didn't get hit with a commission from Heritage also.

On 1/13/2024 at 11:33 PM, DanCooper said:

As impressive as the final number for this Showcase 4 CGC 9.6 was, rumblings over in the Heritage thread in the Golden Age forum, alluding to it may have been sold privately over the past year for $1.5 million!

If so, that would amount to a MASSIVE $750,000 LOSS! Considering Heritage gets 20% from the buyer side ($150,000 minus from the $900K) AND the seller didn't get hit with a commission from Heritage also.

As I said in that thread, the sad fact is that there are a lot of well-heeled SA collectors who will simply never touch a DC, no matter how cool or historically important that DC might be.

On 1/25/2024 at 7:50 AM, Chiparus said:

I upgraded a couple issues in last nights comic-link auction. 

71 from 9.2 to 9.4 - A tough one to find. 

&

74 from 9.4 to 9.6

There are some fantastic books coming up in Heritage's March auction:

#5 in 9.2

#6 in 8.5

#7 in 9.4 - wow

#17 in 7.5 

#20 in 9.4 - wow

I see a few i will bid on, next months auction, Seeing some of the sales were interesting I'm glad I got my 9.6 1st Anthro when I did! half price of the sale last night!

On 3/9/2024 at 6:51 AM, Hepcat said:

Hmmmm. So I see that CGC doesn't penalize for a miscut left edge.

:frown:

Assuming you're referring to the miswrap that results in a white stripe down the spine, no, CGC never have.  Otherwise, there would be a whole lot less 9.8 and 9.6 BA and CA books, since QP went out the window during that period.  At least the white stripe here is relatively straight.  There are plenty 9.8 and 9.6 BA and CA monstrosities where the white stripe (and the entire cover) is crooked.  

On 3/9/2024 at 10:16 PM, tth2 said:

There are plenty 9.8 and 9.6 BA and CA monstrosities where the white stripe (and the entire cover) is crooked.  

Oh groan.

:tonofbricks:

Bronze Age comics are so common in high grade that I won't buy those with a white stripe.

:preach:

Edited by Hepcat

If the stripe is even and only the amount seen in that 102 I'd buy it all day. I mean that specifically on low demand low pop stuff as life is too short to wait for something that may never show up.

But yeah on high pop stuff pass on those slabs

Edited by MAR1979