• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attempting to collect DC Showcase 1-104 in 9.0 or better!
7 7

341 posts in this topic

On 12/20/2022 at 3:04 PM, Silver said:

Yes, Ive appeared on a few of them, He’s making some great content. 👍

Agree, love the 'show and tell' videos. Some epic comics and collections. Would highly recommend others to check them out. I watched the LB Cole video today actually. I'm over in the UK so you can tell your brother he has world wide audience. 

Edited by Chiparus

On 12/20/2022 at 2:26 AM, Chiparus said:

It is a lovely copy and at a good price too. Good buy.

A 9.6 of 77 was also at heritage that went for $630, I was tempted to upgrade but decided against it in the end.... 

believe it or not, there is 9.8 of 68 im tempted on grabbing...

On 12/21/2022 at 1:33 PM, FloridianDemon said:

the #17 has me drooling!

I don't know when you started this Showcase quest you are on, but the Newsboy Showcase 17 was up for auction in November 2020 and sold at Heritage for $26,400. It also sold originally at Heritage in 2009 for $9,560.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F0%2F1%2F5%2F23015129%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I will say about this feat, a high grade showcase run, challenging but at least possible. At least the books exist to do so. I’ve been working on my high grade Captain Comet Strange Adventures run for years, and the problem is the books don’t exist lol. After a certain issue, all the remaining books top out in the 7.5-9.0 range, and there’s usually only 1-4 graded copies in those grades. On top of that rarity, those are already predominantly stuck in private collections, and if available, are priced at a big premium. I guess that’s what to expect from the golden age though, even if it’s the tail end of the era, mid 50’s.

On 12/22/2022 at 6:33 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

I will say about this feat, a high grade showcase run, challenging but at least possible. At least the books exist to do so. I’ve been working on my high grade Captain Comet Strange Adventures run for years, and the problem is the books don’t exist lol. After a certain issue, all the remaining books top out in the 7.5-9.0 range, and there’s usually only 1-4 graded copies in those grades. On top of that rarity, those are already predominantly stuck in private collections, and if available, are priced at a big premium. I guess that’s what to expect from the golden age though, even if it’s the tail end of the era, mid 50’s.

Yep! Im constantly doing research on this run, ironically, the later half of the run is more difficult due to the scarcity of them, a good example is my showcase #66 (my 1st book to start this challenge) cgc 9.0 of which only 2 exist. 2. thats ridiculous lol. And from 94 to 104 in 9.8 only? Pffffffft.

On 11/9/2022 at 12:47 PM, Qalyar said:

All of the early books will be simply brutal to find in 9.0+:

• Showcase 1: one 9.0, none higher
  • Showcase 2: two 8.5, none higher
  • Showcase 3: one 9.0, none higher
  • Showcase 4: 8 books at 9.0 or higher with Universal labels, but ... erm ... yeah.
  • Showcase 5: one 9.4, none higher (and nothing else above an 8.5)

After that, it gradually starts to get a little easier, although these will remain extremely elusive, extremely expensive books for a long way into the run. By the time you're into the late-1960s/1970s issues, some of the minor keys (Spectre covers, 79, 97) will still be fairly spendy objects (but nothing like the early books), and ... whatever you call the opposite of a key, like #81, will be tough to simply find. But at least they exist.

I was waiting for a post like this , it will be virtually impossible to get the run in 9.0 or better even if you are Jeff Bezos because many collectors do not care to sell their books no matter at what price

On 12/23/2022 at 12:58 PM, FoggyNelson said:

I was waiting for a post like this , it will be virtually impossible to get the run in 9.0 or better even if you are Jeff Bezos because many collectors do not care to sell their books no matter at what price

Some of the harder ones im going the raw route and grade it