• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attempting to collect DC Showcase 1-104 in 9.0 or better!
7 7

341 posts in this topic

On 12/23/2022 at 12:58 PM, FoggyNelson said:

I was waiting for a post like this , it will be virtually impossible to get the run in 9.0 or better even if you are Jeff Bezos because many collectors do not care to sell their books no matter at what price

I think this FloridianDemon is Jeff Bezos! :wink:

On 12/23/2022 at 2:08 PM, FloridianDemon said:

ALRIGHT, HUGE NEWS TIME. We got a new raw to grade! estimate 9.4-9.6. this one is VERY scarce and pricey as well.

Showcase 28.jpg

That is a great book! I am really enjoying the ride here. My life is simple. I put together an easy run of Silver Surfer V1 in 8.0 or higher. Everything else is just SA/BA keys, and GA covers I like. Total hodgepodge. The SS run was easy (especially in 8.0 +), and still took some time just to find them all. It's crazy what you are attempting here. I once thought about trying to do X-Men 1-50, with 15-50 all in 9.0 +, and the best I could afford for 1-14. I was too lazy to even attempt that, and it is orders of magnitude easier than what you are doing. Again, keep going. I check this thread often for updates.

On 12/23/2022 at 2:08 PM, FloridianDemon said:

ALRIGHT, HUGE NEWS TIME. We got a new raw to grade! estimate 9.4-9.6. this one is VERY scarce and pricey as well.

Showcase 28.jpg

Let us know if that comes back with any kind of resto. I know it didn’t mention any in the listing, but that’s Kelly Superheroes and they touch up and trim EVERYTHING! But I mean they usually mention any resto in the description, so probably ok. I thought they had a bad rep at one point to over something, but I heard that a long time ago. Not sure if it’s still the case. So I guess what I’m saying is, will just be curious how it turns out for you.

On 12/23/2022 at 6:55 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Let us know if that comes back with any kind of resto. I know it didn’t mention any in the listing, but that’s Kelly Superheroes and they touch up and trim EVERYTHING! But I mean they usually mention any resto in the description, so probably ok. I thought they had a bad rep at one point to over something, but I heard that a long time ago. Not sure if it’s still the case. So I guess what I’m saying is, will just be curious how it turns out for you.

Yeah i double checked the listing and messaged them. Also They have an 100% postive listing with everyone saying the grading are pretty accurate. So fingers crossed here lol

On 12/23/2022 at 11:41 PM, FloridianDemon said:

Yeah i double checked the listing and messaged them. Also They have an 100% postive listing with everyone saying the grading are pretty accurate. So fingers crossed here lol

Yeah I’m sure you’re fine. I just know they have a history, but keep us posted as I’m sure you will. Super interested what it comes back as though and fingers crossed you get the 9.4 or 9.6!

On 12/23/2022 at 7:21 PM, 1950's war comics said:

nice one ! i can't wait to check back in 15 months to see if it makes a 9.0 or better !!

@FloridianDemonYou’re going to do economy fast track or standard right? You seem eager to do this so can’t imagine you would send this in regular economy and wait like 10 months or so as War Comics is implying.

On 12/24/2022 at 12:38 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

@FloridianDemonYou’re going to do economy fast track or standard right? You seem eager to do this so can’t imagine you would send this in regular economy and wait like 10 months or so as War Comics is implying.

So I got a little secret, I send all my books to my presser and cleaner, and then he hand delivers them to cgc. And I fast track on top of that, takes like 1 to 2 weeks max. Perks of living in FL!

On 12/24/2022 at 12:43 AM, FloridianDemon said:

So I got a little secret, I send all my books to my presser and cleaner, and then he hand delivers them to cgc. And I fast track on top of that, takes like 1 to 2 weeks max. Perks of living in FL!

If he’s doing fast track then you must be doing economy, which is running 20 business days, but sometimes they get it done quicker. Fast track isn’t an option of course with the more expensive tiers so going to assume you’re not doing those. And yeah nice to be in Florida and save on shipping!

On 12/24/2022 at 1:02 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

If he’s doing fast track then you must be doing economy, which is running 20 business days, but sometimes they get it done quicker. Fast track isn’t an option of course with the more expensive tiers so going to assume you’re not doing those. And yeah nice to be in Florida and save on shipping!

They finish super quick cause they basically start processing when he drops them off, I sent in 4 books like a month ago and they came back in a week.

On 12/24/2022 at 5:36 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah I’m sure you’re fine. I just know they have a history, but keep us posted as I’m sure you will. Super interested what it comes back as though and fingers crossed you get the 9.4 or 9.6!

Likewise, I'm very keen to see the result. I sent them some questions about the book a while back but they didn't respond which I thought was suspect. Fingers crossed for you. 

On 12/24/2022 at 3:09 AM, Chiparus said:

Likewise, I'm very keen to see the result. I sent them some questions about the book a while back but they didn't respond which I thought was suspect. Fingers crossed for you. 

Thanks! Hopefully its all smooth sailing from here, if i get a purple label, me and ebay will have a word with them lol

On 12/24/2022 at 9:17 AM, FloridianDemon said:

Thanks! Hopefully its all smooth sailing from here, if i get a purple label, me and ebay will have a word with them lol

I found the old 56 page thread on this guy. Just making sure you’re aware for future purchases, but I’m sure this one will be the end if it doesn’t go well for you. He has a history of selling way over graded books as well. Claiming 9.6’s and books coming back 8.0-8.5.

On 12/24/2022 at 9:53 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

I found the old 56 page thread on this guy. Just making sure you’re aware for future purchases, but I’m sure this one will be the end if it doesn’t go well for you. He has a history of selling way over graded books as well. Claiming 9.6’s and books coming back 8.0-8.5.

Damn now im over here sweating! well i will double check everything when i get it in. Either we get an awesome grade or a refund, no in the middle with me!

On 12/24/2022 at 10:42 AM, FloridianDemon said:

Damn now im over here sweating! well i will double check everything when i get it in. Either we get an awesome grade or a refund, no in the middle with me!

Yeah and sorry not trying to turn this into a scary situation or anything for ya. I of course hope it works out, but just felt compelled to let you know who he is. Anyway, no need to keep beating a dead horse and best of luck on this one.

On 12/24/2022 at 11:07 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah and sorry not trying to turn this into a scary situation or anything for ya. I of course hope it works out, but just felt compelled to let you know who he is. Anyway, no need to keep beating a dead horse and best of luck on this one.

No I truly am glad you said something so i can take the rose tinted glasses off and have a staring contest with the book when it gets here lol. Working on getting other showcase as well!

For more history,  KellySuperheros is the notorious comic book super villain Danny Dupcak! 

An infamous con artist, who routinely altered books and sold them as unrestored. He was so talented,  CGC couldn't detect his work.  He was bold enough to fake a warehouse find in Connecticut and sold dozens of SA keys as high grade, untouched books..... in reality,  they were restored and trimmed books he had altered. 

Danny served time for signature fraud on sports collectibles I believe.... 

However - he seems to have cleaned things up with his latest business venture. He still buys hundreds of books and expertly and needlessly restores them. But he does seem to disclose the restoration (all be it in very small print).  

I would also argue,  no one in the world is better at picking out restoration than Danny. So if he tells you there is no restoration, your likely good.