• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a purple label really the end of the world?
1 1

34 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2022 at 11:15 AM, Robot Man said:

And to answer your question, on GA books, I can live with some minor resto depending on price. 

Same here - if the price is right, I have no problem with a minor restored GA book, unless it's trimmed. That's a rough one to recover from for most people.

I had subbed a set of Wolverine Limited Series that I got from a collection, and man - they were really nice. I got sequential numbering (which was kind of a cool minor detail)

When I opened the CGC book and pulled each one (I never used to look at the grades beforehand) #1...9.8 #2...9.8 #3....9.8 #4...............9.8 PLOD

no-michael-scott.gif.4cea69424048ee20ea62c95f25341e24.gif

#4 (black cover) came back 9.8 with color touch - someone had taken a marker and colored in a spine tick...I sold all of them, and sold that PLOD for probably the grading fees is all.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 11/25/2022 at 10:09 AM, mephistopheles said:

Can only find the resubmission video now. 9 minute mark: 

I’m absolutely flabbergasted this guy attempted to scrape off the colortouch on this one. 5-6 grades on this book can’t be selling for more than $75. what’s the point? Then to make it worse he misses all the color touch spots. 

This guy probably got a press 6 months go, pressed a couple moderns watched a couple YouTube tutorials and now he thinks he’s an expert 

this community is high comedy sometimes 

It depends on the rarity of the comic. 

Minor restoration, whether it's a small color touch or tear seal doesn't bother me at all.

Moderate to extensive has to be on a very rare golden age book. Most likely from 1940 or older. 

Trimmed is a deal breaker. 

Edited by D84

It all boils down to price, personal preference, and how important the speculative side of collecting is to you.

Are you buying a book that you are intending to resell?  Then unless you are getting a very good upfront price, you may have difficulty selling the book later, as the buying pool for restored books is smaller, and people tend to see the upside of them as more limited.

On the other hand, if you are buying a rarer book for your collection that wouldn’t make sense for you financially at unrestored prices, then I think restored books can make a lot of sense, depending on what you prefer as a collector.

If you personally don’t mind color touch ( any other particular kind of restoration), and you aren’t planning on selling a book, it makes a lot of sense to consider the savings from a restored book.

Just make sure that you are comfortable with the book and the price.

It’s fine unless it’s not fine.  As is the case most of the time, it depends….

I'd take 8.5 Blue Label over a 9.8 Purple any time However on a post 1975 book I really do not want either

While I am a 9.8 collector some of my favorite all-time slabs are 9.2's,9.4's and 9.6's I purchased raw at cons and LCS' when i was kid and submitted to CGC myself. Several of them are in my current signature.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/26/2022 at 5:53 PM, D2 said:

I have green label books… isn’t that bad enough

I have one green 🍏 and one purple 😂

The green is a fcbd that someone added a sticker to. :(

But the purple is trimmed at the top and slight color touch. Argh 😤

Honestly I think the hobby would be a much more positive place if everything was blue and the defects (both intentional and unintentional) were taken into consideration in the same way.  Too much has been made of some villain in his basement applying color touch versus a kid playing with his marker trying to make his beloved comic look nicer.  They’re both the same thing when it comes to its effect on a book.  Just make it blue, hammer it for its flaws, and let the color discrimination die.  

Too late for this I know, but I find the color coding and the vitriol and hate that it brings with it to be the biggest turnoff of this hobby for me.

Ive told this story before, but its too amusing to not tell again. While I was in college I visited a comic shop about
60 miles or so from my home. I was young and independent back then. Anyway they had alot of nice older ASM
that I asked about. Owner asked me where I was from and I told him. He asked if I knew another collector and 
I did, but I said no figuring there was a story. Sure enough one of the local collectors in my area sold them a bunch
of older ASM books that he had color touched up everyone of them on the spine due to his OCD. I always wondered if
they found him. I haven't seen the collector in years, but I have always wondered. They are out there everywhere.

Before I sold my books, I had bought a small run of PLOD X-Men, 94-114, except for a few sold before I got there. They were original owner books that looked great and were in 8.0- 9.4 slabs.  I opened the 8.0 and couldn't see the supposed color touch, nor could my friends.  Unslabbed, few would know the difference and I'd much rather have that run slabbed in purple than just one book in blue.  The guy who bought them agreed and was thrilled with them.