• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mycomicshop cancelled my order without asking me, I lost money on the foreign exchange refund and they have stopped contacting me and done nothing to make it right.
2 2

105 posts in this topic

I have never had such a bad customer service interaction. I purchased a X-Men 101 and a strange tales annual 2, upon receiving my purchase invoice I realized that the X-Men 101 was out of stock. When I received the "shipped notification it had looked like it shipped without the X-Men 101 despite me paying full price for both books. I emailed them and they said that they caught the mistake and would be refunding me, no explanation as to why this had happened or an apology, but nevertheless I was glad it hadn't shipped without the reason i made the order (X-Men 101). But upon receiving the refund I noticed that the amount was for less than the amount I had purchased the books for, this was due to the foreign exchange difference. So I emailed them again, asking to be made whole, as the mistake, whatever it was, was made by them. They did not respond and after 15 more emails they did not respond, I have been a customer for 7 years and I thought they were consummate professionals, but upon further inspection of their website I noticed a pattern of consignment books being "sold" then being reposted for triple the price. I am dumbfounded, has anyone else had this experience? If anyone from MyComicShop cares to reach out I am happy to chat, but this has been absolutely dreadful and I am quite shocked at how poorly everyone from their customer service team has handled this. 

Attached are some photos of the same books being reposted. If you want to verify this: Search up the book, add it to your want list, go to "new listings", filter the search engine by "only on my want list and view that they have reposted books (Thor 112, X-Men 101, Strange Tales Annual 2)

Screenshot 2022-11-26 182317.png

Screenshot 2022-11-26 182257.png

thumbnail.png

thumbnail (1).png

thumbnail (3).png

thumbnail (4).png

On 11/26/2022 at 6:26 PM, KEVIN WRIGHT said:

I emailed them and they said that they caught the mistake and would be refunding me, no explanation as to why this had happened or an apology,

They probably should have apologized but I don't think an explanation is necessary. 

An explanation would be an excuse.  Maybe a cultural difference, but in the US offering excuses is almost always frowned upon. Nobody in America really wants to hear an excuse.

We just want it to get done and if it doesn't get done we don't want to hear about it, we just want our money back ASAP.

On 11/26/2022 at 7:26 PM, KEVIN WRIGHT said:

I have never had such a bad customer service interaction. I purchased a X-Men 101 and a strange tales annual 2, upon receiving my purchase invoice I realized that the X-Men 101 was out of stock. When I received the "shipped notification it had looked like it shipped without the X-Men 101 despite me paying full price for both books. I emailed them and they said that they caught the mistake and would be refunding me, no explanation as to why this had happened or an apology, but nevertheless I was glad it hadn't shipped without the reason i made the order (X-Men 101). But upon receiving the refund I noticed that the amount was for less than the amount I had purchased the books for, this was due to the foreign exchange difference. So I emailed them again, asking to be made whole, as the mistake, whatever it was, was made by them. They did not respond and after 15 more emails they did not respond, I have been a customer for 7 years and I thought they were consummate professionals, but upon further inspection of their website I noticed a pattern of consignment books being "sold" then being reposted for triple the price. I am dumbfounded, has anyone else had this experience? If anyone from MyComicShop cares to reach out I am happy to chat, but this has been absolutely dreadful and I am quite shocked at how poorly everyone from their customer service team has handled this. 

Attached are some photos of the same books being reposted. If you want to verify this: Search up the book, add it to your want list, go to "new listings", filter the search engine by "only on my want list and view that they have reposted books (Thor 112, X-Men 101, Strange Tales Annual 2)

Tagging @mycomicshop on this.

As to the same books being sold and reposted for higher prices......you can likely thank the flippers for that. 

Often times people will buy books they think they can get more money for, and then immediately have MCS relist the books for them on consignment at the higher price.

It's not the same, and it wasn't even MCS, but I have "purchased" a book on one of the big comic sites which they couldn't find and said they thought might have been stolen at the last Show they attended.  Honestly, all these places have gigantic inventories, and in many cases have books for sale on their sites that aren't even in their possession.  It's too bad you're the one who was "caught" but that there aren't a lot more of these kinds of stories is a minor miracle.

On 11/26/2022 at 6:52 PM, Cat said:

That's the risk you take when dealing with foreign countries, that if the deal falls through you may lose money on the exchange, and I say that as someone who is also a foreigner, so yes, I am used to this sort of situation, and yes, I do have sympathy for you, but it's the risk you take. Their duty is to make you whole X amount of dollars USD, and if they've done that, then they've fulfilled their part of the bargain. Just because it was a bad time for you to convert is not their problem. It sucks for you, but that's the risk you take. If you end up ahead in the exchange, which does happen sometimes, I wouldn't expect you to pay them that back either. 

I see that but I think it is unreasonable for them to ghost me when I've been a customer for 7 years. Or instead of cancelling the order they could have reached out to me. I am actually learning about forex hedges in my program right now so I totally get that they are responsible for refunding me the USD amount, but it really feels especially considering how good of a customer I have been for them. The reason for posting this is in the hopes that they reach out to me with some kind of explanation for what happened. It wasn't much in foreign exchange but it would go a long way for them to pour a little oil on troubled waters. So I appreciate you responding as I hope they can reach out and maybe try to make a remedy.

On 11/26/2022 at 9:53 PM, KEVIN WRIGHT said:

It wasn't much in foreign exchange but it would go a long way for them to pour a little oil on troubled waters.

I face the same with the fluctuating Euro to the USD all the time. It places a big charge to the accounting department of any firm to consider to refund you at what might have been the exchange rate back when you paid and even then, the transaction was listed, agreed and paid in USD. The refund must be in USD. Even considering they should / would consider FX fluctuations is a bridge too far. Imagine if you'd tell them you used Bitcoin to pay them in USD!

Kevin, I feel for you.

Take a deep breath in, pause, and exhale. Yes, the exchange thing sucks. What is the timeline for this incident? Is the date of 15 NOV 2022, in your posting when you purchased the comics? If so, reflect on how you sent them "15 more emails" when they notified you of the problem. I get it, because every so often, I go ballistic (anger management issues). But once I cool down, I ask what I could have done differently. And the long Thanksgiving Holiday more than likely impacted a response. I hope this gets resolved and/or they offer some form of discount for your next purchase.

For what it's worth, I had very positive experiences with MyComicShop

On 11/26/2022 at 5:26 PM, KEVIN WRIGHT said:

They did not respond and after 15 more emails they did not respond

That's understandable, given that's an excessive amount of emails. That's like texting a girl repeatedly with no response and not taking the hint that she's just not interested in you. 

Edited by Flanders82

On 11/26/2022 at 10:02 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

Is the date of 15 NOV 2022, in your posting when you purchased the comics? If so, reflect on how you sent them "15 more emails" when they notified you of the problem.

After receiving the 10th email, standard protocol would be to send in The Wolf directly.

Mr1.thumb.jpg.fbfdcf9e0637b49fead3000bec581581.jpg

When I saw this post on reddit I couldn't even figure out what the issue was--were consignors manipulating the MCS listing system somehow? But thanks to this thread I get it now, it's just people picking stuff up cheap at the auctions and immediately consigning. Which seems like a precarious way to make money? But I guess if something doesn't sell at the flipped price you just relist it at the auctions and break evenish.