• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE GRADE IS IN! ASM 1
2 2

44 posts in this topic

On 12/6/2022 at 9:14 AM, Roger66 said:

Based on the very insightful comments above as well as my 2 cents :flamed:- I would NOT press this book regardless of the credentials of your presser ----- and I'd pack this book using a top-loader as well as bag with a clear note to CGC to handle with care.  I would also send it express tier for the fasting shipping and return possible.  I also think with the culminative wear and tear - a press will not make a difference other than appearance-wise perhaps and the less people handling with less transit on this raw book the better. :peace:

I think I have to do walkthru tier anyway since its capped at 3k value on express.  Maybe im wrong?

On 12/7/2022 at 12:48 PM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

This is a great example of why collecting comics is..... A SUPER FINE THING........I luv these kind of stories......It's the hunt which is so much fun.

Its something every collector including me dreams about.  I wish I would have had a phone rolling video but honestly I had no idea that was going to happen.

The days of buying a big old box of comics like that aren't over! Gives us all hope but being realistic, you are one lucky lucky chap! It seem SA gets some leniency on the grading. If it were my comic I'd be at 2.0 max even 1.8 but I can easily see it getting 3.0

Can you post another thread with the story of how you ended up buying this box of treasures? We all love those stories!! 

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 12/8/2022 at 6:48 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

The days of buying a big old box of comics like that aren't over! Gives us all hope but being realistic, you are one lucky lucky chap! It seem SA gets some leniency on the grading. If it were my comic I'd be at 2.0 max even 1.8 but I can easily see it getting 3.0

Can you post another thread with the story of how you ended up buying this box of treasures? We all love those stories!! 

It was really just sheer luck and some knowledge on my end.  I always look at Facebook Marketplace during the day to see comic book deals.  I saw a listing with a box completely full of silver age books, it was only showing the backs of the books but you could tell it was a ton of silver age for $100.  Complete steal, told the person I would come now even though i was at work and it was an hour away. When I got to load them up the box with most of the books was a rotted old box just completely full of books and was collapsing the whole time I was carrying it to the car.  On the way back to my office, I kind of dug a little bit in the smaller box next to me, 4 books down found a 1st vision and I knew it was going to be an amazing find, a little further down an X-men 50.  Got it all home later that evening and pulled the books out of the long box because at the time I thought it was full of mouse shreds (ended up being termites), the very bottom of the box, I spotted the tiniest sliver of Thing on the cover of an ASM 1 and my stomach sank.  Pulled everything off of that book and started freaking out.  It was sitting next to a pile of shredded books but it was untouched by the termites.  It was the one and only ASM book in the entire collection.  The majority of the collection was coverless army type books and a few different keys that i am keeping for myself.  

Update:  I did get it pressed and cleaned by a local presser I trust. I can't see the grade yet but I can see that it got a universal label!  So I am at least super happy that it cleared that hurdle. Here are some pictures post pressing.  The creases from the tear just couldnt come out flat with the minimal pressing that he was willing to try on it but the presentation is way cleaner.  The back shots are before and after it was cleaned and he just did a light UV treatment for whitning without peroxide.

1.jpg

318158109_2958633087764683_1678020946019906365_n.jpg

319698285_900025451368220_1688880074341942070_n.jpg