• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 'This Community Is Temporarily Unavailable' Has Been Shocking Lately
3 3

181 posts in this topic

• Administrator

With the amount of technical issues that are occurring with trying to role out an update, the CGC chat boards will most likely not be updated until January. The main issue is with third party plugins compliance with the update.

On 12/13/2022 at 5:14 PM, CGC Mike said:

With the amount of technical issues that are occurring with trying to role out an update, the CGC chat boards will most likely not be updated until January. The main issue is with third party plugins compliance with the update.

Capture.thumb.PNG.70749f88f2662d52d503c86004044696.PNG

Edited by Get Marwood & I
I'm changing the seasons, and I'm putting my demons, putting my demons to bed.

On 12/13/2022 at 12:47 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Thanks for the update Mike. I know it's not your fault, or within your power to change, but the hardcore of regular members who keep this forum alive tend to do so by visiting daily and the thought of this carrying on any longer is too much. It's not a dip in every so often type of place for a big group of people. If you are all in, then a daily battle with the site is a disaster. It's why some of us are so vocal about it. If this is going to carry on through January then that's another month at least of this daily frustration. Again, it's not your fault, but sooner or later those that keep the place ticking over are going to give up and go elsewhere. The world is a rotten place lately, and we come here to relax, chat and have fun. We can't do that if the site is slow and crashing all the time. Many members left the last time this happened a year or two back. I see many more jumping ship if this goes on for any length of time. What we can't understand is why a business of CGCs stature, with all the resources behind it, can't pull out all the stops to fix the issues that plague all it's platforms. It feels like you are beholden to the IT guys, not their paymasters. Money talks, doesn't it? Can you not pay for more IT resource?

Anyway, I say this because I care. Too much, probably, as I sometimes display by letting my frustration boil over. I come here daily, sometimes on and off all day, as it's my comic home. I want that to continue. But I'll be adding departure to my new year's resolution list if this isn't fixed soon. Life's too short to stare at a buffering screen all day, wondering if the post you've spent ages typing is going to land or whether the PM you've just sent your mate will disappear and have to be rewritten.

I don't own this site, or even pay to be a member of it. You can tell me to go and fly a kite, accordingly. But please - from one person who cares about the forum to another - do what you can to let those at the top, who control the purse strings, know how important the site is to so many of us. Don't let this drag on for another month, please! :foryou:

That last bit was pretty dramatic, wasn't it :)

I think what Mike is saying is that they aren’t going to try to install the new software until the new year.  Their attempts are causing all these glitches, so the endless buffering should subside until the “IT crew” tries again in January.

On 12/13/2022 at 5:57 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I think what Mike is saying is that they aren’t going to try to install the new software until the new year.  Their attempts are causing all these glitches, so the endless buffering should subside until the “IT crew” tries again in January.

Ah, that will be better, if you're right. I thought the update was needed to fix the issues but maybe I got that wrong. You lose track after a while, don't you.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to remind people how important the place is to some of us every now and again does it. Here's to a 504 error message / buffering free Christmas! :wishluck:

On 12/13/2022 at 1:01 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Ah, that will be better, if you're right. I thought the update was needed to fix the issues but maybe I got that wrong. You lose track after a while, don't you.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to remind people how important the place is to some of us every now and again does it. Here's to a 504 error message / buffering free Christmas! :wishluck:

:wishluck:

• Administrator

I realize how frustrated everyone is.  This includes me.  I am having a difficult time performing my duties here.  I have already pulled ALL strings.  This will not get fixed until January.   They attempted to do the update on a low use forum, and it crashed the forum.  They do realize this is CCG's busiest site, and want to make sure things do not get lost forever.  This forum is very important to management.  When some PM's didn't go through early one Sunday morning, I brought it up to the President of CCG (all of our companies).  He was very sympathetic about the situation.  

I do not want to move away from Invision at this point.  I know it has it's glitches but, I also know we could end up worse off.  Every time we make drastic changes, stuff gets lost or broken forever.   Anyone remember "the big switch" of 2007 to 2008 or thereabouts? I hope everyone tries to make the best of things until we can get this properly fixed.  

On 12/13/2022 at 6:15 PM, CGC Mike said:

I have already pulled ALL strings

Have you tried pulling their hair Mike? Or calling them names? Rotter, maybe. Or smeldo?

Was it the attempts to put the update in that was causing the outage issues, or was the update trying to fix them? 

• Administrator
On 12/13/2022 at 1:36 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Was it the attempts to put the update in that was causing the outage issues

To be honest, I am not sure what caused the outage issues.  Everything that I was told, I posted on the forum.  All of my attempts revolved around fixing whatever was wrong.  

On 12/13/2022 at 1:50 PM, CGC Mike said:

To be honest, I am not sure what caused the outage issues.  Everything that I was told, I posted on the forum.  All of my attempts revolved around fixing whatever was wrong.  

Any chance this forum will ever have a functioning search engine?:wishluck:

• Administrator
On 12/13/2022 at 1:36 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Have you tried pulling their hair Mike? Or calling them names? Rotter, maybe. Or smeldo?

I didn't.  maybe I should just add your post above to the ticket.  hm

On 12/13/2022 at 7:26 PM, workingdog said:

As of this writing, full functionality of the Control Panel has been fully restored (at least for me).  I am no longer receiving any kind of error codes (thumbsu

clangers.gif.c2621404a45d9deed45ecefe8cbaef37.gif

On 12/13/2022 at 6:15 PM, CGC Mike said:

I realize how frustrated everyone is.  This includes me.  I am having a difficult time performing my duties here.  I have already pulled ALL strings.  This will not get fixed until January.   They attempted to do the update on a low use forum, and it crashed the forum.  They do realize this is CCG's busiest site, and want to make sure things do not get lost forever.  This forum is very important to management.  When some PM's didn't go through early one Sunday morning, I brought it up to the President of CCG (all of our companies).  He was very sympathetic about the situation.  

I do not want to move away from Invision at this point.  I know it has it's glitches but, I also know we could end up worse off.  Every time we make drastic changes, stuff gets lost or broken forever.   Anyone remember "the big switch" of 2007 to 2008 or thereabouts? I hope everyone tries to make the best of things until we can get this properly fixed.  

Nothing else we can do really, at worst it's annoying but doesn't impact too severely. There's definitely been worse IT issues in the past.

On a different tack, do you plan to bring back the Moderation thread and the points applied thread, or are they gone for good?

Personally I think the moderation discussion thread doesn't need bringing back because invariably there is trouble and more work I guess for you, but the points applied thread is useful, in that it acts as a guideline to where the behaviour thresholds (at any given time) are set.