• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What if CGC damage a submitted book?
2 2

16 posts in this topic

I know stuff happens but I wonder what people's experience has been with CGC damaging submissions.

Over the years I've had a couple of books that were 9.8 candidates suffer crunches, bends or worse that weren't there before shipping and unlikely to have occured in transit. In a recent submission there were a couple of books that have the same grader notes re corner crunches so I'm guessing that they must have been dropped toegether after the boxes were opened.

Luckily these weren't especially valuable books but still it's disappointing to get back a much lower grade than the book you sent in.

Always take complete high quality photo's of the books prior to sending them; it will at least give you something to stand on. Generally though it is either a loss or the person that is made an offer is tight lipped about the details. You can read some of the after tales in the where is QC thread, the last major incident the poster straight up said they were not allowed to disclose the outcome.

On 1/12/2023 at 6:11 PM, Sackolantern said:

CGC took a graded CGC book I sent in for CCS press and re-grade.  CCS opened a 1 1/2 spine split on the 1947 book, taking it from 7 before to 5 after . I received an emailed "oops". Period. I got to eat the 2k in reduced value.

If someone had a book with a known spine split, that was sent in for a clean and press, new damage done is the shared responsibility of the owner of the book and CCS. The owner should have known there was a risk of more splitting occurring, and CCS should have said "we don't recommend this work be done at the expense of new damage occurring".

The idea that everything can just be pressed regardless of consequences is exhausting.

On 1/13/2023 at 11:44 AM, Phill the Governor said:

If someone had a book with a known spine split, that was sent in for a clean and press, new damage done is the shared responsibility of the owner of the book and CCS. The owner should have known there was a risk of more splitting occurring, and CCS should have said "we don't recommend this work be done at the expense of new damage occurring".

The idea that everything can just be pressed regardless of consequences is exhausting.

?? Maybe I missed something??

Who mentioned an existing spline split, prior to pressing?  The book was a 7.5 with only a small chunk out of one edge - with grader notes indicating small creases on the cover that were only visible when looking hard at an angle - as if if had other books sitting on it in a pile -  that's what I hoped to remediate with the pressing.  I said that CCS contacted me because their pressing CREATED a 1-2" spine split where NOTHING existed before.  I have no idea where the "known spine split" you mention comes from, but it is not related to my situation.

On 1/17/2023 at 9:17 PM, Sackolantern said:

The book was a 7.5 with only a small chunk out of one edge - with grader notes indicating small creases on the cover that were only visible when looking hard at an angle - as if if had other books sitting on it in a pile -  that's what I hoped to remediate with the pressing.

To clarify, was the book ever viewed or handled raw, or was it graded the entire time and then re-subbed for a press?

CCS opened a 1 1/2 spine split on the 1947 book.

On 1/17/2023 at 9:17 PM, Sackolantern said:

Who mentioned an existing spline split, prior to pressing?  I have no idea where the "known spine split" you mention comes from, but it is not related to my situation.

When you said CCS "opened" a split, the connotation I see is that there's something to "open". If you said CCS "caused a 1 1/2 spine split" it would infer completely new damage; based on your words.

I asked if it were raw before sending in because certain things could easily be remembered and other things could certainly be overlooked. Do you still happen to have the label for the book prior to re-subbing? You said the graders notes on the 1st time around mentioned creasing to the cover, but I would be incredibly surprised if that was all the notes said. The "moderate tanning interior cover" is very apparent just from looking at the book and included with the notes this time around; I would think the cover tanning notes would be there the first time too since it couldn't have occurred in a 2 years period between grading. There are also notes about light staining..

On 1/18/2023 at 12:09 AM, Sackolantern said:

Raw, original owner. I sent for grading, then 2 years later reviewed the notes, and resubbed for a press. Having a better idea of grading now, in hindsight it might not have bumped it up a grade.

Cover tanning is one of those things that is insidious. It can be fine, sometimes pressed okay with no issue (carefully), but from what I'm seeing from the one pic is a (structurally beautiful copy!) that has moderate cover tanning (and definitely concentrated on the edges and entire spine) and is delicate to handle let alone perform work on.

Curiously.. did you get this on ebay from someone in Long Island??

On 12/23/2022 at 5:37 AM, Joe Fox said:

I know stuff happens but I wonder what people's experience has been with CGC damaging submissions.

Over the years I've had a couple of books that were 9.8 candidates suffer crunches, bends or worse that weren't there before shipping and unlikely to have occured in transit. In a recent submission there were a couple of books that have the same grader notes re corner crunches so I'm guessing that they must have been dropped toegether after the boxes were opened.

Luckily these weren't especially valuable books but still it's disappointing to get back a much lower grade than the book you sent in.

The CGC usually provides the opportunity to file a complaint and review if you do not agree with the results. Documenting the condition of books before shipping, photographs, and good packaging can help protect against potential damage. Lately I’ve been reading online, so recently I was looking for narrative, storytelling, personal topics for college, and found https://papersowl.com/blog/narrative-essay-topics for this. So I stopped worrying about damage to the book, etc. Although I used to be very worried about this myself, I had never been in such a situation.

In the event of damage caused by the appraisal service, it is important to contact them immediately.

Edited by AnnSteverson

I had 2 SS books returned in the last few months with color breaking creases on the cover - weirdly in the same spot (lower front cover right corner)

CGC took a graded CGC book I sent in for CCS press and re-grade.  CCS opened a 1 1/2 spine split on the 1947 book, taking it from 7 before to 5 after . I received an emailed "oops". Period. I got to eat the 2k in reduced value.

Blown spines are common on GA books that get pressed. Pressing is always at your own risk. (I've never had a book pressed, and the possibility of a blown spine is one of the reasons.)