• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPAWN! A look back at an award-winning collection of graded slabs.
10 10

820 posts in this topic

On 1/9/2024 at 3:16 AM, Poutine said:

I like this cover. Fairly simple and clean. A bit stiff perhaps, but there are worse out there

It's not bad! 

I just don't like Jonboy's "Japanime" style. Also, Spawn with teeth? SMH

On 1/9/2024 at 1:15 PM, newshane said:

It's not bad! 

I just don't like Jonboy's "Japanime" style. Also, Spawn with teeth? SMH

Yeah I do agree

SPAWN 259 SKETCH COVER (SANDOVAL VARIANT) - CGC 9.8 - SIGNED BY GERARDO SANDOVAL 

Wow! I forgot about this one! Gerardo Sandoval rocks! A nice departure from the middle school art class stuff we've been seeing. 

Beautiful signature book I wish I would have kept, looking back on it. Reminds me of the ultra-busy stuff Silvestri, Lee, and McFarlane would sometimes draw. Retains the classic feel of the series, with the exception of the whole "Venom-Spawn" look. 

259ske.jpg

Edited by newshane

Years ago, I left a pretty nasty message on Twitter for Erik Larsen. He responded, and I felt terrible. He was clearly hurt by my criticism, and I knew that I had taken it too far. 

I don't really want to beat up on him anymore, so I won't. 

I'd like to say that the Savage Dragon was awesome. His style fit his creation and was rather unique. He was also an important part of the early days of Image. I give him credit for what he's accomplished! 

But he had no business drawing Spawn, and his short run on the title marked the absolute lowest point for art in the series. 

Take a look at his interior work and judge for yourself. I think this is rather pathetic...

xv4pYuu8_0610222056401gpadd.jpeg

On 1/15/2024 at 2:29 PM, newshane said:

Years ago, I left a pretty nasty message on Twitter for Erik Larsen. He responded, and I felt terrible. He was clearly hurt by my criticism, and I knew that I had taken it too far. 

I don't really want to beat up on him anymore, so I won't. 

I'd like to say that the Savage Dragon was awesome. His style fit his creation and was rather unique. He was also an important part of the early days of Image. I give him credit for what he's accomplished! 

But he had no business drawing Spawn, and his short run on the title marked the absolute lowest point for art in the series. 

Take a look at his interior work and judge for yourself. I think this is rather pathetic...

xv4pYuu8_0610222056401gpadd.jpeg

You weren't wrong. That is totally lazy and uninspired. 

Even Sam Kieth at his laziest is better 

SPAWN 261 - CGC 9.8 - SANDOVAL VARIANT 

This is probably my favorite Sandoval sketch. I love Violator! 

261bw.jpg

SPAWN 262 - SANDOVAL VARIANT - CGC 9.8 

More fire from Sandoval! 

Creep engine slab. You can see the scanner light reflecting off the wrinkled Mylar layer they used to sandwich it together, 

262bw.jpg

Edited by newshane

SPAWN 263 - CGC 9.8 

Hmm...this cover ain't THAT bad. 

Another dialogue bubble on the cover! I guess there were more than I remember 

263.jpg