• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPAWN! A look back at an award-winning collection of graded slabs.
9 9

801 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2023 at 4:24 PM, newshane said:

SPAWN 20 - CGC 9.8 

Not sure what happened back in the day, but this was actually published AFTER issue 24. (shrug)

edited Spawn 20 F.jpg

I was waiting for you to get to these issues because I recall this happening when I was buying them off of the racks.  I was able to google it and found it.  I thought it may have had something to do with Houdini appearing in these, but it's a bit different - odd though it is.  

Here's the recap:  Back then Spawn's schedule was 10 issues a year but it was running very late (I remember the late part).  Because they were running so late they decided to skip #'s 19 & 20!  So in 1994 they just skipped ahead to #21 and published through #24 (I think because that was the same storyline) and then went back and published the 2-parter in #'s 19-20.  I bet that's why there are slightly lower print runs of a few issues around this time.  Retailers were skeptical to order #21 and not have the 2 before it - or to trust that the books would show up at all.  

Messed up as it is, that's comic book publishing!  Or, at least it was back then.  When Image was getting off the ground many of the books were late and the schedules were loose at best.  

Nice job finding a 9.8 on the white cover for #21.  My guess is that Todd had that image (no pun intended) lying around or just banged it out with a minimal background because they needed something to get that book out and that's why he was back on cover duties for that issue - just my guess.  

On 1/16/2023 at 2:06 PM, newshane said:

SPAWN 21 - CGC 9.8 

Again, I had a few Diamond Distributor boxes full of these. Couldn't find a 9.9. 

These were OLD Diamond Distributor boxes that had sat in a storage shed for a decade or so. But still...

goes to show you how tough 9.9s are to find in the wild. 

I've heard people use the phrase "low print run" to describe this issue. In a REALITIVE sense, I suppose they are correct, but there are still about a gazillion of these out there. 

EDITED Spawn 21 F.jpg

That's funny, I've also heard for years that this was "low print run", but I just don't see how that's possible. I've seen hundreds of them over the years. I did always like the simplicity of that white cover, though.

Really enjoying the thread! I've never really been a "Spawn Guy", but I do admire how he's managed to keep the character alive and afloat all of these years. It's odd to think of Spawn as one of the last true "legacy books" on the stands these days.

SPAWN 23 - CGC 9.8 

After slacking here and there, Todd kicked it back up a notch with this cover. 

I had a few Diamond boxes of these as well. Again, no dice on the 9.9 hunt, and I was really surprised at the condition of most of the books inside the box. NM range, but only a handful at 9.8. 

EDITED Spawn 23 F.jpg

On 1/18/2023 at 7:13 PM, Ryan. said:

I too remember back in the day everyone buying into the idea that issue 21 was short printed. To this day when I see that issue in the wild I have a voice telling me I need to buy it. Fortunately that voice is easy to ignore. 

Yeah. There are still thousands and thousands of them. 

Crazy to think that the print runs sank to around 20K per issue about 12 years ago. 

SPAWN 25 - CGC 9.8 - SIGNED BY MARK SILVESTRI 

Beautiful work here. Love the vibrant colors. Mark Silvestri signature and cover. I miss this one! 

EDITED ss25.jpg

Spawn 26 - CGC 9.8

I am a huge fan of this cover. Love it! 

If I recall correctly, I had a curiously difficult time finding this one in grade. Not sure why. 

edited Spawn 26 F.jpg

On 1/21/2023 at 12:28 PM, newshane said:

Spawn 26 - CGC 9.8

I am a huge fan of this cover. Love it! 

If I recall correctly, I had a curiously difficult time finding this one in grade. Not sure why. 

edited Spawn 26 F.jpg

I'm guessing this I the only one with butterflies... 

Well darn. Simply forgot to post last night. Long work week! 

I'll double up for today. First...

SPAWN 32 - CGC 9.8 

edited Spawn 32 F.jpg