• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else receive comics as gifts in front of people who don't get it?
4 4

49 posts in this topic

On 12/28/2022 at 9:21 AM, Robot Man said:

That is probably one of many reasons she is your “X” girlfriend…

My family could care less. They know me pretty well. They know not to buy me any vintage comics but I do get a few related items. My wife got me the CGC grading guide and my younger daughter got me a very limited edition Batmobile Hot Wheels car. 

yes comics are a huge reason she is my "X". I mentioned it before on these boards, she threw my comic collection away.

Beyond that her behavior at Christmas was deplorable as it was extremely rude to dis someone else's gift. The price guide was a gift from my Grandmother who was sitting there.

Edited by Artboy99

On 12/28/2022 at 9:51 AM, Conali said:

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that everyone on this forum has had an interaction (and probably multiple interactions) with someone deriding their passion or hobby.

I don’t recall ever getting a hard time from anyone about collecting comics.   Or maybe  I just didn’t notice/care.  

On 12/28/2022 at 2:51 PM, Conali said:

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that everyone on this forum has had an interaction (and probably multiple interactions) with someone deriding their passion or hobby.

Love what you love, and don’t ever let someone else tell you what you should be loving.

I tell my kids at least once a week to stay a kid as long as they can…

2c

One of the best pieces of advice I ever read was

”it’s important to remain childlike but never childish” 

My family was always very tolerant, because they were the ones who gave me comics as a very young reader to shut me up.

I caught a lot of flak about it in high school, but I always talked about how much money I made flipping comics. That would shut them up.

Certainly not the best defense of comics as a legitimate art form, but good in the short run. Money talks - Bu****it walks.

On 12/28/2022 at 9:53 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I've been pretty fortunate that over the years of collecting, my wife has come around to understanding comics have value, and generally people don't have any issues at my house, as family tends to hunt around and get me trades and stuff, which is cool, because I get gifts that I actually like!

You quite literally funded the restaurant with your comic books.  I've been around long enough to remember when you were cashing in to "make it happen."

On 12/27/2022 at 8:10 PM, MattrixAlien said:

This year I opened a few comics as presents in front of relations who don't appreciate the hobby. I think comic book shaming is still a thing, particularly for adults xD There were raised eye brows and a couple of mocking comments. I tried to explain why they were cool books but that just made it worse. After the first 2 I discreetly opened the others when people weren't paying attention.  Anyway happy festive season to everyone here. I know you understand the love :)

1065114681_ChristmasTreewithBently.thumb.jpg.bdc3e754888696ffc265e2fa93753a32.jpg

If your relatives are giving you more of a disapproving look than the dog already is... then yeeesh... 

On 12/28/2022 at 2:55 PM, Buzzetta said:

You quite literally funded the restaurant with your comic books.  I've been around long enough to remember when you were cashing in to "make it happen."

That’s right. I think that may have convinced any naysayers in the household to the power of comic books!

On 12/28/2022 at 1:56 PM, Buzzetta said:
On 12/27/2022 at 5:10 PM, MattrixAlien said:

This year I opened a few comics as presents in front of relations who don't appreciate the hobby. I think comic book shaming is still a thing, particularly for adults xD There were raised eye brows and a couple of mocking comments. I tried to explain why they were cool books but that just made it worse. After the first 2 I discreetly opened the others when people weren't paying attention.  Anyway happy festive season to everyone here. I know you understand the love :)

1065114681_ChristmasTreewithBently.thumb.jpg.bdc3e754888696ffc265e2fa93753a32.jpg

If your relatives are giving you more of a disapproving look than the dog already is... then yeeesh... 

I laughed when I first saw that dog - he definitely looks cranky!

I wouldn’t feel bad about it. 

Honestly, I feel bad for people who don’t have a hobby. A true hobby, be it fishing, golfing, cars, comics, checkers, whatever. Something to focus your attention on that doesn’t have anything to do with work, or any other responsibility. 

Reminds me a popular Joey Diaz rant, “You gotta do something”

Warning…. He’s a great comedian, but takes some getting used to…..

Edited by eastriver400

On 12/27/2022 at 10:00 PM, Cat said:

I actually got that from an aunt one year, a little 'talk' that I shouldn't get such 'wasteful' gifts. I asked her if she meant I should get approved items like crochet and gardening stuff, and she said 'exactly, useful things'. She didn't get that I'd just rattled off her interests. 

I would question her intelligence seeing how far the sarcasm went over her head

My ex-wife (with whom I still have an amicable relationship with [go figure 🤷🏻‍♂️]) used to refer to my comics as “garbage” and question why I would want to receive such trash as a gift. Flash forward to the last couple of years and she always seems to hit me up for a loan when she sees the nice profit I make flipping books as an occasional side hustle. I get such a warm, fuzzy feeling whenever she gives me the opportunity to throw that one back in her face and me being the individual_without_enough_empathy I am, I never pass it up :devil:

On 12/28/2022 at 2:39 PM, Ken Aldred said:

The best example I’ve got goes back to my final year at university, pre-Christmas 1988. I’d met another comic book fan in my year on my course, and our group were exchanging presents. As a comic reader who I knew had some taste, I got him a copy of a Captain Britain trade paperback, which resulted with a big ‘Ewww… !’ from his girlfriend and a couple of others there. To us, fantastic comics from two all-time great creators, Alan Moore and Alan Davis, to the others the clear equivalent of presenting a steaming turd in a box. The recipient, however, was very happy with the seasonal gift of comics, which was what mattered, even if the outsiders couldn’t understand.

I actually looked around for copy of that TP awhile ago. I'd be wrapped if I found that under my Christmas tree :)

On 12/29/2022 at 12:56 AM, Dr. Love said:

Sounds about the same stuff I used to get from you super hero collectors about my romance comics!

Cruel, you fanboys can be!

It sucks when comic collectors criticise each other for liking different genres. I'm more of a super hero fan boy, but I remember having my gender questioned because I dared to read a copy of Josie & the Pussycats I picked up at school :bigsmile:

On 12/29/2022 at 11:05 AM, MattrixAlien said:

I actually looked around for copy of that TP awhile ago. I'd be wrapped if I found that under my Christmas tree :)

It’s great stuff.  Some people out there  just can’t appreciate quality.

On 12/29/2022 at 9:22 AM, seanlinc said:

So normally people ask my wife what to get me and she says ebay gift cards which of course go to comics. So I guess I mentioned something awhile back about needing some clothes so much to my chagrin I'm sitting here with $500 in kohl's gift cards and $0 in ebay gift cards 😭

Your friends must have "agreed with you!" lol :kidaround:

But ya, I've learned that lesson myself :cheers: