• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2023
2 2

323 posts in this topic

And we are back. If you are new to this thread, it’s basically about reading comics. No pressure, just enjoying the books. Your goal doesn’t even have to be 1000 books. It could be any amount. Just enjoy the ride. 

So, what counts as a comic? I usually count  22 pages as a book, but that will vary depending on the genre. Use your best guess, and remember this is not a competition. This was originally started as I had a couple of long boxes of books that I had not read and needed some encouragement.

Today I’m going to read TMNT The last Ronin. How about you? :baiting:

Came up well short in 2022, so I'm trying to get ahead of the game. Started off New Year's Day reading some comics!

Alien V2 (2022) 1-4 - Still not loving the Marvel Alien books, but they are improving. Biggest boost is that Salvador Larroca and his ugly photoshopped "art" are finally gone, and that's a big help. 

Tales of the Human Target 1

Human Target 7,8,9 - Still loving everything about the Human Target book. Tickles my nostalgia as a JLI fan, engages my brain as an adult comic fan, and dazzles my eyes with the gorgeous work by Greg Smallwood. Feels tailor-made for me.

Hellboy in Love 1,2

Hellboy and the BPRD 1957 Falling Sky

Young Hellboy: Assault on Castle Death 1-3

Leonide the Vampyr- I'm always down for anything in the Mignola-verse. Of course, none of them have the same power as Mike working on his own stuff, but these various one-shots and minis help slake the thirst until he formally returns.

I may be forgetting something, but that's most of it. 15 books in 2023 SO FAR!

Just read Tintin in America (1931 - 62 pgs).  Non-stop action as our intrepid reporter is on a mission to clean up gangsters in Chicago.  Many narrow escapes from being kidnapped, killed by indians, lynched, run over by a train, chopped into corned beef in a canning factory, and thrown into Lake Michigan.  But luck is with  him and he succeeds in bringing down three mob bosses and their gang before departing again for Europe.

Tintin_tickertape_parade.jpg.0db6f12ce64b9e164d6aa72a5a5d5404.jpg

On 1/7/2023 at 7:51 AM, Norinn Radd said:

Just read Tintin in America (1931 - 62 pgs).  Non-stop action as our intrepid reporter is on a mission to clean up gangsters in Chicago.  Many narrow escapes from being kidnapped, killed by indians, lynched, run over by a train, chopped into corned beef in a canning factory, and thrown into Lake Michigan.  But luck is with  him and he succeeds in bringing down three mob bosses and their gang before departing again for Europe.

Tintin_tickertape_parade.jpg.0db6f12ce64b9e164d6aa72a5a5d5404.jpg

This looks like a lot of fun. I've been a fan of Tintin since seeing the cartoon series in my younger years. I'm missing Tintin in the Congo, but I have the rest. It's on my (long) reading list to read the entire series.

My first reads of 2023:

Twig TPB:

I have mixed feelings about the book. The series was a recommendation from a friend who raved about the artwork. The artwork was great, but at times too much. As Twig went on his journey, there was numerous landscapes, taking readers from panel to panel. It felt like they were just trying to throw in every cool landscape idea they could come up with. Great artwork, but it was just one place after another without any real story about the areas.

Along those lines, my biggest complaint was on the story itself. There was not a lot of depth to the story and not a lot of detail about WHY things needed to happen. The story would have worked better if there was more done in the world building and not just the visuals.

House of M Sketchbook:

As described...but it counts! I have a few other random House of M stories to read to close out that arc.

20230107_105549.jpg

On 1/6/2023 at 12:40 AM, letsgrumble said:

Been stockpiling Detectives since Ram V took over:

So far, 7 out of 1000 read this year:

Detective Comics #1062
Detective Comics #1063
Detective Comics #1064
Detective Comics #1065
Detective Comics #1066
Detective Comics #1067
Detective Comics 2022 Annual

Very good writer.  Like his Swamp Thing story.

Read Cigars of the Pharaoh (1932 - 62 pgs).  A classic Tintin adventure as Hergé was getting the formula down.  This story introduces detectives Thomson & Thompson (or Dupont & Dupond as they were called in the original Belgian comics).

images.jpg.0785a3a15fabfb0353e8c2f434dc5e1f.jpg

This story is also the first appearance of the recurring villain Allan whom @chromium was named after.

1831228548_Allan_small(1).jpg.0cc17efd39671090aff47c209a7a7731.jpg

Tintin stumbles upon an international drug smuggling ring that he ends up foiling.

C0356A3ok.jpg.7b9b450ea2319ab309b689459510a8c1.jpg

Along the way he saves the life of a local maharaja and his son and is hailed as a hero once again by story's end.

Inde.jpg.eaceb2ff247ecf07fd29417903fe0693.jpg