• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

March 2023 heritage signature auction
5 5

450 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2023 at 5:37 PM, RICKYBOBBY said:

Pretty sure that was just the ask the sale pending I think meant they sent it to be auctioned

On 4/3/2023 at 6:45 AM, delekkerste said:

Except for that lot of nine, multiple museum-exhibited Terry strips, one of which even was a Dragon Lady example, which sold for a song! That very well may have been the bargain of the auction. I would have gone higher on that lot, but, I had my eye on one of the other Terry strips in today's sale. And lost that one too. :cry: 

Most of them were pretty mediocre strips from later years, but that lot was definitely hurt by being sold as a lot and being sold separately and before the other Terry strips.  Like you, I think bidders were trying to keep their powder dry for some of the very nice Terrys that were coming up.

On 4/2/2023 at 8:37 PM, RICKYBOBBY said:
On 4/2/2023 at 8:45 PM, Dirtcheap31 said:

Pretty sure that was just the ask the sale pending I think meant they sent it to be auctioned

Don't know if it changed hands via Comiclink in-between, but, it sold for $17.4K at Heritage in Feb. 2022 and re-sold for $18K today. I suspect from something I heard today that it did not change hands in-between, but, I'm not 100% sure. 

On 4/2/2023 at 7:27 PM, KirbyCollector said:

The big stats on the economy have shown us trending toward deflation for at least 3 months... the negative return flips in this auction are consistent with that, and a pretty big sign OA isn't as immune from the macro environment as some have thought

That’s possible i suppose.  I remember being wary of trying to flip any piece bought publicly in 18 months or less and in another public auction for at least 20 years. 
it was always such a huge risk to me to have the buying pool shrink by one bidder (the flipping consignor) and to provide the rest of that buying pool the knowledge of how much it just sold for, that’s especially true on higher end pieces. 
What I am saying is, that’s been a concern for as long as I’ve been collecting and auction results available to the public. The last 24 months have bucked that concern for sure. Lots of bidders seem to have ignored very recent sales figures. I don’t know if that’s a global economic downstream result or just return to where we’d been for so long already. 

On 4/1/2023 at 7:47 AM, tth2 said:

Conan #15 interior page with only a couple images of Conan (one really tiny) went for $21,800.

It appears that the rumors of the demise of BWS Conan pages have been greatly exaggerated.

On 4/1/2023 at 8:02 AM, delekkerste said:

Yeah, but (a) stunning half-splash page and (b) it's the climax of the much-loved Elric cross-over storyline

Conan #11 interior page with no action and no Conan went for $4320. 

Yeah, there's definitely some life in BWS Conan.

On 4/2/2023 at 6:45 PM, Dirtcheap31 said:

Not sure if understand what you are saying here. Only 2 ways I understand that comic link would show as a sale pending with a price.

a) it was sold at auction and the buyer did a check out

b) it was sold on the exchange and the buyer did a check out 

So I would guess that this piece sold for 29k at some point before today.

Edited by RICKYBOBBY

On 4/2/2023 at 6:17 PM, RICKYBOBBY said:

Not sure if understand what you are saying here. Only 2 ways I understand that comic link would show as a sale pending with a price.

a) it was sold at auction and the buyer did a check out

b) it was sold on the exchange and the buyer did a check out 

So I would guess that this piece sold for 29k at some point before today.

Yeah not sure but I would assume if it was sold it would say sold but either it’s value hasent changed in a year and actually has gone up a little I would take those return compared to all other assets since Feb of last year 

I took a spin through my tracked lots and saw more upsides than 'crack slips'

This was perhaps the one I was the most off base on:

Al Milgrom and Jim Mooney The Spectacular Spider-Man #75 Story Page | Lot #95337 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

This is a pretty cool scene but > $30k...

Mark

On 4/2/2023 at 5:26 PM, delekkerste said:

ARRRRGHHHHH

I had a Heritage Live proxy bid in for a lot I really wanted. But, given that I was going to be in front of my computer when the lot went off, I cancelled the proxy bid and was just going to bid manually. 

When the lot opened, Heritage Live wouldn't let me place a bid manually, saying that I had a proxy bid in place (which I no longer did!! :pullhair: ). The lot ended at a price below my cancelled proxy bid and it didn't let me bid further. :mad: 

Same thing happened a few lots further down. But, in this case, I was able to quickly open up another browser and that one let me manually place the winning Heritage Live bids. So, I had one browser showing me able to place a live bid while the other browser showed that I had a non-existent proxy bid in place that wouldn't let me bid. :frustrated: 

I had exactly the same problem several years back and alerted them to it.  They indicated they would get on it and fix the problem. Apparently they haven't

On 3/31/2023 at 9:12 PM, Xatari said:

Sure.  One of the hottest modern artists doing a variant cover of one of the hottest modern series. The crazy thing is there were no characters from Strange Academy on this cover.  I'd be curious to see what one of those variants brings to market today.  I know I sold one of the variants for close to this price two years ago, even as the series was just starting to build momentum.  Now it's much bigger.

Peach art is pretty and there are a lot of her fans out there, but I cannot see that cover ever making a profit when it gets resold (and it sure will get resold one of these days, when the owner moves on to other art he likes more). The new owner may have to let it grow into its value over a long period of time, I believe.

On 4/2/2023 at 8:27 PM, KirbyCollector said:

The big stats on the economy have shown us trending toward deflation for at least 3 months... the negative return flips in this auction are consistent with that, and a pretty big sign OA isn't as immune from the macro environment as some have thought

I agree with Vodou, but I don’t know his reasons. I see a lot of scared bankers who don’t understand that the Pandemic was a virtually unique economic experience and the economy is still righting itself from the shockwaves. So they are applying lessons from the wrong parts of the past. Right now, we are seeing a “flip” in which higher end jobs at bigger companies (like MS software engineers), are more vulnerable than lower end jobs at smaller companies. Bankers, who fall in that category, are now scared for themselves. We are also seeing residual inflation waves where costs went up but buyers are showing resistance to spending the money. I think OA prices have shown some weakness because of over-exuberant purchasing during the Pandemic, and over-pricing by dealers, has met its match. This ship is being righted to return to linear growth from pre-Pandemic days.

On 4/3/2023 at 7:16 AM, KirbyCollector said:

You do understand when inflation reduces, that is deflation? That is what is going on in housing and rents (among other areas) right now. 

I don’t think that is deflation. That is just a price drop in specific market segments. It also doesn’t account for the change in supply, such as, a lot of “luxury” apartments coming onto the market, chasing a smaller pool of renters who are being forced to return to jobs in the City. Overall, prices remain higher.

On 4/3/2023 at 12:27 PM, Michael Browning said:

Peach art is pretty and there are a lot of her fans out there, but I cannot see that cover ever making a profit when it gets resold (and it sure will get resold one of these days, when the owner moves on to other art he likes more). The new owner may have to let it grow into its value over a long period of time, I believe.

I'd imagine the new owner will hold onto it for a while after paying that much for it (or at least....they should!)

On 4/3/2023 at 1:08 AM, mtlevy1 said:

I took a spin through my tracked lots and saw more upsides than 'crack slips'

This was perhaps the one I was the most off base on:

Al Milgrom and Jim Mooney The Spectacular Spider-Man #75 Story Page | Lot #95337 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

This is a pretty cool scene but > $30k...

Mark

:whatthe::wavingwhiteflag:

On 4/2/2023 at 9:08 PM, tth2 said:

Conan #11 interior page with no action and no Conan went for $4320. 

Yeah, there's definitely some life in BWS Conan.

Alternatively, you can think of it as the bar for entry for a BWS Conan page is only $4320, which is pretty low for the market we're in. :fear: 

Besides, if you squint really hard, one of the guys on the page looks a lot like Conan. :insane: 

On 4/3/2023 at 8:23 PM, delekkerste said:

Alternatively, you can think of it as the bar for entry for a BWS Conan page is only $4320, which is pretty low for the market we're in. :fear:

Sounds like some kind of Zen koan: "Is a BWS Conan page without Conan really a BWS Conan page?"

On 4/3/2023 at 9:18 PM, Matches_Malone said:

Im always intrigued by Alan Moore's related material.  The David Lloyd V for Vendetta page and both Totleben's pages (Swamp Thing #50 & Miracleman #16) seemed to have finished at the lower end of the spectrum. 

You have a very different spectrum from me.  It wasn't that long ago that V pages were available for 4 figures.  I thought this price was very strong.