• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

March 2023 heritage signature auction
5 5

450 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2023 at 4:33 PM, Michael Browning said:

That exact statement is so true. The same could also be said about a lot of the other hate and doomsday prophecies in this hobby/community.

I’m not sure I would call all negative comments the same as doomsday prophesies. The idea that medium quality pieces won’t age well as the buyers age out is fairly represented in other areas. Consider furniture. Our grandparents probably loved old brown antique furniture, but its prices have dropped for at least 10 years. Only the high end has stayed up there, and I don’t know anyone who really cares about Duncan Phyfe no matter what it’s worth. Instead, in succession, hot furniture went from Art Deco, to Mid-century modern, to the newer 1970’s stuff now becoming more valuable (say, the last 6-7 years). You can see a similar trend with old cars. Hot cars might have gone, for example, from pre-war Packards and Caddies (Deusenbergs are always expensive), to 1950’s cruisers, to muscle cars (although, the old car market has held up better and is more varied than furniture). 

On 3/12/2023 at 5:47 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I’m not sure I would call all negative comments the same as doomsday prophesies. The idea that medium quality pieces won’t age well as the buyers age out is fairly represented in other areas. Consider furniture. Our grandparents probably loved old brown antique furniture, but its prices have dropped for at least 10 years. Only the high end has stayed up there, and I don’t know anyone who really cares about Duncan Phyfe no matter what it’s worth. Instead, in succession, hot furniture went from Art Deco, to Mid-century modern, to the newer 1970’s stuff now becoming more valuable (say, the last 6-7 years). You can see a similar trend with old cars. Hot cars might have gone, for example, from pre-war Packards and Caddies (Deusenbergs are always expensive), to 1950’s cruisers, to muscle cars (although, the old car market has held up better and is more varied than furniture). 

I'm not saying they're the same, I'm saying that Mitch's statement - not being able to afford art they want - is the cause of a lot of the hate and doomsday prophecies that many collectors spew. I read a lot of comments on social media about how people hope the bubble finally bursts and how evil dealers are for artificially inflating prices -- and how so many people are priced out of the hobby by the shill bidding that they say is going on.

So, I stand by what I said: Mitch's statement is accurate and the cause of a lot of the hate and doomsday prophecies that are said by many collectors.

On 3/12/2023 at 10:31 AM, Michael Browning said:

I, too, thought that the Superman 301 would have benefitted from being in a North American auction and was one of the biggest bargains of the entire auction.

There were a lot of strong prices.

He-Man art continues to climb higher and higher and, although it didn't set the world on fire, I see jumps in prices for He-Man art happening more and more.

The Mazzucchelli DD page sold a bit higher than I thought it would, but it shouldn't have surprised me at all, knowing how rare and in demand those pages are.

The Miller 300 DPS did very well at $62,500, showing there IS a very strong market for post-Dark Knight Miller art.

The Bingham/Layton Iron Man 132 page overachieved. It was a good page, but, man, I didn't think it was an $11,250 page.

I didn't think a Paul Gulacy Slash Maraud page would ever hit $375, but I was wrong.

The two Sal Buscema Nova pages went for twice what I thought they would.

There were also a few bargains.

Frazetta art sold cheap in this auction. I thought there were some very good Frazettas in this auction, but none really hit the numbers I thought they would.

I thought the Sienkiewicz Elektra Assassin pages sold very low.

Starlin art severely underperformed.

The Infantino Star Wars Annual page sold a bit lower than I figured it would. I was expecting a last-second burst of bids that would have put it over $5,000, but that didn't happen.

As a side note, I really wish I would have made a run for the Miller Daredevil cover and, after that, the Barks Uncle Scrooge page. I thought both of those would sell much higher and I didn't even throw my hat into the ring on either. Oh well.

I actually thought the price on the Miller DD cover was pretty strong, but I never see them come up for sale and can't really seem to keep up with latest prices and demand for DD covers. I remember seeing this one on a SDCC dealers wall maybe ten-ish years ago for something like 30-40k, and later regretting not making a move on it.

On 3/12/2023 at 12:02 PM, Michael Browning said:

I was just being a bit of a smart aleck, because there are naysayers who don’t believe Miller’s post-DKR art is in demand due to his drastic style change.

I think 300 is a masterpiece. And there are a couple of Sin City stories in particular that are as good as anything Miller has ever done, particularly The Hard Goodbye and That Yellow B-word .

Edited by stinkininkin

On 3/12/2023 at 11:42 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Some highlights of the International auction thus far:

- Miller DD 185 cover = 225K

- Romita Sr ASM 69 page (Spidey vs Kingpin, small art) = $144K

- Tezuka Astro Boy vintage 1961 Illo = $58K

- Rosa Uncle Scrooge 294 cover = $35K

- Dell’otto Joker 1 variant cover from 2021 = $23K !!!

- Garcia Lopez Superman 301 cover (supes vs Solomon Grundy = $15K.

IMHO, the Garcia Lopez represents the biggest bargain of the auction and I have absolutely no doubt it would have hit $40K if listed in the North American HA auction

The Spidey 69 romita page is a great action page but I thought would get around $100k only..... Prices remains strong for top quality material

On 3/12/2023 at 10:31 AM, Michael Browning said:

I, too, thought that the Superman 301 would have benefitted from being in a North American auction and was one of the biggest bargains of the entire auction.

There were a lot of strong prices.

He-Man art continues to climb higher and higher and, although it didn't set the world on fire, I see jumps in prices for He-Man art happening more and more.

The Mazzucchelli DD page sold a bit higher than I thought it would, but it shouldn't have surprised me at all, knowing how rare and in demand those pages are.

The Miller 300 DPS did very well at $62,500, showing there IS a very strong market for post-Dark Knight Miller art.

The Bingham/Layton Iron Man 132 page overachieved. It was a good page, but, man, I didn't think it was an $11,250 page.

I didn't think a Paul Gulacy Slash Maraud page would ever hit $375, but I was wrong.

The two Sal Buscema Nova pages went for twice what I thought they would.

There were also a few bargains.

Frazetta art sold cheap in this auction. I thought there were some very good Frazettas in this auction, but none really hit the numbers I thought they would.

I thought the Sienkiewicz Elektra Assassin pages sold very low.

Starlin art severely underperformed.

The Infantino Star Wars Annual page sold a bit lower than I figured it would. I was expecting a last-second burst of bids that would have put it over $5,000, but that didn't happen.

As a side note, I really wish I would have made a run for the Miller Daredevil cover and, after that, the Barks Uncle Scrooge page. I thought both of those would sell much higher and I didn't even throw my hat into the ring on either. Oh well.

There were 4 Sal B. Nova pages - the first 2 (from issue 3) went significantly lower than the final  2.(1 from 4 with Thor battle and 1 from 5 with the bullpen folk) - I imagine you are commenting on the latter pair?

Overall seemed like another healthy auction

On 3/13/2023 at 2:02 AM, mtlevy1 said:

There were 4 Sal B. Nova pages - the first 2 (from issue 3) went significantly lower than the final  2.(1 from 4 with Thor battle and 1 from 5 with the bullpen folk) - I imagine you are commenting on the latter pair?

Overall seemed like another healthy auction

Yes. I totally missed the first two.

On 3/11/2023 at 8:01 PM, Norrin_Radd said:

Wow, I liked that page too but figured it would sell for $5K+ so didn't bid on it (aside from my tracking bid) after spending too much on other stuff recently. 

A lot of the second and third tier stuff did not exactly shoot the lights out in this auction. 

Edited by delekkerste

On 3/12/2023 at 1:31 PM, Michael Browning said:

I think there is an overwhelmingly favorable view toward Miller's work throughout the '90s (Sin City and 300 in particular).

I think DKSA (2001) marks the point where opinions about Miller become more divided. 

On 3/12/2023 at 6:58 PM, stinkininkin said:

I actually thought the price on the Miller DD cover was pretty strong, but I never see them come up for sale and can't really seem to keep up with latest prices and demand for DD covers. I remember seeing this one on a SDCC dealers wall maybe ten-ish years ago for something like 30-40k, and later regretting not making a move on it.

The #185 was with the Donnellys at NYCC not that long ago (think it was probably somewhere in the 2016-19 range)? I think the price was either $130K or $180K; whatever it was, the consensus was that it was way high for the time. 

Apparently we are now at the point in history, though, where even third-tier Miller DD covers are $200K+. Not that any cover from the run is not cool, but, objectively, the #185 is likely to be in the bottom quarter or third of covers most people would choose if money was no object (YMMV of course). Personally, I'm happier owning great interiors from the run which I love more and without reservation.

The only two DD covers I regret passing on (i.e., the ones that were actually available for purchase over the past 10-15 years) are your #171 after seeing it in person and the #190 (as it sold really cheap and was really the only Elektra cover from the run that's been on the market during that timeframe; at the time I was kind of put off by the images being on separate boards, which doesn't bother me at all anymore). 

Edited by delekkerste

On 3/13/2023 at 1:26 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Just took a quick look at the HA March OA auction offerings and it seems like 15+ items were removed from the auction, including the Sandman #1 page.  Can someone else take a look and confirm?

If you click on the icon for the art section of the auction, it only shows the two sessions that are all art, which excludes the 20 pieces of art in the 1st floor session.

On the comic side there are some interesting returns to the market including the Tec 140 9.6 and Tec 114 9.8 that went for 400+ and 100+ IIRC.    Someone might take a good size loss there.