• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

March 2023 heritage signature auction
5 5

450 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2023 at 5:13 PM, vodou said:

That’s be the whitewash/propaganda version 🥳

I'm more than involved in the real whys of it all, it was just simpler to paste the screenshot without getting into the esoterics of HTM, the bond market, etc etc.

Good news is yay, the fed govt essentially said the hell with the FDIC limit, we'll cover your deposits by claiming "systemic risk" every time a bank mismanages risk and craters itself. The bad news? Banking is in worse shape than 2008, despite all the reforms, meaning the financial world is in even more dangerous shape than we thought.

NOTE TO CGC POLICE: Nothing about this is political. It is about BANKING, period. Thank you 

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 3/13/2023 at 5:50 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Good news is yay, the fed govt essentially said the hell with the FDIC limit, we'll cover your deposits by claiming "systemic risk" every time a bank mismanages risk and craters itself.

Its good for the depositors, but I'd also view it as good news if they just let these failures happen.    Its the unwillingness to take any short term pain that leads to these longer term failures.

Did the Romita panel page price make sense when compared to the splash that sold last year  (was it preferable to the splash, or was this just the current market)?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-romita-sr-and-jim-mooney-amazing-spider-man-88-splash-page-1-original-art-marvel-1970-/a/7283-91027.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

On 3/13/2023 at 11:41 PM, inovrmihd said:

Did the Romita panel page price make sense when compared to the splash that sold last year  (was it preferable to the splash, or was this just the current market)?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-romita-sr-and-jim-mooney-amazing-spider-man-88-splash-page-1-original-art-marvel-1970-/a/7283-91027.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

That splash went for $93,000 with bp I thought it should've gone higher. ASM 69 is a collector's favorite issue and the pages always do well. I must say this one surprised me at the final hammer. Never saw it getting that high. I prefer other pages from that book particularly the four panel Spidey Kingpin fight pages. Every page is unique and it's not so cut and dry what's more valuable. Used to be a pecking of highest value order left to right Cover, splash, interior panel pages. That doesn't hold as certainly as it once did.

On 3/14/2023 at 2:40 AM, delekkerste said:

The #185 was with the Donnellys at NYCC not that long ago (think it was probably somewhere in the 2016-19 range)? I think the price was either $130K or $180K; whatever it was, the consensus was that it was way high for the time. 

Apparently we are now at the point in history, though, where even third-tier Miller DD covers are $200K+. Not that any cover from the run is not cool, but, objectively, the #185 is likely to be in the bottom quarter or third of covers most people would choose if money was no object (YMMV of course). Personally, I'm happier owning great interiors from the run which I love more and without reservation.

The only two DD covers I regret passing on (i.e., the ones that were actually available for purchase over the past 10-15 years) are your #171 after seeing it in person and the #190 (as it sold really cheap and was really the only Elektra cover from the run that's been on the market during that timeframe; at the time I was kind of put off by the images being on separate boards, which doesn't bother me at all anymore). 

Gene, when did you see the DD 171 and 190 for sale and what were the ask prices? I love that DD 171 cover !

On 3/20/2023 at 6:14 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Gene, when did you see the DD 171 and 190 for sale and what were the ask prices? I love that DD 171 cover !

#171 was offered privately by its former owner a long time ago (don't remember when but pretty sure it's been more than a decade ago at this point) and ended up with its current owner on CAF. 

#190 was auctioned off at CLink a long time ago. It was at least 12 years ago, if not longer. 

On 3/20/2023 at 10:16 AM, delekkerste said:

#171 was offered privately by its former owner a long time ago (don't remember when but pretty sure it's been more than a decade ago at this point) and ended up with its current owner on CAF. 

#190 was auctioned off at CLink a long time ago. It was at least 12 years ago, if not longer. 

171 is such a great cover.

190 is cool but I think the two boards thing would bother you at least a bit sooner or later.   I know I'd wish it was one board every time I looked at it.

On 3/20/2023 at 11:43 AM, Bronty said:

190 is cool but I think the two boards thing would bother you at least a bit sooner or later.   I know I'd wish it was one board every time I looked at it.

Until you realize you can get acetate overlays made for each board with the art from the other board and end up with TWO covers instead of just one! :whatthe: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47exoepyrl7fb6j7v57b

On 3/20/2023 at 12:06 PM, delekkerste said:

Until you realize you can get acetate overlays made for each board with the art from the other board and end up with TWO covers instead of just one! :whatthe: 

well shyt let's all collect mechanical reproductions of everything then!    Dibs on the AF15 cover!

Edited by Bronty

On 3/21/2023 at 4:05 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

So DD 190 2011, reserve was $75k . That would have been considered very high back then correct?

IIRC, it was considered high as the separate boards were a bit of a turn off, but, nowadays I think it would be a lot less of an issue. If it was all on one board, I don't think $75K would have been considered too high for one of the very few covers featuring Elektra (remember, this auction was 18 months after the landmark DD #188 cover sale at Heritage, which was the watershed moment that showed that even non-keys from major runs could be 6-figure pieces). 

I feel like there might have been an opportunity to make a deal for this one at a lower price after it went RNM at auction, but, it's been too long for me to remember at this point. I'd be surprised if this one didn't end up changing hands back then vs. the consignor just keeping it all this time; I don't remember if it ever turned up on CAF though. Whatever the case, there are many Miller DD covers that I could take or leave, but, this one I would put in the take category. 

Edited by delekkerste

On 3/21/2023 at 4:05 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

So DD 190 2011, reserve was $75k . That would have been considered very high back then correct?

It was very high.  
several Miller DD covers sold 1-2 years earlier for $27K-$33K.  The exception being the 188 cover, which went for $101K.

having said that, the $101K was superior to the other covers that sold during that time

On 3/21/2023 at 9:13 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

It was very high.  
several Miller DD covers sold 1-2 years earlier for $27K-$33K.  The exception being the 188 cover, which went for $101K.

having said that, the $101K was superior to the other covers that sold during that time

The #190 cover image is also superior to the other covers that sold during that time. If it was priced at $27-33K there would have been a line around the block to buy it, two boards or not.

Edited by delekkerste

On 3/21/2023 at 10:06 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

That's stating the obvious.

If there was something in your response that suggested the #190 cover should be valued above that comp range, I guess I missed it: :sorry: 

image.thumb.png.53b60b871e7b43820c56012bb15125a2.png

Edited by delekkerste

On 3/21/2023 at 10:23 AM, delekkerste said:

If there was something in your response that suggested the #190 cover should be valued above that comp range, I guess I missed it: :sorry: 

image.thumb.png.53b60b871e7b43820c56012bb15125a2.png

In comparison to the other covers that sold during that time for $27K-$33K, $75K was very high.  

However, you then went on to say that if it was priced in that same range it would have a line around the block of buyer.  Well, duh.  No-brainer.