• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

March 2023 heritage signature auction
5 5

450 posts in this topic

On 3/8/2023 at 9:00 PM, grapeape said:

That's what I'm afraid of.

Frankly, I am a little surprised that the 2 page spread from Books of Magic has hit $1,020 with BP already (although, I expect it to go for a good deal more). I think it’s a great looking piece, but the subject matter is pretty narrow (Phantom Stranger and Tim Hunter), even if it comes from a special run of books. Over the years, I have seen a number of really nice pieces not do too well if the subject matter isn’t popular. Except for the last one where one of these pieces showed up and went for over 10K, they mostly have gone from a low end of about $1,300 to a framed pair at $7,500 (not in auction).

On 3/11/2023 at 8:28 PM, tth2 said:

So looking at the results of the International auction so far, where is the burst bubble that we were promised? 

I didn’t watch much. How were prices ? They have 25% bp vs 20% domestic. 

On 3/12/2023 at 12:28 PM, tth2 said:

So looking at the results of the International auction so far, where is the burst bubble that we were promised? 

OA auction prices realised remain strong. The prices of key comics have been falling over the last two heritage signature auctions

Some highlights of the International auction thus far:

- Miller DD 185 cover = 225K

- Romita Sr ASM 69 page (Spidey vs Kingpin, small art) = $144K

- Tezuka Astro Boy vintage 1961 Illo = $58K

- Rosa Uncle Scrooge 294 cover = $35K

- Dell’otto Joker 1 variant cover from 2021 = $23K !!!

- Garcia Lopez Superman 301 cover (supes vs Solomon Grundy = $15K.

IMHO, the Garcia Lopez represents the biggest bargain of the auction and I have absolutely no doubt it would have hit $40K if listed in the North American HA auction

On 3/12/2023 at 8:42 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Some highlights of the International auction thus far:

- Miller DD 185 cover = 225K

- Romita Sr ASM 69 page (Spidey vs Kingpin, small art) = $144K

- Tezuka Astro Boy vintage 1961 Illo = $58K

- Rosa Uncle Scrooge 294 cover = $35K

- Dell’otto Joker 1 variant cover from 2021 = $23K !!!

- Garcia Lopez Superman 301 cover (supes vs Solomon Grundy = $15K.

IMHO, the Garcia Lopez represents the biggest bargain of the auction and I have absolutely no doubt it would have hit $40K if listed in the North American HA auction

I, too, thought that the Superman 301 would have benefitted from being in a North American auction and was one of the biggest bargains of the entire auction.

There were a lot of strong prices.

He-Man art continues to climb higher and higher and, although it didn't set the world on fire, I see jumps in prices for He-Man art happening more and more.

The Mazzucchelli DD page sold a bit higher than I thought it would, but it shouldn't have surprised me at all, knowing how rare and in demand those pages are.

The Miller 300 DPS did very well at $62,500, showing there IS a very strong market for post-Dark Knight Miller art.

The Bingham/Layton Iron Man 132 page overachieved. It was a good page, but, man, I didn't think it was an $11,250 page.

I didn't think a Paul Gulacy Slash Maraud page would ever hit $375, but I was wrong.

The two Sal Buscema Nova pages went for twice what I thought they would.

There were also a few bargains.

Frazetta art sold cheap in this auction. I thought there were some very good Frazettas in this auction, but none really hit the numbers I thought they would.

I thought the Sienkiewicz Elektra Assassin pages sold very low.

Starlin art severely underperformed.

The Infantino Star Wars Annual page sold a bit lower than I figured it would. I was expecting a last-second burst of bids that would have put it over $5,000, but that didn't happen.

As a side note, I really wish I would have made a run for the Miller Daredevil cover and, after that, the Barks Uncle Scrooge page. I thought both of those would sell much higher and I didn't even throw my hat into the ring on either. Oh well.