• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

March 2023 heritage signature auction
5 5

450 posts in this topic

A question to ponder:

Could the lackluster performance of the superhero movies perhaps start to have an effect on investor types’ diminishing interest comic book art?

recent under-performers:

Shazam! Fury of the Gods

Antman: Quantumania

Black Adam

Wakanda Forever

Morbius

Wonder Woman 2

Shazam! Fury of the Gods - dopey only works once

Antman: Quantumania - tired of seeing movies that set up other movies

Black Adam - a whole film with Dwayne doing his Blue Steel face? No

Wakanda Forever - female BP? No, no, no

Morbius - no one asked for this

Wonder Woman 2 - even a gorgeous Gal Gadot can't overcome a bad plot + depowered WW + awful CGI Cheetah

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 3/31/2023 at 4:42 AM, Carlo M said:

but to say that the crash is here based on these example is a bit hasty, IMHO

I'm just trying to provide moral support for Board pundit Delekkerste.

Personally, I don't really believe there has been or will be a crash.

On 3/30/2023 at 6:10 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Shazam! Fury of the Gods - dopey only works once

Antman: Quantumania - tired of seeing movies that set up other movies

Black Adam - a whole film with Dwayne doing his Blue Steel face? No

Wakanda Forever - female BP? No, no, no

Morbius - no one asked for this

Wonder Woman 2 - even a gorgeous Gal Gadot can't overcome a bad plot + depowered WW + awful CGI Cheetah

The latest round of superhero movies has been disappointing

Shazam, after the 1st one, I couldn't torture myself to watch the 2nd one

Antman - 1st one so-so, 2nd one terrible, 3rd one I won't even watch it on Disney plus

Black Adam - I couldn't get past the trailers

Wakanda Forever - started to watch it but wow, what a stinker

Morbius - had potential but some of the -script was just aweful

Wonder Woman 2 Electric Boogaloo - wow, what a complete mess.  Never made it through the entire movie

On 3/30/2023 at 8:24 PM, tth2 said:

I'm just trying to provide moral support for Board pundit Delekkerste.

Personally, I don't really believe there has been or will be a crash.

I agree, no “crash”. But, there is likely to be some slippage for specific categories and/or artists and/or quality levels as collectors age out. The unknowns are where/when/how much. For example, how will DeZuniga’s Jonah Hex be doing in 10 years? Very good work, not likely too popular in the future. 

On 3/31/2023 at 7:02 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I agree, no “crash”. But, there is likely to be some slippage for specific categories and/or artists and/or quality levels as collectors age out. The unknowns are where/when/how much. For example, how will DeZuniga’s Jonah Hex be doing in 10 years? Very good work, not likely too popular in the future. 

Well, ya never know.

I mean, the last issue of Cerebus was published 19 years ago, yet prices for Cerebus OA has never been higher!  That’s pretty impressive for an obscure character without any movie or tv show propping up interest in the character.

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 3/30/2023 at 8:59 PM, gumbydarnit said:

The first Spider-Verse was really fun and visually exciting, I’m looking forward to the follow up, I hope it delivers.

OPPS I forgot, another recent Marvel flop - Eternals 

Eternals had to be one of the worst every.  Why do they think the following -script will always work

Something bad happens

Heroes agree to reconcile their differences to save the world

Heroes do something stupid

Heroes struggle with interpersonal challenges (i.e. mental illness)

Heroes do some more stupid stuff

World saved and heroes all best buddies

On 3/31/2023 at 8:58 AM, batman_fan said:

Eternals had to be one of the worst every.  Why do they think the following --script will always work

Something bad happens

Heroes agree to reconcile their differences to save the world

Heroes do something stupid

Heroes struggle with interpersonal challenges (i.e. mental illness)

Heroes do some more stupid stuff

World saved and heroes all best buddies

This is why Winter Soldier was so great... had none of that nonsense

On 3/31/2023 at 7:11 AM, KirbyCollector said:

This is why Winter Soldier was so great... had none of that nonsense

I thought the 1st Ironman was great - great casting and the story holding true to the comics was great

1st Captain America was great, really liked the story.  The super tank was cool, flying wing was awesome

Winter soldier was great.  Story was good.

1st Avengers was great.

I liked the 1st Black Panther, huge fan of the character so seeing him on the big screen was great.  Casting was good.  The story had its cringe parts but not bad

I don't think the quality of the movies (generic term for all of the TV/movies/etc.) has much of an impact on prices, because most of the run up happens before the release.  Then prices retract after the movie regardless of whether or not it's good.  

However, the number of movies, and the fact that many are now sequels probably affects the run-up.  Nobody is getting excited about FF52 because of Wakanda Forever, that happened already with Black Panther, most other MCU/DCU movies are sequels at this point.  Not to mention the number of movies is down because of Covid.  Without those speculative run-ups, the amount of spending money in the hands of flippers is lower, and that seems to trickle over to other prices.  

On 3/31/2023 at 11:17 AM, buttock said:

I don't think the quality of the movies (generic term for all of the TV/movies/etc.) has much of an impact on prices, because most of the run up happens before the release.  Then prices retract after the movie regardless of whether or not it's good.  

However, the number of movies, and the fact that many are now sequels probably affects the run-up.  Nobody is getting excited about FF52 because of Wakanda Forever, that happened already with Black Panther, most other MCU/DCU movies are sequels at this point.  Not to mention the number of movies is down because of Covid.  Without those speculative run-ups, the amount of spending money in the hands of flippers is lower, and that seems to trickle over to other prices.  

nothing lasts forever, it was a good 20 year run of marvel movies and its impressive they stayed this big this long.

On 3/31/2023 at 10:17 AM, buttock said:

I don't really think there is that much correlation between them.  I could be wrong, but the spike in prices really started way after the advent of the MCU in movies.  It may be keeping the pop culture aspect front and center, though.  However, the number of projects on streaming that have their basis in graphic novels or comic book series may also be putting more focus on the art pages.

As an aside, I think the MCU will come back, we are basically just in the set up mode for the next story arc.  Also, I think I might be one of the few people that liked Eternals, although it had no relationship other than names with the comic book series.

On 3/31/2023 at 10:00 AM, Bronty said:

nothing lasts forever, it was a good 20 year run of marvel movies and its impressive they stayed this big this long.

Good point, that 20 year cycle is probably more than we should have expected.