• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YouTuber kicked out of 2 Comic Shops, Leaves Negative Reviews
1 1

165 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2023 at 4:59 PM, bronze_rules said:

My thought if the dealer is a good one, his positive reviews should overwhelm the bad one. And that dealer is showing snark in his answer. Sounds more like the rude type of dealer to me.   BTW, I'm not defending the camera kid either, that seems to be typical of this generation. I think a really good dealer shouldn't really dramatically react. Just like kids who try to push around police with their cameras. A better cop just ignores them and lets them blather, IMO.

In regards to the dealer being snarky, It's been my experience that not all business owners are going to be 'camera savvy' or comfortable being filmed, especially when some numbnut comes in off the street unannounced. I'm sure it's all part of the "gotcha!" youtubing style or whatever inane concept people call it - but if the goal is to create a video that A) highlight comic book shops and B) showcases the hobby through your eyes - Mr. Strap On pretty much failed. On the other hand, if he wants to portray himself as a douchenozzle, he likely succeeded.

It put the owner on the spot without any forewarning. I think that is wrong and unprofessional. And to make him an even bigger douchenozzle, he tries to disparage him on review sites - which can directly affect his business.

On 2/16/2023 at 10:47 AM, F For Fake said:

Not just that, but don't you have to have some sort of consent form signed before you can film someone and upload it? Maybe things are different in the Youtube era, I dunno, but it seems like you should.

It may vary in what is legal from state to state, but I suspect this guy is nevertheless a civil suit waiting to happen.  Businesses fall into a sort of vague semi-public arena... it's not the same as filming someone on a public sidewalk.  The owner being put on youtube without permission aside, what about other customers walking about?  Do they not have a right not to find themselves splashed across a nationally distributed video?  Is your viedo-taping them going to make them hurry out of my shop?  Children?  Can you just waltz in and film them without permission?  Can you go into a bar and film someone drunk and then put it on youtube?  I actually don't know.  Maybe you can't be arrested, but I bet you can still be sued.

On 2/16/2023 at 11:07 AM, Bookery said:

It may vary in what is legal from state to state, but I suspect this guy is nevertheless a civil suit waiting to happen.  Businesses fall into a sort of vague semi-public arena... it's not the same as filming someone on a public sidewalk.  The owner being put on youtube without permission aside, what about other customers walking about?  Do they not have a right not to find themselves splashed across a nationally distributed video?  Is your viedo-taping them going to make them hurry out of my shop?  Children?  Can you just waltz in and film them without permission?  Can you go into a bar and film someone drunk and then put it on youtube?  I actually don't know.  Maybe you can't be arrested, but I bet you can still be sued.

I believe (at least in my state) you have to post “No Filming” on your business property - otherwise it’s considered a public area. I would also imagine that if you violate this (and it's posted) and are asked to leave - and don't, you can be cited for trespassing.

You can probably also be asked - even if it's not posted - to stop filming. If a person makes a stink about that, the police can be called to remove them for disrupting the business. You can ask anyone to leave who is affecting other customers or disrupting the business - the downside is that now we have review sites where people can retaliate for being ejected from a place for being an azzclown. I have much experience in this part of asking people to leave our place of business.

I've learned the hard way that it all kinda comes down to how big of a hassle you want it to be.

Edited by Dr. Balls

I peeped the reviews of the place and the owner's response to any negative reviews are really out there. He sounds......super intense and aggressive. A little like he has issues with emotional regulation....The youtuber was 100% wrong in trying to sell in the shop, but looking at the owner's response to multiple people who say his practices make them uncomfortable lead me to believe that he was probably also acting like a jerk that day. 

On 2/16/2023 at 7:57 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Is this a new video?  I’m not seeing it 

It's like a commentary under the videos on his YouTube page- but it'd be great if he did a video on this. That I would watch...

On 2/16/2023 at 7:32 PM, Raze said:

44190585-B32A-4821-9E4D-38880FFAC37D.png

Holy s**t, which member here is "West coast border hound"

I was a little kid in the 80s', that makes me a boomer suddenly! Can't make it up.

I apologize of ever posting this thread if it's causing feuds and fiefdoms suddenly; my intention was purely for discussion purposes. Unless you're West Coast Border-dude, in which case I'm terribly offended

Worth noting how excited the videographer is that there's a negative thread about him. That says everything about his pathology. Won't learn anything about considering other viewpoints.

wait what.PNG

On 2/16/2023 at 11:50 PM, D2 said:

Why is someone video taping themselves in a comic shop?

Is this what we are now? Is this our society?

Sad and pathetic

This is a growing component of collectors- the YouTube spec bros, as someone once called them and I thought it fitting.

There are some good collectors who have programming which can inform and so forth- I'm thinking of Very Gary- but it's mostly a lot of guys who saw the success of VG and a few others and now want to use the format as a way to promote their egos.

On 2/17/2023 at 4:50 AM, D2 said:

Why is someone video taping themselves in a comic shop?

Is this what we are now? Is this our society?

Sad and pathetic

Yes it is, and it's been like that for some time now, the number of people who set up cameras on tripods in the gym I go to has gotten so far out of hand, the owner had to put up no filming signs, so yes, sad and pathetic is correct.