• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Anybody Trade High End Art in 2023?
4 4

38 posts in this topic

For 30 years I've built a nice little collection on the back of trading.  And before this gets taken out of context, I mean 'fair' trading.  With well over 50 or so trades, only one was sour, and I 'undid' that one.  Good karma and all that.

Short version is, I'm looking for a Twice Up Marvel Splash, Full Page, Kirby pencils (not layouts).  What I am looking to trade?  Other Kirby Art, A+ type stuff (including a bronze Marvel Splash).  Good stuff.

Here are the responses from three Dealers when approached w the idea - keep in mind they had not seen or asked what I had in trade, they only knew what I was inquiring about.

1) "I'll trade but it has to be WAY in my favor.  WAY in my favor"

2) "I'll trade but I can't pay you market price, I need room to make some money"

3) "If I trade you art, I need to raise the value of my art before we begin to cover myself"

Good lord. 

If there is anyone out there left who would like to discuss a trade for your 2X Marvel Kirby Splash page for my 'other' Kirby (trade enough so we are both satisfied)

If so - hit me up via PM here - I get concentration - you get diversification (sell one of the two or three and keep the others etc) 

Lastly, for those about to ask, sorry but I am very private and won't be posting anything anyone emails me to look at, or what I have in return.

Just wanted to step out of the shadows for a moment to vent some frustration and make a general appeal to you guys

LMK 

Mess

On 2/18/2023 at 8:37 AM, Twanj said:

I hear you, but don't be mad they're being honest.

Like we see in the flip thread, normal dealers are 2-3x. And some items end up being 10x.

Not that I like it, I just think these threads keep people informed.

Many of the dealers are honest guys and are being honest when they tell collectors they can only give a percentage of the actual value of the art.

On 2/18/2023 at 12:35 AM, Messier3499 said:

For 30 years I've built a nice little collection on the back of trading.  And before this gets taken out of context, I mean 'fair' trading.  With well over 50 or so trades, only one was sour, and I 'undid' that one.  Good karma and all that.

Short version is, I'm looking for a Twice Up Marvel Splash, Full Page, Kirby pencils (not layouts).  What I am looking to trade?  Other Kirby Art, A+ type stuff (including a bronze Marvel Splash).  Good stuff.

Here are the responses from three Dealers when approached w the idea - keep in mind they had not seen or asked what I had in trade, they only knew what I was inquiring about.

1) "I'll trade but it has to be WAY in my favor.  WAY in my favor"

2) "I'll trade but I can't pay you market price, I need room to make some money"

3) "If I trade you art, I need to raise the value of my art before we begin to cover myself"

Good lord. 

If there is anyone out there left who would like to discuss a trade for your 2X Marvel Kirby Splash page for my 'other' Kirby (trade enough so we are both satisfied)

If so - hit me up via PM here - I get concentration - you get diversification (sell one of the two or three and keep the others etc) 

Lastly, for those about to ask, sorry but I am very private and won't be posting anything anyone emails me to look at, or what I have in return.

Just wanted to step out of the shadows for a moment to vent some frustration and make a general appeal to you guys

LMK 

Mess

Well, unless you actually post the art here that you're looking to trade, it's difficult to say if what you're looking to offer is worthwhile.  (shrug)  And, yeah, I get that you like your privacy but if you want some informed opinions you need to bite the bullet and show what you got.  2c

No dealer I know of is going to trade you like for like.  That might work with other collectors, but dealers work on profit and your proposal needs to be worth pursuing . . . in their favor.

Edited by The Voord

Weighing in as someone who could likely never afford the Kirby market but understands the distinctions between those calling themselves dealers and collectors.

Collectors are generally people looking to collect what they "want". If you and another collector have pieces each of you want, you are likely to make a fair swap provided the value of the pieces isn't ridiculously one sided.

Dealers, however, are generally in it for the money. So as many others have stated, expecting an equal swap with them is probably not realistic. You will always have to offer more. 

This info applies to lots of hobbies, not just ours.

On 2/18/2023 at 10:39 PM, Fischb1 said:

I'm surprised no one's made the obvious comment yet.

It's a given in any collectible market that 4 quarters are worth less than a dollar bill. (It's the same reason that you have to give up so many pieces to get a mega-star in sports.) It's relatively easy to find a quarter-piece in the wild (or at auction) but a top piece? A "dollar bill piece" is much harder to obtain.

No collector I know would give up a primo top piece for it's "equal value" in a lot of smaller pieces. The same way you wouldn't trade your Kirbys for 50 Isherwoods. 

I think your expectation is unrealistic. 

You make a valid point that is 100% accurate, but I must say I think Isherwood is underrated haha.

On 2/19/2023 at 1:39 AM, Fischb1 said:

I'm surprised no one's made the obvious comment yet.

It's a given in any collectible market that 4 quarters are worth less than a dollar bill. (It's the same reason that you have to give up so many pieces to get a mega-star in sports.) It's relatively easy to find a quarter-piece in the wild (or at auction) but a top piece? A "dollar bill piece" is much harder to obtain.

No collector I know would give up a primo top piece for it's "equal value" in a lot of smaller pieces. The same way you wouldn't trade your Kirbys for 50 Isherwoods. 

I think your expectation is unrealistic. 

What is realistic, though, is that, if the OP has been around for 30 years, he would already know this. I cannot imagine that he has been able to make straight-up trades to build this great collection of original art he’s saying he has now without giving up more on his end in these trades — or burning other collectors. It just ain’t possible, and we all know that.

I would sure love to see what he has, but I don’t believe that will happen because he’s been silent since he made this post.