• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YOUR first comic - do you still have it? Remember it?
1 1

74 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2023 at 4:32 AM, Sigur Ros said:

I don't have the first one I owned (mom bought me lots of Richie Rich, etc. when I was a kid).  But.. I have the first one I bought when I started collecting.  Off the spinner rack at the local party store. Which is why it's in such bad shape. 

Screenshot_20230301_065923_Instagram.thumb.jpg.de80475f4699511175a7583e8d389937.jpg

Bad shape? :roflmao:My comics were read to bits by my brothers and sisters as well as all the kids in the neighborhood…

I'd read some comics earlier, but my first as an official collector came during the summer of 1989.

It was my first time away from home for 6 weeks of summer camp, during which I was introduced the X-Men (via passed along copies of the Classic X-men reprints of the Dark Phoenix saga and the X-Men roleplaying game) and had to read the Batman movie novelization to tide me over until camp ended and I could actually see the film.

I went to my LCS - to see Marvel's Atlantis Attacks annuals dominating the new issues, and the recent Batman keys highlighted along the walls (Death in the Family, The Cult, Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke).

My dad said I could choose any single issue from the stands, and I picked up...a Liefeld book.

What If 7.webp

On 3/1/2023 at 7:42 AM, marvelmaniac said:

The 1st Marvel comic I bought new would be ASM 21. Unfortunately I no longer have the original bought in 65, we had to move in 69 and I had to leave all of my books behind.

Amazing Spider-Man - 21   VG- 3.5.JPG

My first Marvel was ASM #3. Saw it at the drug store and was hooked on Marvels from that time on. 

Pretty sure my first comic was a Battlestar Galactica comic my mom got me one day when I was home sick from school in probably 1980 (I was all-in on the tv show at 7 years old). I recall my first back issue comic I bought at a comic book store was G.I. Joe #1 for $5 in 1983 - I had moved to Denver from Montana and had never even heard of a store that only sold comic books. I have neither of those.

Definitely don't remember my first comic.  Fairly certain it would have been a Harvey, because I know I read plenty of Richie Rich, Casper, Hot Stuff, etc.  But none of those survived my transition to adolescence.  

I've posted before on the book that officially gave me the collector bug - which happened in 1980 - but your post inspired me to go look back through all my comics just to see what, in fact, is the oldest surviving comic from my youth.  

Apparently, it's this one:

IMG_0910.thumb.JPG.372895e5a648c338355a8a10a4e5c2b1.JPG

Which is from 1973.  So obscure I can't even find it in the MyComicShop database.  No idea why this one is still here when so many other (better) books went by the wayside. 

Additional curiosity for me, what was my very oldest Marvel/DC book.  That turns out to be this one:

IMG_0911.thumb.JPG.dcafb2b6439201c04a4e2ca45ab85614.JPG

From 1974.  

(shrug)

Don't have any of the comics I owned as a child in the 1980s' but the earliest comics I had were the Mantlo/Buscema Hulks, where Nightmare is leading the Hulk into insanity. I vividly remember how surreal and crazy those scenes were, Sal Buscema did some very inventive Ditko-esque stuff during those sequences, of course I didn't know they were Ditko-esque but I remember them all the same. These would have been the #290s', before the Hulk is sent to the Crossroads.

Most likely my first comics were of the Casper/Bugs Bunny/Richie Rich type and those are long gone.  I have an early Superman #275 that is beat to snot from when I was about 8. lol I certainly read that often. I'll try and dig it out.

It was Marvel Mystery #92 which I read endlessly in Miss Shirley's comic stand at the local "flea market" it was beat up when I eventually bought it,,,and I lost the cover completely sometime later,,,,,, and the FF issue with the Overmind,,,,,,was it 108? I found it at a hospital waiting room when my grandfather was ill,,,,,, I have both books,,,but the Marvel Mystery is a CGC 5.0 that I bought years ago,,,, the FF is still in my collection.

Interesting to see so many responses with Harvey Comics' Richie Rich on them.

One of those single monthly issues from late '78, maybe early '79 is surely the first comic I ever bought with my own money from the Hudson Street Snappy-Mart in Silver City, NM, when I was around 8 years old.

The "Poor Little Rich Kid" had so many different titles on the rack at that time, though, I doubt I could pick the actual issue I bought out of a lineup. 

Not too long after, I was given some of those '70's DC Treasuries (Superman, MR. Tracy, JSA, Captain Marvel) and reading those over and over along with the increasing popularity in the early 80's of Spider-Man and the X-Men all culminating in "Secret Wars" (comics I could read for free at the Safeway Supermarket) made me a lifelong fan of superhero comics,

I also remember our family having a copy of the Marvel Star Wars Treasury in 1977/78 and I actually fashioned a comic book out of the daily newspaper Spider-Man strip starting with his origin that I think had kicked the strip off. I'd asked the neighbors for a couple of months of the Daily Breeze newspapers (Lawndale, CA) they had stacked on their front porch. I wanted the Star Wars ads from the movie sections when I asked, but I ended up clipping out all of Spidey strips from them and pasting them in order into a scrapbook. Those would probably be the first comics I "owned", around age 6, but I definitely didn't buy either one of those.  

Great stories, fellas, keep 'em coming! 

Update!  I checked and this book (not technically a comic book, but still) is also from 1974

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcStMgfx6SlhUiuN87VvRMvH-p3slqbkFVK9YXCko7z74YpsWQGTh_g0e7ktaLd2n5omKIV7ItO70T3Ns82ypmRSChBcZkEjZqcHIr3cPpulXk7t6qejc14V3w&usqp=CAE

Now, mind you, this is not my copy.  My copy no longer has a cover I read it so much.  But the point is, I've still got it, and this might count as my oldest Marvel/DC book.