• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What book has tanked the hardest?
2 2

99 posts in this topic

On 3/11/2023 at 7:33 PM, D84 said:

With the direction Marvel movies are going, there will be much, much worse to come.

As much as I love Moon Knight and I think the MCU has done a fine job with him, I hope enough people disagree with me that Werewolf by Night 32 keeps losing value! I have my 7.5 that can probably press to an 8.5, but I wouldn't mind upgrading into a 9.2 or a 9.4...

I used to own a 9.4 but I sold it for $1300 to MyComicShop just as the MCU was taking off, but before Moon Knight had been rumored as an eventual MCU property. 

On 3/11/2023 at 10:36 PM, Gaard said:

A while back, Subby was hot. Not so much anymore.

He needs to keep on not being hot so I can snag an FF #4...

I don't mind the MCU version of the Atlanteans--they couldn't really copy Aquaman after all--but I wish Tenoch Huerta would bulk up and get some more muscle definition. In some shots the guy looks like he has love handles.

On 3/11/2023 at 4:28 PM, Northwest said:

She Hulk 1 has also had a steep post-show correction and still declining

Screenshot_20230311-162721.png

And yet this sale happened on Heritage yesterday.  

89A78753-B951-4D7C-A77C-60079EFDF4B2.thumb.jpeg.7b26dd17cdb2ede220262f5f1162a928.jpeg

On 3/12/2023 at 5:25 AM, DC# said:

And yet this sale happened on Heritage yesterday.  

89A78753-B951-4D7C-A77C-60079EFDF4B2.thumb.jpeg.7b26dd17cdb2ede220262f5f1162a928.jpeg

One sold on Heritage on 2 20/23 for 408. I count nearly 30 sales in 2023 between 350 - 500. The sale you cited is an outlier, and suggests something else may be artificially resulting in the 1k sale

Screenshot_20230312-052918.png

Edited by Northwest

On 3/12/2023 at 5:34 AM, Northwest said:

One sold on Heritage on 2 20/23 for 408. I count nearly 30 sales in 2023 between 350 - 500. The sale you cited is an outlier, and suggests something else may be artificially resulting in the 1k sale

Screenshot_20230312-052918.png

No doubt an outlier…..for 6 months sales have been in the 400-500 range in direct editions.    Newsstands are a bit higher which always make me think bidders were looking at wrong comps 

082834E1-B11F-4C8D-885E-D28CA6D78179.thumb.jpeg.1fc268a3075bbed6f57614853e7e56d0.jpeg

On 3/12/2023 at 3:25 AM, MAR1979 said:

Wish I could dig up the old post of mine from 2021 that mentioned in 1-2 years it would be under $500. Now no reason to think that next year at this time it could be $350 or less in CGC 9.8 with WP

Worth repeating:

During the pandemic bubble, Investors/Flippers/Speculators were buying books like this [Eternals 1] and selling them for a profit.  Nearly every Non-DC book was viewed as a sure thing.  So-Called Online "influencers" were all downplaying that books could EVER go down.  Skilled Comic book market naysayers were scoffed at because times were good.  There was no such thing as overpaying for a book because prices rose and there was no end in sight. How could the sky be falling when everything was rising in value? ENTER THE BEAR!

The scoffing included many at these CGC forums.  To all those that scoffed, I TOLD YOU SO!

I am one of those scorned Comic book market naysayers. Mark my words: it started with moderns but in time it will eat through bronze, then silver and lastly reaches gold.

Ps I heard there will be an bank run tomorrow?

On 3/12/2023 at 10:01 AM, Northwest said:

Hyperbole aside, the supply side scarcity does insulate GA from other eras. Even in lower demand cycles, golden age has held up reasonably well.

Still, GA has seen a big run up in a lot of genres in the last few years, and even as some genres continued to climb, others that had an earlier bump slid a bit. Teen humor titles, even with sold GGA art covers, generally sell for about half their peak prices from 3 or 4 years ago. Except for the high demand classic covers and truly scarce books, I'd say the market has largely plateaued after huge gains from 2020 to 2022, with some slight softening for a lot of post-war books with no distinction in content or cover. Overall the market is still solid, and still comparatively hot in some areas like PCH and WW2 covers, but the days of automatically asking a higher price than the last sale if it was more than a few months old are past. There are some still some auction surprises, notably from Heritage, but increasingly they feel more like outliers than new benchmarks. 

The major keys are their own thing. Out of range for most collectors even in low grade, they've seen a huge jump in the last few years, but as the marquee books set new records, the pricey keys with less awareness outside the GA market, like All-Star #8 or More Fun #73, seem to be off their peak, though in those two cases lack of a cover appearance by the debut characters may be a factor. 

I saw last year a dealer had a run of slabbed McFarlane. I was trying to buy keys instead of runs, I'm a bit disheartened now after the hooplah of the signing. Con in June, but was silently hoping for the same dealer. One of those wait and see things, but we all know what that "meant" when our parents said it. Do or do not with a higher power there is no try!

On 3/11/2023 at 6:13 PM, Beige said:

Revival #1

Y-The Last Man #1

Sixth Gun #1

Invincible Man #1 is still solid (mine was sold in a long time).  I still have Sixth Gun #1 FCBD CGC 9.8 and #1 CGC 9.8.  Still hope for the second chance for the movie.  Bone #1 is still strong in sales despite the movie right was dropped 3 times (Nickelodeon, Warner and Netflix)!  Those Modern comic books are unpredictible. I am still trying to clean modern books out of my collection.

On 3/12/2023 at 11:29 AM, rjpb said:

Except for the high demand classic covers and truly scarce books, I'd say the market has largely plateaued after huge gains from 2020 to 2022, with some slight softening for a lot of post-war books with no distinction in content or cover. Overall the market is still solid, and still comparatively hot in some areas like PCH and WW2 covers, but the days of automatically asking a higher price than the last sale if it was more than a few months old are past.

Fair points and I largely agree. My comment was relative to BA/CA/MA markets, GA has provided selective collectors with more favorable market conditions. The common factor is demand relative to supply; genres such as western and cartoon (outside of early Disney and Archie) also have a demand side issue. For higher tier keys, the potential buyer pool is more limited, which often leads to variance (see the Cap 1 7.0 at CL vs CC this month).