• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fedex Ground "Signature Required"
2 2

42 posts in this topic

In case this is news to more than just me...

Last year, Fedex changed the rules for Signature Required to where the recipient has to show identification (e.g. Driver's License) even when it is delivered to their house and someone is answering the door.  When you track a package via Fedex.com , there is a little note by the "Sig Req'd" that explains that the recipient should have ID ready.

Fedex expects their employee to scan the Driver License.  I'm not a fan of my DL being scanned but, luckily, there is an alternative.  If the addressee shows the DL, but refuses to let it be scanned, then the Fedex employee can just examine the DL and note the age and initials of the recipient.

In my case, my Fedex delivery dude was not aware of the alternative and so my package is on its way back to the sender.

On 3/20/2023 at 2:03 PM, adamstrange said:

Last year, Fedex changed the rules for Signature Required to where the recipient has to show identification (e.g. Driver's License) even when it is delivered to their house and someone is answering the door.  When you track a package via Fedex.com , there is a little note by the "Sig Req'd" that explains that the recipient should have ID ready.

Fedex expects their employee to scan the Driver License.  I'm not a fan of my DL being scanned but, luckily, there is an alternative.  If the addressee shows the DL, but refuses to let it be scanned, then the Fedex employee can just examine the DL and note the age and initials of the recipient.

In my case, my Fedex delivery dude was not aware of the alternative and so my package is on its way back to the sender.

:frown:

On 3/20/2023 at 3:03 PM, adamstrange said:

I'm not a fan of my DL being scanned but, luckily, there is an alternative.  If the addressee shows the DL, but refuses to let it be scanned, then the Fedex employee can just examine the DL and note the age and initials of the recipient.

I fully agree with your caution.

On 3/20/2023 at 4:50 PM, LadyDeath said:

Got a book from Heritage last month via FedEx w/ signature required; never asked for ID.

There is another Fedex delivery guy that was my regular one last year and he never asked for signature or ID, even after this change went into effect in June.

Edited by adamstrange

My particular situation was "Adult Signature Required"

No signature required

There are many shipments FedEx delivers that do not require a signature from the recipient. In many cases, FedEx will still attempt to obtain a signature at the designated delivery address. If no one is available to sign, FedEx may leave the package in a safe place without obtaining a signature.

Indirect signature required

FedEx will obtain a signature from someone at the delivery address or from somebody nearby, such as a neighbor or building manager. The recipient has the option to authorize the shipment to be released without anyone present. This change can be requested for FedEx Express packages through FedEx Delivery Manager® or by signing a FedEx door tag.

Adult signature required

FedEx obtains a signature from someone at the delivery address who is at least the age of majority (no longer a minor) in the destination country. Government-issued photo identification or other identification customarily accepted by local authorities is required. If there is no eligible recipient at the address, FedEx may reattempt the delivery. For U.S. deliveries, the recipient must be 21 years of age and present government-issued photo identification.

Direct signature required

Someone at the recipient’s address must sign for the delivery. Direct signature deliveries are made to the address on the mailing label, not to an individual recipient. If no one is at the address, FedEx may reattempt the delivery.

Some info from Fedex website:

If your shipment requires an indirect signature, you can sign electronically through FedEx Delivery Manager. If the shipment requires a direct or adult signature, then someone must be available to sign in person. If someone is not home to sign for a direct or adult signature, the courier will leave a door tag or reattempt delivery.

If you know in advance you won't be home to sign for your package, you can choose from one of the below options while using FedEx Delivery Manager: 

• Redirect your package to be held at a FedEx location for up to 10 days for FedEx Ground shipments and up to 5 days for FedEx Express shipments free of charge. 
  • Redirect your package to another location or schedule another delivery time. A fee will apply. 
  • Sign for the package electronically on your phone or computer if the signature required is an indirect signature. Electronic signatures cannot be used on deliveries that require an adult or direct signature.
Edited by adamstrange

On 3/20/2023 at 2:03 PM, adamstrange said:

I also just heard about this from a new FedEx driver - our regular guy never asks for my ID. New FedEx guy didn't want to get in trouble so he asked to see my ID (I don't believe he scanned it because I left it in my wallet), which is fine, but it seems like there's a lot of wiggle room, as our regular driver never asks for my ID and can obviously leave the package.

On 3/20/2023 at 4:03 PM, adamstrange said:

That's overkill. Are they concerned that someone who doesn't live at the house is in the house and answering the door? License? I don't have to show you any stinking license. 

If the buyer gives an address then they are responsible for who answers the door at that address, not fedex. 

On 3/20/2023 at 4:08 PM, Professor K said:

That's overkill. Are they concerned that someone who doesn't live at the house is in the house and answering the door? License? I don't have to show you any stinking license. 

If the buyer gives an address then they are responsible for who answers the door at that address, not fedex. 

A license is usually only required for a shipment of alcohol.  The only time I show a license is for receipt of packages from a wine club.  The drivers rarely scan the id (it is just the back of the id) but instead just ask me to flash it.  

On 3/20/2023 at 7:08 PM, Professor K said:

It's only for "Adult Signature" option and it's their way of determining the recipient was an "adult".

FedEx used to be a problem for me with no one being home at the time of delivery. Luckily there are a couple FedEx drop off offices close by. I simply log on to my account and redirect to a location close to my work and pickup on my way home.

Edited by Jayman

Everywhere I get my books from has my P.O. box as the shipping address. Too many times waiting around all day for a package then I get notified it will be tomorow instead. Absolutley Positively? I think not. 

Ever since CGC started using Fed Ex for returning books, I’ve encountered some issues.

First CGC does not allow me to redirect my shipments to a Fed Ex location in case I can’t be home when the books are scheduled to be delivered which I don’t like. Secondly this is sometimes a good thing and sometimes a bad thing, but my shipments from CGC from Florida to California seem to arrive faster than initially expected. And they can even arrive on a Sunday.

Now the strangest thing is CGC shipments are supposed to require a signature. It’s been my experience that more often than not, the drivers not only don’t require a signature but they just drop off the books and don’t even ring my doorbell!! I only know they’ve dropped off the shipment because I have the RING system on my house.

Simple solution, move to the Metroplex! :drumroll:

Either pick-up winnings at Heritage or see if there's a way to finagle a hand-delivery option. Given the hammer prices some hifalutin books are bringing down I'd think the hand delivery idea isn't as wild as it looks and might sound pretty good to Heritage too (...and don't forget to tip Halperin)! :acclaim:

On 3/20/2023 at 10:48 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Either pick-up winnings at Heritage or see if there's a way to finagle a hand-delivery option. Given the hammer prices some hifalutin books are bringing down I'd think the hand delivery idea isn't as wild as it looks and might sound pretty good to Heritage too (...and don't forget to tip Halperin)! :acclaim:

Wait... you can pick-up at Heritage?  Seriously?

I was wondering because I ordered something Week 1, Week 2 comes and I win stuff in their next auction but the stuff from Week 1 still hasn't shipped, so I call up and ask if they can combine the 2 into one shipment and maybe save a few bucks.  But they said "it looks like your first order is already on the shipping floor" or something so they couldn't combine it.  Another 4 or 5 days go by before they finally ship the first order.  Smh.  If I can just go pick the order up, I'd rather do that than risk porch pirates and wait times.

On 3/20/2023 at 9:48 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

But then you have to live in the Metroplex.