• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fedex Ground "Signature Required"
2 2

42 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2023 at 4:12 PM, adamstrange said:

My particular situation was "Adult Signature Required"

I'm assuming the "adult" part was the problem.

On 3/21/2023 at 4:46 PM, MrBedrock said:

I'm assuming the "adult" part was the problem.

If only there had been one at home when the box arrived. :blush:

I had two "adult" sigs this week.  I successfully diverted one to Fedex office where I picked it up by showing my ID. 

I tried to switch the original package to be held, but Fedex ignored that request and a delivery dude showed up today.  This was a different guy, but he still asked to scan the ID.  He accepted when I told him he could just note my age.

On 3/24/2023 at 2:31 PM, adamstrange said:

I had two "adult" sigs this week.  I successfully diverted one to Fedex office where I picked it up by showing my ID. 

I tried to switch the original package to be held, but Fedex ignored that request and a delivery dude showed up today.  This was a different guy, but he still asked to scan the ID.  He accepted when I told him he could just note my age.

Your beard probably threw them off.  

On 3/24/2023 at 4:32 PM, buttock said:

Your beard probably threw them off.  

Either that or the 155mm howitzer.

On 3/21/2023 at 2:34 PM, Telegan said:

Wait... you can pick-up at Heritage?  Seriously?

I was wondering because I ordered something Week 1, Week 2 comes and I win stuff in their next auction but the stuff from Week 1 still hasn't shipped, so I call up and ask if they can combine the 2 into one shipment and maybe save a few bucks.  But they said "it looks like your first order is already on the shipping floor" or something so they couldn't combine it.  Another 4 or 5 days go by before they finally ship the first order.  Smh.  If I can just go pick the order up, I'd rather do that than risk porch pirates and wait times.

Absolutely! Just tell 'em you're from Bedrock City (be sure to wear an Astro's shirt); security will bring up your books and a bottle of champaign! (:

Seriously, Heritage often held my books and original art as requested for inspection and pick-up.  Let them know on the invoice in advance that you intend to pick up locally and call to make an appointment.  All you have to do is produce a valid ID and payment or proof of on-line payment and sign on the dotted line! I used to pick-up books from Heritage when it was in downtown Dallas; as a side benefit it shaves off shipping & packing charges. 

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
More ale and less levity!

On 3/20/2023 at 4:03 PM, adamstrange said:

In case this is news to more than just me...

Last year, Fedex changed the rules for Signature Required to where the recipient has to show identification (e.g. Driver's License) even when it is delivered to their house and someone is answering the door.  When you track a package via Fedex.com , there is a little note by the "Sig Req'd" that explains that the recipient should have ID ready.

Fedex expects their employee to scan the Driver License.  I'm not a fan of my DL being scanned but, luckily, there is an alternative.  If the addressee shows the DL, but refuses to let it be scanned, then the Fedex employee can just examine the DL and note the age and initials of the recipient.

In my case, my Fedex delivery dude was not aware of the alternative and so my package is on its way back to the sender.

I am seldom at home when FedEx comes to my house, but the times that I have been, they have never asked me for I.D.

I had to pick up my last FedEx package from a FedEx location, and when I pick up, they always ask me for ID. The girl at the drug store where I picked up the package initially refused to give it to me because the package was addressed to Jim, and my driver's license has James on it instead of Jim. She had never heard of Jim being a nickname for James. Everything else matched the package. They eventually released the package to me—after the shift manager called a higher-up for permission.

lol.  Speaking of which ... I just got a FedEx delivery "adult signature required".  It was supposed to arrive on Monday, but they've been arriving a day early sometimes, so I thought I'd wait around, and sure enough, this morning the estimated arrival date changed from Monday to today, so I waited at home.  They came, rang the doorbell, so I went to the door within 30 seconds.  By the time I opened the door, the driver was getting back in the truck and leaving... and, no, I never signed.  I would've been kind of ticked if they had just left this on the porch and I hadn't been around for a few hours with all the porch pirates.

What's crazier is that I looked at the tracking and it says it was signed for by me (with the name spelled incorrectly), and like I said, while I answered the door within 30 seconds, no, I didn't sign for it.

On 4/1/2023 at 2:16 PM, Telegan said:

lol.  Speaking of which ... I just got a FedEx delivery "adult signature required".  It was supposed to arrive on Monday, but they've been arriving a day early sometimes, so I thought I'd wait around, and sure enough, this morning the estimated arrival date changed from Monday to today, so I waited at home.  They came, rang the doorbell, so I went to the door within 30 seconds.  By the time I opened the door, the driver was getting back in the truck and leaving... and, no, I never signed.  I would've been kind of ticked if they had just left this on the porch and I hadn't been around for a few hours with all the porch pirates.

What's crazier is that I looked at the tracking and it says it was signed for by me (with the name spelled incorrectly), and like I said, while I answered the door within 30 seconds, no, I didn't sign for it.

There were a few of books that I was interested in in the last ComicLink auction, but I skipped going after them specifically because I didn't want to deal with FedEx. ComicLink doesn't offer any options other than FedEx.

My biggest problem with FedEx, that no one has mentioned, is that they seem to deliver based on the GPS data.  For some reason, GPS data designates my next door neighbor's house as my address.   During covid I had multiple thousand dollar packages that the driver not only signed for, but left next dooor.  I too, try and get all my packages, including UPS, delivered to one of their locations for pickup.  I don't really understand why the sender can restrict that option.  Isn't it safer to pick it up at the Fedex office?

On 4/12/2023 at 5:40 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Isn't it safer to pick it up at the Fedex office?

My guess?  At most Fedex locations there isn't a secure place to temporarily store packages.  That makes it easier for something to get "lost" without being able to assign accountability to an employee.

On 4/11/2023 at 9:44 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

There were a few of books that I was interested in in the last ComicLink auction, but I skipped going after them specifically because I didn't want to deal with FedEx. ComicLink doesn't offer any options other than FedEx.

Yup.  This was a CL auction.  I haven't had any issues with it so far since I'm usually home when they deliver until I realized FedEx leaves signature-required packages without actually getting a signature.  I keep asking myself how is this even "legal"?  Some of the comics you guys post, I'd go ballistic if they "lost" or left on the porch with no signatures considering their values.  I'm small potatoes compared to those shipments. lol.  Now the 3-4 inch crack on the back of a slab I recently bought from a CL auction has me a bit peeved, but I obviously can't tell whether it was on there already and wasn't noted in the description or it occurred during the FedEx shipment process, and it wasn't a "major" comic to me, nor a very expensive one, so, whatever.

On 4/12/2023 at 5:55 PM, adamstrange said:

My guess?  At most Fedex locations there isn't a secure place to temporarily store packages.  That makes it easier for something to get "lost" without being able to assign accountability to an employee.

I'd almost risk it getting "lost" at FedEx than stolen off my porch.  Hopefully there'd be some recourse with a package that never made it to my residence.  At least I would hope so, anyway, but nowadays, who knows.

Every now and then I like to throw monkey wrenches into the machinery, so here's something worth mulling over for fellow big ticket comic collectors: I wonder why some enterprising auction house isn't offering a courier service for some of the bigger investment purchases??? They have as much to lose as collectors from bad shipping experiences. Food for thought.

I just got my cgc submission back today and the driver just rang the doorbell and drive off.  the fedex website said my signature was obtained. i called but got outsourced customer service so i hung up. i havent used fedex for over 10 years and if cgc didnt use them i wouldnt have been sucked back into their black hole lol

My most recent auction win from the last Heritage Signature Auction arrived yesterday after a weird journey through the FedEx system.  All due to a smeared and illegible barcode on the label.  It was interesting watching the tracking information as a 5-figure comic went from "on truck for delivery" to "attempted delivery: wrong address" to "return to delivery hub" to "barcode illegible" to "on truck for delivery" to "delivered."

Now I get to deal with the issue of there being an extra plastic shard inside the slab.  Since CGC doesn't provide a free reholder on this problem (even though they created the problem), I'm reaching out to HA and will see if they can offer some help.

catman20002.jpg.732839c34cfc96a8aafde33d5ac5166e.jpg

On 4/14/2023 at 8:16 AM, walclark said:

My most recent auction win from the last Heritage Signature Auction arrived yesterday after a weird journey through the FedEx system.  All due to a smeared and illegible barcode on the label.  It was interesting watching the tracking information as a 5-figure comic went from "on truck for delivery" to "attempted delivery: wrong address" to "return to delivery hub" to "barcode illegible" to "on truck for delivery" to "delivered."

Now I get to deal with the issue of there being an extra plastic shard inside the slab.  Since CGC doesn't provide a free reholder on this problem (even though they created the problem), I'm reaching out to HA and will see if they can offer some help.

catman20002.jpg.732839c34cfc96a8aafde33d5ac5166e.jpg

Consider it a bonus.  

On 4/13/2023 at 9:04 PM, Hes Dead Jim said:

I just got my cgc submission back today and the driver just rang the doorbell and drive off.  the fedex website said my signature was obtained. i called but got outsourced customer service so i hung up. i havent used fedex for over 10 years and if cgc didnt use them i wouldnt have been sucked back into their black hole lol

Fedex has never been the same since Tom was marooned with Wilson.