• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hall of Heroes Burglarized
2 2

44 posts in this topic

We need some kind of "Alert System" for when books are stolen. Perhaps CGC graded books can be notated as 'Stolen' in the database in case someone tries to resell? A comic book APB System would be quite helpful. Getting the word out via posts and such is helpful but if there was a way to "Red Flag" a book that was stolen it would help find stolen books and nab the scum that stole and arrange for their execution - preferably a public execution. Thieves will think twice next time they want to steal some funny books.

On 3/22/2023 at 11:01 AM, Robot Man said:

No insurance, cheap, crappy display cases, no security? A disaster just waiting to happen. Sadly, people just don’t pay attention or figure it will never happen to them…:sorry:

Books like that are bound to turn up and hopefully they get them back and the scum that took them are locked up! 

I understand you're being a realist and not trying to be mean-spirited but it just always sounds like victim blaming when it's really a case of thieves getting more brazen and more desperate. This was a museum and not a comic store and, as they said, they couldn't afford to insure. Should they have had better security? Sure, but that's easier said than done. They were doing a great public service by potentially showing young people Golden Age history; we should be supporting these endeavors on a proactive basis rather than a reactive one and that includes me as well.

I asked this question in a previous break-in thread.
Figured it should be asked again, especially since this was a museum that couldn't afford the insurance.
Why not get high resolution photos / prints made of the books and then store the originals offsite until a deal / sale is brokered?

On 3/23/2023 at 8:40 AM, troy.division said:

Why not get high resolution photos / prints made of the books and then store the originals offsite until a deal / sale is brokered?

Someone answered this question, too. In the case of an LCS, buyers want to inspect the actual product.

On 3/22/2023 at 6:31 PM, lordbyroncomics said:

I understand you're being a realist and not trying to be mean-spirited but it just always sounds like victim blaming when it's really a case of thieves getting more brazen and more desperate. This was a museum and not a comic store and, as they said, they couldn't afford to insure. Should they have had better security? Sure, but that's easier said than done. They were doing a great public service by potentially showing young people Golden Age history; we should be supporting these endeavors on a proactive basis rather than a reactive one and that includes me as well.

I'm sure commercial rates would be different but it only costs me less than 1% of my collection's value to insure it. The decision to not insure these books is just insane. 

On 3/23/2023 at 8:57 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Someone answered this question, too. In the case of an LCS, buyers want to inspect the actual product.

Exactly.
Thank you for setting up my follow-up question.
Why were the (uninsured) irreplaceable original comics in this museum?
Not like someone needs to 'inspect the actual product'...

On 3/23/2023 at 9:24 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

I'm sure commercial rates would be different but it only costs me less than 1% of my collection's value to insure it. The decision to not insure these books is just insane. 

Exactly.
Just did the math and CIS costs me .53% of my total collection value per year.
Hoping a dealer comes along and provides some context on how much their commercial rate is.

Also an idea, but the owner should at the very least take home the expensive books instead of leaving them in the displays overnight... Especially without having insurance to cover for any potential losses/damages.  Hopefully the books can be recovered and thieves caught.  It was tough to see during the interview with the owner how emotional he was talking about how it took years of work to put all this up together and now it's been stripped away :frown:

On 3/23/2023 at 2:16 PM, troy.division said:

Exactly.

Would you visit a museum without original pieces? (shrug)

On 3/23/2023 at 5:40 AM, troy.division said:

Figured it should be asked again, especially since this was a museum that couldn't afford the insurance.

Because comic collectors are often short in the common sense department.

On 3/23/2023 at 1:45 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:
On 3/23/2023 at 1:16 PM, troy.division said:

Exactly.

Art galleries / museums do this all of the time.

It's a somewhat analogous concept as the original art is stored away to avoid prolonged exposure to light (and, I would bet, prolonged exposure to criminals).

On 3/23/2023 at 8:24 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

Agreed.  It would cost no more than $10,000 a year for a million dollars in coverage, probably less.

On 3/23/2023 at 2:45 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

A comic book museum?
I mean, my LCS prices their wall books so high that they just sit there like they are a museum...

Truthfully, most have been to at least one museum in our lifetime with replica / museum-quality casts of dinosaur fossils or replica spacecraft.