• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

news story on Detroit comic collection
7 7

82 posts in this topic

The guy definitely sounded like someone who would be tough to live with and some may consider him a nightmare because of his compulsions.  I understand the family being miserable at times because of his collecting obsession but then why now tout the collection after he is dead.  It feels like a cash grab which you can't entirely blame them when there looks to be millions at stake but it kind of stinks.  If the collection hurt them so drastically I'd think they would just contact ComicLink or some other big seller and wash their hands of it and move on and cash the checks.  

Edited by 1Cool

On 3/29/2023 at 2:31 PM, lostboys said:

I guess I just dont like the way this mans legacy as a father and husband is being trashed.

He cant defend himself.

He worked for his money.

Now...If his wife and kids went without because of his obsession, that would be wrong.

As long as he provided food, clothing, shelter and protection...using comics as his escape form an otherwise miserable home life, is not so bad.

Im sure we didnt all have fathers who showered us with love and attention.

I wish my dad was a hoarder of comics - all I got was years of counseling from him :( 

I guess I just dont like the way this mans legacy as a father and husband is being trashed.

He cant defend himself.

He worked for his money.

Now...If his wife and kids went without because of his obsession, that would be wrong.

As long as he provided food, clothing, shelter and protection...using comics as his escape form an otherwise miserable home life, is not so bad.

I'm sure they appreciate his millions now.  Thanks DAD! 

On 3/29/2023 at 11:51 AM, 1Cool said:

The guy definitely sounded like someone who would be tough to live with and some may consider him a nightmare because of his compulsions.  I understand the family being miserable at times because of his collecting obsession but then why now tout the collection after he is dead.  It feels like a cash grab which you can't entirely blame them when there looks to be millions at stake but it kind of stinks.  If the collection hurt them so drastically I'd think they would just contact ComicLink or some other big seller and wash their hands of it and move on and cash the checks.  

If they never had a relationship with him and have no personal interest in the collection other than maximizing profit, then I can’t blame them.  Are they supposed to sit on this collection for another 50 years?

On 3/28/2023 at 11:05 AM, october said:

They consigned some stuff with Harley, I bought a few at the Heritage Summit. 

From what Harley had, was it mostly SA and up, or were there also some GA that did not go to auction and available for collectors to buy?  hm  :takeit:

He cant defend himself.

He worked for his money.

Lol. Food, clothing, shelter, and protection. 
So as long as your father provided you with the absolute basics and fundamentals of survival, what does anyone have to complain about. 

“Do you, Helen, take this man, for richer or poorer, sickness…”

”YES! I want isolation and and difference! I want fights and obsession… so long as he provides me with the basics to survive.”

This man collected 300,000, so that is, say, 7,500 books a year, for 40 years. That’s 20 books a day, consistently. 

It’s no wonder she left him, he’s a nut. 

Instead of the Fantast Collection, it should have been renamed the Psychosis Collection.

On 3/30/2023 at 9:07 PM, D2 said:

It’s no wonder she left him, he’s a nut. 

Instead of the Fantast Collection, it should have been renamed the Psychosis Collection.

They said he had aspergers. Looking from that lens and the time period then,  where there wasn't much awareness about spectrum disorders, his behaviour isn't all that surprising. 

On 3/30/2023 at 9:35 AM, Grendel72 said:

They said he had aspergers. Looking from that lens and the time period then,  where there wasn't much awareness about spectrum disorders, his behaviour isn't all that surprising. 

well, that is sad. I appreciate you filling me in. 

On 3/30/2023 at 9:40 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I would hope that those criticizing this man aren’t also going to purchase books from his collection....

No, I use it as an example to help work on my own problems. Because I don’t want to end up divorced with my son that wishes he had more time with me. 

On 3/28/2023 at 12:24 PM, seanfingh said:

It 100% was hoarding.  It's pretty clear that in some ways the dad poured more into the hoard than he did into his family. The son still obviously was very emotionally attached to his dad - but he clearly wanted the dad to include him more in whatever the dad was into. They hinted at the fact that no one was allowed to touch anything. It's possible that no one else was allowed into the home.  It seems like a pretty jacked up situation.

whatever it was, hoarding, mental illness, Aspbergers, a normal collector like all of us (!) .......  family hit the JACKPOT and should be kinder in the words they use to describe this man

On 3/30/2023 at 1:16 PM, fishbone said:

whatever it was, hoarding, mental illness, Aspbergers, a normal collector like all of us (!) .......  family hit the JACKPOT and should be kinder in the words they use to describe this man

Just so I understand you - You are saying because they are going to get money they should say nicer things?

On 3/30/2023 at 1:21 PM, seanfingh said:
On 3/30/2023 at 1:16 PM, fishbone said:

Just so I understand you - You are saying because they are going to get money they should say nicer things?

Cash is king, fingh!