• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Registry Awards
4 4

63 posts in this topic

So, my question last year is my question this year... how?  How do you get your sets noticed?  The Moon Knight collection that won last year was not that impressive... however, his presentation was.  It's phenomenal!

How do you do what he did, as I didn't know that we could do images and code the way he seemed to in his description.

As an almost strictly Signature Series collector for a long time now, I have two custom sets that I just haven't seen others with, that I would put up against any other modern.  However, it doesn't matter if no one sees it or knows about.  "Tree falls in the woods" sort of thing.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On 6/8/2023 at 11:17 AM, Daffaholic said:

So, my question last year is my question this year... how?  How do you get your sets noticed?  The Moon Knight collection that won last year was not that impressive... however, his presentation was.  It's phenomenal!

How do you do what he did, as I didn't know that we could do images and code the way he seemed to in his description.

As an almost strictly Signature Series collector for a long time now, I have two custom sets that I just haven't seen others with, that I would put up against any other modern.  However, it doesn't matter if no one sees it or knows about.  "Tree falls in the woods" sort of thing.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!  With the help of replies like yours an some others, I jumped on working to edit one of my custom sets that I'd love to have them recognize.  Working on editing only this one set, so very late in the game, is the only time that i am going to have for this year's awards, unfortunately... but now I have a MUCH better idea of what to do for next year. 

Take a look, and thanks again!

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/ComicCustomSetView.aspx?s=32040

On 6/17/2023 at 10:00 AM, Daffaholic said:

Thanks!  With the help of replies like yours an some others, I jumped on working to edit one of my custom sets that I'd love to have them recognize.  Working on editing only this one set, so very late in the game, is the only time that i am going to have for this year's awards, unfortunately... but now I have a MUCH better idea of what to do for next year. 

Nice change-up to have the episode title as the second picture. Also the extended explanations for each book so you have a reason to click on each one!

On 6/17/2023 at 11:47 AM, DougC said:

Nice change-up to have the episode title as the second picture. Also the extended explanations for each book so you have a reason to click on each one!

Thank you!

Again, first attempt at making the set more “presentable,” but I thought tying it in to the cartoons and episode title cards was a must!

On 6/17/2023 at 11:02 AM, Daffaholic said:

Thanks!  With the help of posts like these and some help from a LOT of others here, I jumped on working to edit one of my custom sets that I'd love to have them recognize.  Working on editing only this one set, so very late in the game, is the only time that i am going to have for this year's awards, unfortunately... but now I have a MUCH better idea of what to do for next year. 

Wow. Seriously amazing presentation. (thumbsu

Here's my first registered custom set! https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/ComicCustomSetView.aspx?s=33402

I finally completed this Jim Lee X-Men (1991) blue label, white pages CGC NM/M 9.8 Newsstand Edition set! 🥲 This set features all the connecting issue #1s, issues #2 to #11 where Jim had worked on the interiors, and X-Men Annual #1 where Jim drew the iconic cover that showcases the group running into battle. Some may appreciate how hard getting high grade newsstands editions can be, so hopefully can appreciate this 15 book newsstand set. 

It took almost two years to collect all 15 newsstand issues graded in 9.8 since I personally acquired each newsstand issue raw, pressed them myself, and painstakingly submitted to CGC over many months. Through out this period I resisted buying them already graded on Ebay as a personal challenge (but also because most were quite expensive and many issues were impossibly rare to find as newsstand 9.8s). While there were a few that I eventually purchased from other collectors and through Ebay to replace the "lower quality" 9.8 copies I owned, I'm proud to say I was able to personally press and grade each issue to get them to a CGC 9.8 grade!

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by epiclion
Included picture

On 6/23/2023 at 1:01 PM, epiclion said:

Here's my first registered custom set! https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/ComicCustomSetView.aspx?s=33402

I finally completed this Jim Lee X-Men (1991) blue label, white pages CGC NM/M 9.8 Newsstand Edition set! 🥲 This set features all the connecting issue #1s, issues #2 to #11 where Jim had worked on the interiors, and X-Men Annual #1 where Jim drew the iconic cover that showcases the group running into battle. Some may appreciate how hard getting high grade newsstands editions can be, so hopefully can appreciate this 15 book newsstand set. 

It took almost two years to collect all 15 newsstand issues graded in 9.8 since I personally acquired each newsstand issue raw, pressed them myself, and painstakingly submitted to CGC over many months. Through out this period I resisted buying them already graded on Ebay as a personal challenge (but also because most were quite expensive and many issues were impossibly rare to find as newsstand 9.8s). While there were a few that I eventually purchased from other collectors and through Ebay to replace the "lower quality" 9.8 copies I owned, I'm proud to say I was able to personally press and grade each issue to get them to a CGC 9.8 grade!

s-l1600.jpg

As a fellow X-Men (1991) collector that set is gorgeous! I don't think there would be any objections to adding the annual #1 to the no variants set next year if you wanted to complete in a standard set as well? I am really jealous of the annual, I don't even have SS copy in 9.8 yet:x

Thank you so much! It's a great feeling to see the warm reception people have had to this set. It took a lot of time and energy, so it a big sigh of relief to finish this project. 

How do I go about adding the annual #1 to the standard set or even a newsstand set for that matter? Are you in charge of this or do I have to make a formal request in one of the posts on this chat board? 

The Annual is such an interesting book for me. I stumbled on a box X-Men Annual #1 newsstands so I've been lucky enough to extract a few 9.8s from that box. I'll just say that that there weren't that many NM 9.8 copies in that box. 

On 6/26/2023 at 12:07 PM, epiclion said:

Thank you so much! It's a great feeling to see the warm reception people have had to this set. It took a lot of time and energy, so it a big sigh of relief to finish this project. 

How do I go about adding the annual #1 to the standard set or even a newsstand set for that matter? Are you in charge of this or do I have to make a formal request in one of the posts on this chat board? 

The Annual is such an interesting book for me. I stumbled on a box X-Men Annual #1 newsstands so I've been lucky enough to extract a few 9.8s from that box. I'll just say that that there weren't that many NM 9.8 copies in that box. 

I believe it is locked right now, as they're determining awards :) 

I have used CGC since 2013, and I have never looked at the set page until today... Wow I am missing a new world of collecting. Considering I am a (part time) web designer I should whip up some cool designs on my own page!

Maybe I need to research this a bit more and tell my story in a set.

image.jpeg.a19bdde17f4039cb9cc3e99f7f64edee.jpeg

Over the past couple of years I've had a blast (along with my wife) travelling to ComicCons, visiting comic bookstores and searching online to acquire CGC graded comic books and comics to send in for grading. I've evolved to collect comics from all publishers and of numerous characters, as I appreciate the diverse storylines, the amazing art and the hunt for that elusive comic. About a year ago I decided to catalog my comic books within the registry, I don't have any concern for points or standing and I wanted my collection to simply reflect the stories and art that I appreciate personally. As the collection grew, I decided I'd pretty it up a bit, so I learned a little coding and brushed up on my PhotoShop skills. As the collection came together online and it's presentation improved, I decided I'd shoot for a registry award in one of two categories: Best Presented Set and Best Custom Set. I took a lot of time to photograph each comic front and back and to add a brief description of each. I catalogued the set by issue date and added my own custom graphics and dialogue. I thought my chances at one of the two categories were good... but I guess not good enough. The much-anticipated award presentations came and went and the Universal Comic Collection received no accolades. :(

I'll keep at it and add new comics and creative features to the set presentation, maybe I'll be in consideration for one of the awards in years to come?

THE UNIVERSAL COMIC COLLECTION - Custom Set (collectors-society.com)

cgc1.jpg

On 8/1/2023 at 7:22 AM, Dave Ski said:

Over the past couple of years I've had a blast (along with my wife) travelling to ComicCons, visiting comic bookstores and searching online to acquire CGC graded comic books and comics to send in for grading. I've evolved to collect comics from all publishers and of numerous characters, as I appreciate the diverse storylines, the amazing art and the hunt for that elusive comic. About a year ago I decided to catalog my comic books within the registry, I don't have any concern for points or standing and I wanted my collection to simply reflect the stories and art that I appreciate personally. As the collection grew, I decided I'd pretty it up a bit, so I learned a little coding and brushed up on my PhotoShop skills. As the collection came together online and it's presentation improved, I decided I'd shoot for a registry award in one of two categories: Best Presented Set and Best Custom Set. I took a lot of time to photograph each comic front and back and to add a brief description of each. I catalogued the set by issue date and added my own custom graphics and dialogue. I thought my chances at one of the two categories were good... but I guess not good enough. The much-anticipated award presentations came and went and the Universal Comic Collection received no accolades. :(

I'll keep at it and add new comics and creative features to the set presentation, maybe I'll be in consideration for one of the awards in years to come?

THE UNIVERSAL COMIC COLLECTION - Custom Set (collectors-society.com)

cgc1.jpg

Not bad at all, and with a good assortment :) Don't feel too bad, there are over 5,000 registry participants with some looking good to great. Needle meet haystack, so it could be more for the enjoyment, as you said, then if you win-YOU WIN! So to speak. I've got the same of similar size collection under my "main gallery tab", difference is mine is in individual sets. You can still see all mine searching my name in registry and viewing the main "gallery tab". 

I say that to say, yours is in the custom sets? Idk how best presented works, but that may be why mine haven't been mentioned either lol so you may or may not have more going for you than you think.

To that end Idk, if not #1 in a category to be #1 for best presented, or if it can be achieved in "Custom Sets?" or only there. I agree with the people who won, and can only surmise that there are a lot of sets, therefore a Lot of 1st place sets, and all that is needed is some sprucing up.

I've got to give them credit to sticking to it, and more importantly, staying focused on one particular set or genre! :banana:

@wytshus I had a question, so we'll know? For Best Presented? Does it matter if they are in the "Custom Set" portion?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Great work!  As for me, I was gunning for "Best Custom" or "Best Signature" myself this year (after years of never really ever knowing HOW one gets recognized or the work involved, and then receiving a crash course in HOW-TOs about a week or two before the deadline this year)... and ended up winning "Best Presentation."  So, take this from the new (old... on the registry for 20+ years now) guy on the block and with a grain of salt.  It seems that they winners and even those recognized all seem to have a particular focus or theme.  There seems to be a constant in the winners, so maybe the diversity and vastness of your set is working against it?  Just my thought quick on it, but well done!  I am slowly working all of my books in, and really need to overhaul my original sets of years ago and re-link books to them.  Just need to tackle that.

In the meantime, I have already begun adding to and upgrading my set that DID win this year (thank you all again for all of your help to get me there)... and I'm excited to bust out, what I consider, a more impressive different subset for next year's awards!

Edited by Daffaholic

If you take a look at this year's winners, you will see that we put a premium on sincere passion for the hobby.  

@Daffaholic's set is everything we look for in a Custom Set.  It still amazes me what can be accomplished in the Collector's Society if someone has a mind to express their love for comic collecting.

For me, this image alone was enough, I never watched the series, but I absolutely love the artwork!

Title

Does it matter if they are in the "Custom Set" portion?

Not at all.  However, we will be putting more emphasis on Custom Sets going forward.  

Interesting descriptions, plenty of images, and originality are the top priorities when we choose Award Winners.

On 8/9/2023 at 2:39 AM, wytshus said:

Does it matter if they are in the "Custom Set" portion?

Not at all.  However, we will be putting more emphasis on Custom Sets going forward.  

Interesting descriptions, plenty of images, and originality are the top priorities when we choose Award Winners.

ah thanks!!

I have all of the above (shrug) I just don't "know 'how' to create a custom set!" ??? I mean I know the mechanics, but idk what custom competetive means?

Like I had a custom set of "distorted hologram" labels, but "some" custom sets just look like a whole bunch of comics rather than a focus. I guess that is what all my books look like to others, if I can't come up with a "competitive category" for a custom set with 675+ slabs :roflmao: 

On 8/9/2023 at 3:11 AM, wytshus said:

If you take a look at this year's winners, you will see that we put a premium on sincere passion for the hobby.  

@Daffaholic's set is everything we look for in a Custom Set.  It still amazes me what can be accomplished in the Collector's Society if someone has a mind to express their love for comic collecting.

For me, this image alone was enough, I never watched the series, but I absolutely love the artwork!

Title

First, thank you again!

Secondly, HOW HAVE YOU GONE THIS LONG WITHOUT EVER SEEING IT?

Finally, go out and buy the series RIGHT NOW!  You will be forever happy with the purchase! :)

Edited by Daffaholic

On 8/9/2023 at 8:20 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

ah thanks!!

I have all of the above (shrug) I just don't "know 'how' to create a custom set!" ??? I mean I know the mechanics, but idk what custom competetive means?

Like I had a custom set of "distorted hologram" labels, but "some" custom sets just look like a whole bunch of comics rather than a focus. I guess that is what all my books look like to others, if I can't come up with a "competitive category" for a custom set with 675+ slabs :roflmao: 

If you want to attract more attention and competition within a custom set, I don't think you'll achieve that with rare printer error comics.  YOU are in a class of your own with those.

Also, 675+ slabs is daunting.  I have an Adam Hughes Cover Set too (hey! we're neighbors!!), but I have no illusion of ever completing or competing for the top spot there.

A good competitive set would be a smaller "run" of comics that are popular.