• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

June 2023 Heritage Signature Auction #7340
4 4

566 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2023 at 3:35 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I want to like this one, but I can’t get past the inking.  Wish it was Austin over Byrne

Color me conspiratorial- but I wonder if this started out as Sabertooth when Byrne penciled it and not something more relevant for the time like Wendigo and Joe “improved” it much later. I believe he is known to ink pieces penciled by others well after the fact and attributions can get murky. I know Byrne created the character’s look, but he was intended for Iron Fists rogue’s gallery 

On 5/17/2023 at 5:12 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Color me conspiratorial- but I wonder if this started out as Sabertooth when Byrne penciled it and not something more relevant for the time like Wendigo and Joe “improved” it much later. I believe he is known to ink pieces penciled by others well after the fact and attributions can get murky. I know Byrne created the character’s look, but he was intended for Iron Fists rogue’s gallery 

But, the whole piece is stylistically unified, and is very similar to one I have from that vintage of the Phantom Stranger.

On 5/17/2023 at 4:12 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Interesting idea. Given how this was penciled by Byrne in 1980 and Wolverine and Sabretooth don't actually meet/fight for the first time until 1986....it's a little weird. 
And it doesn't help distinguish from what might have been a penciled Wendigo ( a far more time-appropriate nemesis for Wolverine in 1980 ) that Byrne originally drew Sabretooth with the same elongated limbs as he did drawing his Sasquatch (later) and Wendigo. 

He even gave all of them those Stevie Nicks flowy arm adornments. 

On 5/25/2023 at 10:13 AM, Bronty said:

😂 try living outside the US.    You guys have it easy for transactions costs.

Hey, c’mon all those post hammer line items just help one really narrow the focus!

They should add a few more; maybe our friends in DC and Toronto can help too 🥳

On 5/17/2023 at 2:12 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Wow! I almost just dismissed this post as crazy-talk, but you've brought up a very interesting consideration that's not THAT far out of the realm of possibility.

On 5/25/2023 at 11:40 AM, J.Sid said:

Wow! I almost just dismissed this post as crazy-talk, but you've brought up a very interesting consideration that's not THAT far out of the realm of possibility.

Claremont and Byrne created Sabretooth in 1977 with some intent of connecting him to Wolverine down the line, so this match up in 1980 isn't so far fetched... just took Marvel a while to get around to it 

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 5/25/2023 at 7:05 AM, RBerman said:

As much as I patronize Heritage, it's not great for the hobby for low end pieces to endure these kinds of acquisition costs.

image.jpeg.b5208c6143972c53dda52d3b60e01079.jpeg

That’s why I don’t do HA any longer. I’m in the shallow end of the pool, and I got beat up on several pieces like that. And the shipping is cheap compared to CLink. I got hooked for $80 shipping on a $3000 bill at CLink for 3 pieces. I basically break even if I get my check out the next day in order to avoid buyer’s premium there.

On 5/25/2023 at 8:05 AM, RBerman said:

As much as I patronize Heritage, it's not great for the hobby for low end pieces to endure these kinds of acquisition costs.

image.jpeg.b5208c6143972c53dda52d3b60e01079.jpeg

Is it much different than buying a $130 piece on eBay or any site that also charges sales tax? 

On 5/26/2023 at 9:46 AM, RafaVia said:

HA doesn’t allow to hold stuff and make a pile from several auction to combine shipping???

I know a couple of folks who do exactly that. Good point. 

On 5/6/2023 at 8:32 AM, KirbyCollector said:

You got it! All yours 

On 5/25/2023 at 4:34 PM, comix4fun said:

Is it much different than buying a $130 piece on eBay or any site that also charges sales tax? 

I believe HA charges 10% to sellers (13% or so for Ebay sellers) and then Buyer's Premium - at least here on the cheap stuff - 29% to the buyer, which adds to the sales tax overall. Shipping seems even money. So in this situation, HA gets 40% fees on the sale of a $100 page. That seems a bit much.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 5/26/2023 at 10:48 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I believe HA charges 10% to sellers (13% or so for Ebay sellers) and then Buyer's Premium - at least here on the cheap stuff - 29% to the buyer, which adds to the sales tax overall. Shipping seems even money. So in this situation, HA gets 40% fees on the sale of a $100 page. That seems a bit much.

This is from the buyer's perspective. The BP is factored in, right when you bid. It's not a surprise. That's what I am saying. 

Someone buying a page for $130 on HA, is paying $130 plus sales tax and shipping. 
Someone buying a page for $130 on eBay is paying $130 plus sales tax and shipping. 

On 5/26/2023 at 9:55 AM, comix4fun said:

This is from the buyer's perspective. The BP is factored in, right when you bid. It's not a surprise. That's what I am saying. 

Someone buying a page for $130 on HA, is paying $130 plus sales tax and shipping. 
Someone buying a page for $130 on eBay is paying $130 plus sales tax and shipping. 

I see what you're saying - it's a $130 page to the buyer regardless of venue. And it's hard to play "what if it was on Ebay" because you never know if it were to end up there anyways. It would be a $100 page on Ebay, but it's not on there - and that's the point of it being on HA. The argument being that they have better stuff there.

I think a person has to accept that buying at HA, which you can expect proper packing and shipping, and no screwing around with your purchase (although it takes way longer to get your stuff than Ebay, typically) - is paying a "premium" (just like the phrase means). And if they don't want to accept that, they shop elsewhere - which is what I do, at least for the cheapie pages.

Edited by Dr. Balls