• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Season 2 Spring Edition (#6) Round 2
16 16

173 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2023 at 6:38 PM, zzutak said:

x1.jpg.c1b5f97534fafefd5217ab8163d18918.jpg

That's an arrival date (which is typically two months prior to the cover date).  Arrival dates and date stamps are not normally regarded as defects.   

Yeah I've heard about that :p But I couldn't believe this scribbling of random digits in particular would qualify ... my bad I guess lol

On 4/29/2023 at 10:19 AM, Pickie said:

scribbling of random digits

Most would regard this as a "neatly placed" arrival date.  Not scribbling.  (tsk)  And 3-19 is March 19th (two months prior to the cover date).  Not random digits.  (tsk)

That Jungle is very pretty for a 5.5.

I might still be able to pull back into the top ten fifty... with a six this round.  Just need to beat both @Get Marwood & I.  Unfair that there's two of them and only one of me!  (:

On 4/29/2023 at 8:13 PM, Yorick said:

That Jungle is very pretty for a 5.5.

I might still be able to pull back into the top ten fifty... with a six this round.  Just need to beat both @Get Marwood & I.  Unfair that there's two of them and only one of me!  (:

Don't worry, they're both idiots Yoz.

Looks like 5 points again for me. Not too bad but I waffled last minute on the JIM and it cost me.

• Administrator
On 4/29/2023 at 11:37 AM, Kramerica said:

When.You.Return?!?

I'm sorry but I was under the impression that you don't go anywhere. Ever. That you are chained here in the CGC dungeon and allowed out only to hold my hand while I attempt to cross the street and get 2nd breakfast. And should a free moment present itself there are plenty of books that need grading, many resto checks to be performed. As an elected official we pay your salary. My magazines aren't going to grade themselves so have at it Sir

:shy:

JK. Since your arrival you have been a shining light and we appreciate everything you do. You should be going out today. And tomorrow. Far away from us knuckleheads of which I admit to being Patient Zero.

Lol  I was let loose for a while today.  I took advantage, and brought my biggest, loudest guns to the range.  I did very well with my 270 at 200 yds, and the 3 1/2 inch high brass 12 gauge shells banged my shoulder pretty good.  

On 4/29/2023 at 9:38 AM, zzutak said:

x1.jpg.c1b5f97534fafefd5217ab8163d18918.jpg

That's an arrival date (which is typically two months prior to the cover date).  Arrival dates and date stamps are not normally regarded as defects.  I know of no reputable dealer or experienced collector who would downgrade a 9.4/9.6 (or lower) book for an arrival date or date stamp.  :foryou:  But your comment is awesome, as it fosters learning (which is what these contests are really all about).  (thumbsu  (thumbsu

AD-1.thumb.jpg.da6323b05f2e38aa133b633b8242b361.jpg AD-2.thumb.jpg.3665ad9dc913c46ea38826ef766b59b3.jpg DS-1.thumb.jpg.d8317738c2fe7a7468e33ef9c9783c7f.jpg DS-2.thumb.jpg.84d75fe717cc44229885cbea518c9059.jpg

I had to actually point that out to CGC somewhere in the 2004-5 period on a Hulk 181 I had graded (back when you could do so while in-process). They had downgraded it .5 for "ink on cover" and I had to make the pitch that it was the received date in the store (as it clearly was) - it took a couple of calls IIRC. Came back as an 8.5 instead of an 8.0 (but could have easily gotten a 9.0). I bought it on the Boards from my good friend in AK (ComicKing?) He still regrets the sale, I bet. :bigsmile: Those were the days.

On 4/29/2023 at 4:57 PM, CGC Mike said:

Lol  I was let loose for a while today.  I took advantage, and brought my biggest, loudest guns to the range.  I did very well with my 270 at 200 yds, and the 3 1/2 inch high brass 12 gauge shells banged my shoulder pretty good.  

Awesome !

3 bulls and 3 points this round.  5 bulls overall.  But I was too strict on the other three in Round 1.

On 4/29/2023 at 4:57 PM, CGC Mike said:

270 at 200 yds

I bet the 270 is pretty tough to find ammo for... that's a good distance.  All in the ten ring?

Here in CA they're trying to shut down all the ranges.  We used to have a nice 300 yard range.  I had brought a 22 and lobbed it about 6 feet above the target!  :yeehaw: The other guys were laughing.