• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problems with CGC grading a CLEANED and pressed book with a purple label. My thoughts.
7 7

217 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2023 at 10:13 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Oh, that was my point. Your straw-man wasn't my point. Restoration detection is a completely different matter from CGC's recent marketing shenanigans.

Messing up labels isn’t a marketing shenanigan, it’s just overworked or inexperienced graders making mistakes. How you make the assumption that these same people don’t make similar mistakes with restoration labels is quite a leap. 

In my mind the more plausible explanation is CGC has become aware of more and more people using restoration techniques and told graders to be more vigilant. These same mediocre graders are erring on the side of caution and making mistakes. 

CGC could easily settle this by mandating more detailed graded notes but….yea I think we can at least agree that ain’t happening. 

On 4/18/2023 at 11:19 AM, BrashL said:

Messing up labels isn’t a marketing shenanigan, it’s just overworked or inexperienced graders making mistakes. How you make the assumption that these same people don’t make similar mistakes with restoration labels is quite a leap. 

In my mind the more plausible explanation is CGC has become aware of more and more people using restoration techniques and told graders to be more vigilant. These same mediocre graders are erring on the side of caution and making mistakes. 

CGC could easily settle this by mandating more detailed graded notes but….yea I think we can at least agree that ain’t happening. 

Looks like you didn't read the threads related to Acetategate. In short, you're wrong.

So, straw-man aside, is there any reason to suggest that CGC detected restoration that doesn't exist on these books?

On 4/18/2023 at 10:24 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Looks like you didn't read the threads related to Acetategate. In short, you're wrong.

So, straw-man aside, is there any reason to suggest that CGC detected restoration that doesn't exist on these books?

“In short, you’re wrong”. LOL. Quite the argument there. 

Let’s make this simple. There’s two possibilities here, either the guy in the video originally posted is lying or the grader made a mistake. I can provide all kinds of evidence of grading mistakes around wrong labels, missed alterations and the like. Can you find one instance of this guy lying? If not then I’m afraid you just don’t have a point. 

Also maybe address my point about graders notes. 

On 4/18/2023 at 11:39 AM, BrashL said:

“In short, you’re wrong”. LOL. Quite the argument there. 

Let’s make this simple. There’s two possibilities here, either the guy in the video originally posted is lying or the grader made a mistake. I can provide all kinds of evidence of grading mistakes around wrong labels, missed alterations and the like. Can you find one instance of this guy lying? If not then I’m afraid you just don’t have a point. 

Also maybe address my point about graders notes. 

No, there's more than 2 possibilities. The most likely possibility is that the books are restored. Doesn't make much sense to argue otherwise without concrete evidence.

No.

On 4/18/2023 at 11:39 AM, BrashL said:

Let’s make this simple. There’s two possibilities here, either the guy in the video originally posted is lying or the grader made a mistake.

It's also possible the books were solvent cleaned before the poster acquired them.  CGC has been pretty clear that their policy is that only dry cleaning is not considered restoration.

On 4/18/2023 at 11:39 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

No, there's more than 2 possibilities. The most likely possibility is that the books are restored. Doesn't make much sense to argue otherwise without concrete evidence.

No.

Why is that the most likely? You have zero evidence of that. Again, there is ample evidence of graders making mistakes. There is no evidence these books were previously restored. In fact the guy said so far as he knows they were from original collections. 

The amount if denial here is really something. 

Hopefully we can get some clarification on this from CGC. If absorbene isn't considered dry cleaning that would be news to many. 

On 4/18/2023 at 1:45 PM, BrashL said:

Why is that the most likely? You have zero evidence of that. Again, there is ample evidence of graders making mistakes. There is no evidence these books were previously restored. In fact the guy said so far as he knows they were from original collections. 

The amount if denial here is really something. 

Hopefully we can get some clarification on this from CGC. If absorbene isn't considered dry cleaning that would be news to many. 

The professionals have indicated such. Your straw-men do not negate the vast likelihood that these are simply restored comics, conspiracy theorist.

On 4/18/2023 at 12:47 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The professionals have indicated such. Your straw-men do not negate the vast likelihood that these are simply restored comics, conspiracy theorist.

I’m starting to think you’re just trolling me. Are the professionals aware of this thread? Or are those people lying and submitting photoshopped pictures. 

How much of your net worth do you have in CGC slabs to not see this?

• Administrator
On 4/18/2023 at 1:52 PM, BrashL said:
On 4/18/2023 at 1:47 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I’m starting to think you’re just trolling me. Are the professionals aware of this thread? Or are those people lying and submitting photoshopped pictures. 

How much of your net worth do you have in CGC slabs to not see this?

I want this type of back and forth to end now, or I will end it.  

On 4/18/2023 at 10:57 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

So you're just a hypocrite? Alternately, you could try to be a better person. (shrug)

You could also stop trying to reply to me about your feelings on the matter. But I guess your the type to egg on a fight but not jump in IRL. FAFO is how I was raised son ;-)

• Administrator
On 4/18/2023 at 1:56 PM, MrPcfixer said:

You could also stop trying to reply to me about your feelings on the matter. But I guess your the type to egg on a fight but not jump in IRL. FAFO is how I was raised son ;-)

Your posts are coming on a little strong as well.  I recommend toning it down a bit.  

On 4/18/2023 at 2:00 PM, CGC Mike said:

Your posts are coming on a little strong as well.  I recommend toning it down a bit.  

Just defending myself. If people attack me I should defend myself yes? Or is it ok to let the attacks continue and the attackee to just stop replying and leave like a coward? That empowers bullies they think "they won something". It also encourages them to continue on. So If I very politely defend myself without cursing is it a problem? If so then the attacker should be reprimanded to stop the entire thing agreed? I mean it takes 2 to argue correct? To allow bully commentors to "roam the halls" so to speak, isnt a great idea. I did see you step in but I still see the continued "egging on" which is not going to curtail an argument. Its like poking a bear and not expecting to get mauled. But I do see your point because in hindsight I could just leave it alone but I hate bullies and I stand up for those who are buillied in life. It just irks me when keyboard commandos think they are something they are not.

Edited by MrPcfixer

• Administrator

I believe I have made my point.  If I return to this thread later on this evening and find a conversation that is not civil, I will remove posting privileges for all posters who are causing problems. It's as simple as that.

On 4/18/2023 at 1:56 PM, MrPcfixer said:

There's nothing you can do about it. (thumbsu

This could all be cleared up if someone from CGC would just come out and say what “cover cleaned” actually means. Does it mean chemicals were detected? Does it mean it was damaged in some way from aggressive dry cleaning? 

I don’t think they need everyone here leaping to their defense but again, I understand that lots of people have a financial interest in CGC’s reputation. That said, a lot more people watch those YouTube videos than read these forums so the reputational damage will get done either way.