• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problems with CGC grading a CLEANED and pressed book with a purple label. My thoughts.
7 7

217 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2023 at 6:12 PM, joeypost said:

I have submitted many books under my account. I never received a conserved or restored grade based on my proper and competent dry cleaning and pressing.

FTFY. (thumbsu

On 4/18/2023 at 8:59 PM, BrashL said:

So question: How many books have you had to turn away because you detected previous restoration?  Is it common? What sort of things have you seen?

That is an excellent question. 

I have been able to pick up certain telltale signs of chemical cleaning and water baths. I let my customers know my thoughts on the books and submit based on what they want to do going forward. Chemical and water baths are not that common, but I see where that will change based on YouTube trends. 

What I am seeing more and more of is poor press jobs. This has to do with a lot of dealers now pressing their own books.  I’m sure they hire someone out at $20 an hour just to squash books and it shows. Some of these books are not just poorly pressed, they are damaged beyond repair.