• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problems with CGC grading a CLEANED and pressed book with a purple label. My thoughts.
7 7

217 posts in this topic

On 4/22/2023 at 12:03 AM, BrashL said:

I see this thread is still 95% speculation. Until CGC makes a statement it’s anybodies guess what’s going on. My money is still on inexperienced graders under pressure making mistakes. 

How is any of this speculation? 

Cleaning books, beyond dry cleaning has always been restoration or conservation. No speculation required and its 100% consistent for 20+ years. 

The only ambiguity is their ability to detect cleaning. Techniques change with the express intent of "slipping it past CGC".  And I give CGC allot of credit for continuing to figure out how to detect these new techniques. 

On 4/22/2023 at 12:03 AM, BrashL said:

I see this thread is still 95% speculation. Until CGC makes a statement it’s anybodies guess what’s going on. My money is still on inexperienced graders under pressure making mistakes. 

Ultimately grading is a system based on human judgements and humans make mistakes. Put 100 NM comics in front of a dozen graders (especially recently hired) and you’ll get a range of grades on the same book. Despite what the market reflects, there’s functionally little difference between 9.6 and 9.8 on a macro scale. And that doesn’t even get into 9.9s and 10.0s. So long as that’s the case, people will play the lottery and see what they can get away with. In this case, I think CGC is just overcorrecting. 

Let’s just say there are important talks about this going on at CGC. While I agree some of these cases may be based on inexperienced graders, not all of them are. Historically, when a book was being considered as cleaned by water or chemical bath more experienced graders were called in to review it. 

Problems with CGC grading a CLEANED and pressed book with a purple label. My thoughts.
I've read most of the foregoing posts, and just to toss my hat into the ring: I believe that any book determined to be obviously cleaned and pressed should be deemed restored and/or enhanced.  Both preservation and presentation are arts unto themselves, and should be respected as such. If you can't confirm either without reasonable doubt, then set them free.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:10 PM, Bluefear said:

They aren't interested in giving you helpful advice. They don't want you to learn. They want you paying them to press your books.

I don't even know how to press, genius, so you wasted all your brain cells on this post for nothing.

On 4/24/2023 at 8:49 AM, Ed the 'Ed said:

I'm in. I'll take "he doesn't understand how grading works" for $1,000 Alex.

A mistake would be: "Oops, we missed that color touch top-left of the front cover!"

Not: "Oops, we detected that this book went through a restorative cleaning process!"

The process of dry cleaning and pressing of a comic book requires the direct application of a gaseous liquid chemical compound to paper, with the intended effect of relaxing the paper's fibers to the point where its present undesired physical condition can be manipulated with the right combination of temperature, humidity and pressure. The ultimate intent being to mimic the original condition of the paper when the book was first printed as closely as possible.

Dry cleaning and pressing of a book is a form of restoration itself that can be every bit as stressful on a book, in many cases more so, than using frowned-upon techniques which involve submitting a book to a slightly different chemical compound with an extra oxygen atom and some filtered-spectrum light.

IMHO, if a book has undergone aqueous cleaning to remove stains or brighten whites thru non-invasive procedures like blue-light therapy (It's NOT UV light), and shows zero evidence of such work at arm's length, then it should always get a blue label. Regardless if the cleaning was dry or wet, if cleaned and pressed poorly, a book should still get a blue label and knocked down the grading scale accordingly, just as books do which have tape repairs made to them. Gray conserved labels should be reserved for obvious, unhidden, additive or subtractive processes used on books meant to conserve a book and/or make it safer to handle and read, and that does include some very light trimming in order to improve the edges and prevent tearing. It should also include books that have been professionally restored using archive quality processes, or perhaps these can be folded into the green label.  

Purple labels should be reserved for junk restoration work.

Imagine if car restorers were limited to using only absorene sponges, swiffer pads and steamed water, and would receive half the value for their restored cars if buyers discovered they took the car apart to clean some parts with varsol or buffed out some scratches with turtlewax.

I think CGC is hitting these books because they've been cleaned and it shows, there's residue left behind on the books that's obvious. That's sloppy, junk restoration work, and it absolutely deserves a big ugly PLOD.

Is a restoration check not part of the grade screening process? I think with these new rates of theirs, they should make screening a default thing and include it as part of the default service... Offer people their books back with a partial refund, or a chance to remove restoration with a surcharge before it gets graded/slabbed. Could be a big money maker if managed properly.

On 4/27/2023 at 10:39 AM, agamoto said:

Dry cleaning and pressing of a book is a form of restoration itself that can be every bit as stressful on a book, in many cases more so, than using frowned-upon techniques which involve submitting a book to a slightly different chemical compound with an extra oxygen atom and some filtered-spectrum light.

IMHO, if a book has undergone aqueous cleaning to remove stains or brighten whites thru non-invasive procedures like blue-light therapy (It's NOT UV light), and shows zero evidence of such work at arm's length, then it should always get a blue label. Regardless if the cleaning was dry or wet, if cleaned and pressed poorly, a book should still get a blue label and knocked down the grading scale accordingly, just as books do which have tape repairs made to them. Gray conserved labels should be reserved for obvious, unhidden, additive or subtractive processes used on books meant to conserve a book and/or make it safer to handle and read, and that does include some very light trimming in order to improve the edges and prevent tearing. It should also include books that have been professionally restored using archive quality processes, or perhaps these can be folded into the green label.  

This guy votes "Crack" in every poll.

On 4/27/2023 at 7:39 AM, agamoto said:

The process of dry cleaning and pressing of a comic book requires the direct application of a gaseous liquid chemical compound to paper, with the intended effect of relaxing the paper's fibers to the point where its present undesired physical condition can be manipulated with the right combination of temperature, humidity and pressure.

Since I know absolutely zillch about the whole darned pressing process, but I imagine we would need somebody like @joeypost to confirm that this is NOT the only method to press a book.  Especially since pressing is supposed to be a non-additive process which from the way that I understand it, does NOT require the addition of any gaseous liquid compound to the paper.  hm