• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sad News - R.I.P. Richard Olson - Yellow Kid
6 6

108 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2023 at 7:12 PM, sfcityduck said:

You know, I believe that it is not derailing a thread about a person’s passing to discuss the passions and information he wanted to pass along.  It instead is evidence of a legacy.  

When I die nothing would make me happier than if some folks remembered some of my threads and thoughts and gave them some discussion.  I like to think I had something helpful, interesting or valuable to say. People die but it’s like a rock thrown ito a pond and the ripples that result. The hope is the ripples are noticed.

Your ripples will definitely be noticed...:preach:  I've been fascinated and educated by your investigations and knowledge.

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 5/14/2023 at 3:07 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

I came across this listed on an online bookstore quite by chance this morning...

Advertisement?  Original book?  Reprint?  :popcorn:

On 5/14/2023 at 12:35 PM, Flex Mentallo said:

The original page that I posted earlier in the thread is from that series and documents his visit to Paris.

I never got to meet the man; only corresponded through PM. Seemed like a really nice person, and after reading all of the fond memories in this thread, one I wished I could have shook hands with. I now understand why he was so interested in my Uncle Scrooge #6 (bought as a 7.0 raw/graded out as a 6.5).

R.I.P. Rich.

On 3/12/2024 at 8:00 AM, Badger said:

I never got to meet the man; only corresponded through PM. Seemed like a really nice person, and after reading all of the fond memories in this thread, one I wished I could have shook hands with. I now understand why he was so interested in my Uncle Scrooge #6 (bought as a 7.0 raw/graded out as a 6.5).

R.I.P. Rich.

This would be a good place to post it.

On 3/13/2024 at 2:00 AM, Badger said:

R.I.P. Rich.

Rich and I were both looking for nice copies of Scrooge #6 at one stage and talked a bit about it. I ended up with a 6.5 as well, and there aren't too many higher copies on the census, last time I looked.

So was Richard Olson one of those few collectors who started buying comics circa 1950, kept them all and then when older began to hunt down issues he'd missed as a kid?

???