• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sad News - R.I.P. Richard Olson - Yellow Kid
6 6

108 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2023 at 1:05 PM, ThothAmon said:

Very sad to hear. My condolences to his family and friends. His platinum era collection must be massive. 

Yup. One of the best known. What is even more important is his collection of other platinum era “other stuff”. Toys, advertising, pinback buttons, original art and the like. So many one of a kind items. Rich really loved “the hunt” and never left any stone unturned in his quest. Ted Hake told me once that Rich was relentless. 

I never knew the man, but it's always nice to read good comments from others about people.  Sometimes that reflects almost as much on the type of person they were.  R.I.P., good sir.

On 5/8/2023 at 11:45 AM, tb said:

I too held different political views from his. However, when he and I were alone, we would sometimes have conversations on highly divisive topics. Although I knew he disagreed fiercely, he would always listen respectfully and with interest to my side and neither of us ever got upset. Eventually, we'd just start talking about comics and art again. In my adult life, I've always made a particular effort to seek out friendships with people that I disagreed with politically and I felt a kinship with Rich in this respect. On rare occasions, as much as he hated it, he would even hint to me that he might have been wrong about something. For all the years that I knew him, he kept a laminated copy of the poem below in clear view beneath the glass surface of his desk. He told me that he had moved it there from his office at the university when he retired as a Professor:

"Ozymandias" by Percy Bysshe Shelley.

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

Oh wow.  I remember reading this poem in jr. high or high school, and I don't think any poem hit me as hard or made me think as much as this one.  I still think of it as an adult for various reasons.

On 5/8/2023 at 12:38 AM, sfcityduck said:

Richard and I started corresponding a bit when I sold him a copy of FC456, which I gathered was his favorite book.  It was a census topping copy and he was concerned enough about the book that he offered to fly my wife and I to New Orleans so I could personally deliver the book and hang out with him at his house.  I regret turning down his offer but I was busy with cases.  

Richard was kind enough to share with me stories and information about his early days of collecting.  I am grateful for his generosity. In one of our exchanges he posted something I feel compelled to share:

-------------------------------------

Richard,

I am just curious if you bought, or know who bought, the Barks bound volume inscribed to Malcolm Willits.  I don't want to harass the owner or seek to buy it, but I am curious if it found a good home.  I know you love ducks, and that bound volume is, in my opinion, an important historical document that deserves to be owned by a true duck lover.  On the off chance you don't know what I'm referring to, this is a link.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/humor/dell-giant-comics-bound-volume-signed-by-carl-barks-dell-1949-51-/a/122049-11117.s?type=lotlink--bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

Hope you are happy and healthy!  Stay safe.

Alec

—————————————

Alec,

I did not buy the volume, and neither of the two major duck collectors I talk with most frequently didn't buy it either.  However, I think the bidding was strong enough that it went to a collector who will treasure it.

Mal did write me in early 2020 and say that he had decided to stop going to doctors and taking his meds because he had had enough.  He died a few months later and I think of his handwritten letter to me as a sad but important piece of comic history.  Leonard Brown and I had a mail-order comic business.  When I didn't want to open a store with Leonard, he found Mal and they opened Collectors Book Store in 1964.  The three of us would have lunch together when I visited my parents at Christmas in Long Beach.  I visited Leonard for a week before he died, and Mal joined us one day and I treasure the picture Leonard's wife took of the three of us as it was the last time we were all together.  We liked to think that we were one of the driving forces in developing the rare comic business in Southern California.   

Now they have both died and I am 76 and when my time comes, it will mark the end of an important chapter in the history of our hobby.

Take Care,

Richard

I remember that auction and I think Rich and I corresponded about it because it was such a unique item and featured such wonderful Barks comics. I've no idea who won that auction but it is certainly a treasure!!

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 5/8/2023 at 9:45 AM, tb said:

I too held different political views from his. However, when he and I were alone, we would sometimes have conversations on highly divisive topics. Although I knew he disagreed fiercely, he would always listen respectfully and with interest to my side and neither of us ever got upset. Eventually, we'd just start talking about comics and art again. In my adult life, I've always made a particular effort to seek out friendships with people that I disagreed with politically and I felt a kinship with Rich in this respect. On rare occasions, as much as he hated it, he would even hint to me that he might have been wrong about something. For all the years that I knew him, he kept a laminated copy of the poem below in clear view beneath the glass surface of his desk. He told me that he had moved it there from his office at the university when he retired as a Professor:

"Ozymandias" by Percy Bysshe Shelley.

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

That poem always makes me emotional.

Thank you for sharing it, especially in this context. 

On 5/7/2023 at 8:58 PM, sfcityduck said:

And here's an interview of Richard that he sent me. Probably not a surprise to some here that I like comic history.  So I was grateful that Richard shared this material with me. I re-read these after reading this thread, it was nice to see the stories again and the posts above by others with more to share.  I didn't really know him well, but I'm grateful for his generosity.  He emailed me once: "If we ever get the chance to visit, I will tell you some amazing stories." I never did. I really am glad that others who knew him are sharing those stories and that some of them ended up being put  down on paper like the interview below. One of the last communications began with the statement "Comics have always been a part of my life, sometimes a large part, and I have been fortunate to be involved at just the right time."  Later the discussion turned to a particular issue of Uncle Scrooge in high grade, but hadn't found one for all his efforts. He stated:

The juxtaposition of the statement about how he'd been fortunate be involved at just the right time in the 1950s-1960s, and how it was still "just the right time" because great books (like, he hoped, a US 6) found back then would be coming to market is something I found touching. It was a mixture of optimism, delight, maybe a bit of melancholy, but mostly something I'd call wisdom.  My sympathies to his family and you folks here who knew him much better than me.

image.jpeg.1393a6b9d2584cc4ce19a40b44c5ce28.jpeg

Great article. I especially enjoyed the insight that the older comic book collectors c.1960 valued the comic strip reprints more than superhero books, and even priced the Flash Gordon Feature Books higher than Superman #1. 

Edited by Sarg
typo

On 5/9/2023 at 9:02 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Rich and I were both big fans of the entire Dell comics line. Besides the Yellow Kid he was also a big fan of Little Orphan Annie and I would occasionally pick up a Dell comic or a reprint volume featuring her stories. Rich knew them all and would tell me which ones to look out for in the comic strip continuity. He was one of the few on the boards who appreciated my interest in all things Dell. We would even discuss the evolution of the Dell logo and Rich of course had every book featuring the obscure horse logo.

LOA152-1.thumb.jpg.42c9ee70c32ca6e8647d3f069bfc3a83.jpg

As for Looney Tunes Rich always told me that while Leonard's store had high grade copies of all the early Disney comics that he never could find high grade early issues of Looney Tunes. So it is likely they are much rarer than their contemporary Disney books. When I got the book below for a bargain price Rich was pleased and reminded me again how infrequently one sees these early issues. Looking at the book below I just realized we never discussed the "L&M comics" logo!!

LTMM7Cover.thumb.jpg.5823d0241945ff0042c0501208248f93.jpg

:applause:Great post!

I do recall him mentioning to me that he did think the early LTMM issues were rarer than their Disney contemporaries as well. I found that fascinating. But the early issues are 'timed' with Bugs' 'rising star' years, so it makes sense to me in that regard. 

I know that it's been discussed in a Thread sometime before (i believe) but i forget. Just what exactly is the 'L&M' logo? Early variant? Co publishing (like National/All American)?

(Not to derail Thread)